Jump to content
Powerhouse Productions

The Eighth Wonder

Recommended Posts

There are 7112 video clips in the new Select US$399 high-quality category at the moment.   Of those 7112 clips, 2747 of them are by Eight Wonder; around 38%, who also dominate the standard non-select categories with Crossroads. Select membership is only by invitation which is confusing me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Powerhouse Productions said:

There are 7112 video clips in the new Select US$399 high-quality category at the moment.   Of those 7112 clips, 2747 of them are by Eight Wonder; around 38%, who also dominate the standard non-select categories with Crossroads. Select membership is only by invitation which is confusing me.

Interestingly, on Sunday I noticed that Eighth Wonder that apparently had 12 million videos (SS glitch) here, had, in fact, only 176. When I clicked on their footage portfolio, first it registered 12 million+ but ran out on page 2 on row 19 ie 100+(19x4) = 176. Clever that they've added 2,500+ since Sunday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been saying this for a long time.
I believe SS has had a long term plan to separate professional/bulk buyers and contributors from amateur/small buyers and contributors. They have premium sites for images, sounds, editorial and now footage. The latest addition of separating footage just confirms my suspicions.
I can only assume this is to protect their sales. They are making a two tier business. Big businesses are always going to want to pay for their content with the legal security that offers, among other things, but for relatively small buyers the market place is changing with sites offering free quality content. I think SS is preparing itself for the possible need to offer free content in the future, or that free content elsewhere will harm sales or drive down prices at SS (They could keep prices high on the premium sites because they wont be effected, different customers entirely). Separating them makes sense from a business point of view.
Professional buyers want technically as well as visually pro quality content. Buyers that are only displaying on the web (for example) aren't bothered about quality so long as it looks good to them on the screen. That's why in part, imo, they let anyone submit to SS now and quality standards for reviews has dropped, oh and the support that has been put in the hands of contributors. It's all a dumbing down of the SS site. None of these things are likely to apply to the premium sites. I guess they get all the attention now. And that will keep SS the company in business.
That leaves us, the bulk of their contributors, in a poor position though. 
Eighth Wonder are one of the lucky ones, benefiting twice from all the changes. The least SS could do is keep the playing field even on their original site, and stop favouring the premium site sellers here. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stevemart said:
9 hours ago, Powerhouse Productions said:

There are 7112 video clips in the new Select US$399 high-quality category at the moment.   Of those 7112 clips, 2747 of them are by Eight Wonder; around 38%, who also dominate the standard non-select categories with Crossroads. Select membership is only by invitation which is confusing me.

Interestingly, on Sunday I noticed that Eighth Wonder that apparently had 12 million videos (SS glitch) here, had, in fact, only 176. When I clicked on their footage portfolio, first it registered 12 million+ but ran out on page 2 on row 19 ie 100+(19x4) = 176. Clever that they've added 2,500+ since Sunday!

Apparently we all see different numbers. I see that Eighth Wonder has 2,337 videos, 2,250 of those are on select, (when the filter is on).

Anyway, I just got the email and the FAQ is of great consolation:

Quote

Shutterstock Select opens our footage collection up to a new premium audience and is not expected to  cannibalize earnings from our Core collection.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

They have premium sites for images, sounds, editorial and now footage. The latest addition of separating footage just confirms my suspicions.

I don't know, this is what they say in the new FAQ:

Quote

 

Will Select be open for content other than video?

We are launching with video content only at the moment, but if the addition of other types of content becomes possible, we will reach out to our contributor community.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They already have other sites, all for and by the 'elite', like Offset, Premium Beat, Shutterstock Premier. And now footage has been added to the list with this new site. I think they just intend it for footage, because the other areas are already covered, but they could add images if they think it will get more sales I guess.

https://www.offset.com/?kw=shutterstock offset&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q_u7MH53gIVS7vtCh2QtwRSEAAYAiAAEgKLHvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.premiumbeat.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0oPtuML53gIVCZ3tCh0gAQ8kEAAYASAAEgI0UPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://premier.shutterstock.com/en/collections/editorial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Linda Bestwick said:

I believe SS has had a long term plan to separate professional/bulk buyers and contributors from amateur/small buyers and contributors.

Yes, I think you’re right. Premium and ordinaty sites. And also that SS sometime in the future will offer downloading for free on a  ‘junk’-site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this separation based on individual images or the contributor in general? If for example someone (like me) generally shoots ho-hum things, but occasionally comes away with something nice - would that specific image have a chance to end up in a "selected" collection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Simone Hogan said:

Is this separation based on individual images or the contributor in general? If for example someone (like me) generally shoots ho-hum things, but occasionally comes away with something nice - would that specific image have a chance to end up in a "selected" collection?

Contributor based. But having said that I think their other sites also have the whole catalogue available to the customers too. I remember this being discussed about one of them offering images, but I forget which one now. 
May be someone knows more, I don't know much about the other sites tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simone & Linda,

I was recently advised that one of the Shutterstock Premier customers wanted to purchase a license for one of my images, which I understand will be paid at the Premier rate (what ever that is).  I don't think we can draw any hard and fast rules based upon this, but it appears that the "whole catalogue" is available to Premier clients here at SS.  Whether it (my image) ends up as a Premier image, I doubt it.

Hope this helps.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...