Auto-rasterization for vectors is now live! ×

Since over 24 hours, the Most Popular tab for video shows Crossroads portfolio on first pages, when using very common keywords like "man", "woman", "4k", "video", "technology", "computer" etc. For every search terms like these and others, Crossroads gets the first 20 - 25 results from several thousands or tens of thousands pages. How can this be?

Doesn't seem to matter which subject you search for, you'll always get footage from 'Crossroads' who appears to have a total of only 297 videos. I think that is is what one would deem 'cybercrime' because SS footage search has been hacked and any proceeds should be forfeited. Dunno how it's been done but it has been 'done'.

Edit: Found some exceptions. He/she seems to have all the seasons covered except 'Spring' and silly keywords like 'farting' do bring up videos but not from 'Crossroads'.

It seems that the search terms for which Crossroads shows first are those used by him for his clips, and he is covering pretty much every common search term, like "4k", "video", "footage", "clip" etc, then general terms like "man", "woman", "computer", "technology" and so on. I also think it is not his/her fault, it is rather another SS broken thing, and unbelievably not fixed yet, maybe not noticed by them. Lucky Crossroads... but not fair for the real Most Popular.

29 minutes ago, Adrian Grosu said:

It seems that the search terms for which Crossroads shows first are those used by him for his clips, and he is covering pretty much every common search term, like "4k", "video", "footage", "clip" etc, then general terms like "man", "woman", "computer", "technology" and so on. I also think it is not his/her fault, it is rather another SS broken thing, and unbelievably not fixed yet, maybe not noticed by them. Lucky Crossroads... but not fair for the real Most Popular.

Of course he also has 'tomatoes'. 🙂 He may have the most popular searches covered but it beats me how he manages to get almost the entire first page of 'aerial' for himself. I didn't count but he has at least all of the first 20 or 30 videos on that first page. If something in footage most popular search is broken it's broken really badly and this guy knows how to 'ab'use it to his advantage and everyone elses disadvantage. I don't do footage so this doesn't really concern me. If I did, I would be seriously pi**ed at ** for letting this happen.

This is very weird. Has anyone reported this?  @Alex Shutterstock

Some of those clips aren't even related to the search term, yet show up on page 1 of the results! For instance this one here, of two guys jumping into a water hole. On page 1 of search results for "WOMAN"!  https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1012276619-guys-jumping-into-water-swimming-friends-near

Yes, this looks very suspicious.  Look at Shutterstock's entire video video library sorted by "popular" or "best match" and it's all Crossroads on page 1.

I also can't help but notice that it looks like this contributor has basically re-shot some of my best selling clips, and now these clips are taking all the top places.

Not only is this bad for contributors but I think Shutterstock is being hurt as a whole,  try searching "office"  everything you see on the top of page 1 is all the same talent, location etc.  basically the same shots over and over, buyers are going to quickly move on to other sites that have more diversity in the search results. 

7 hours ago, Simone Hogan said:

Some of those clips aren't even related to the search term, yet show up on page 1 of the results! For instance this one here, of two guys jumping into a water hole. On page 1 of search results for "WOMAN"!  https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1012276619-guys-jumping-into-water-swimming-friends-near

I do see two women in that video sharing the water with the guys. Perhaps Crossroads should have typed "women" instead of "woman."

These forums are mainly user to user help with an occasional moderator who can just relay messages.

Support and queries like this are always best sent to the proper email address where a ticket and job will be generated.

Also i think its a US holiday this weekend so nobody may read it for days.

1 hour ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

I think it is just that the preview versions are all low definition.  My videos look way fuzzier on the SS website than they do on my computer. 

Indeed, and his/her works are pretty good, but that's not the point. Nobody, even the best of us here, is not THAT good to get the first 2,5 pages from 124,813. This hurts all the video producers here.

55 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

And notice he always mentions RED camera in the captions - is this allowed? Are the clips also commercials?

I also notice a number of contributors add the keyword "gopro" to their GoPro videos that they submit to SS and also include it in the title as well. I didn't think they were allowed to use company / brand names for commercial videos though I wasn't 100% sure that the clips were commercial.

7 hours ago, Adrian Grosu said:

Indeed, and his/her works are pretty good, but that's not the point. Nobody, even the best of us here, is not THAT good to get the first 2,5 pages from 124,813. This hurts all the video producers here.

For sure!  My gut feeling is that this is another SS bug and he is the lucky recipient of the results, if not and he actually manipulated it by hacking, well that is even scarier.....

Checking now the video most popular for "technology", a new portfolio appears - Gorodenkoff - a +14.400 clips portfolio - and this, together with Crossroads, are populating the first twenty pages or more, mixed with very few others. It is obviously a malfunction... What I'm speechless about is Shutterstock lack of reaction, like they don't even know about this happening. I cannot understand this lack of interest about their own business and credibility.

24 minutes ago, Adrian Grosu said:

Checking now the video most popular for "technology", a new portfolio appears - Gorodenkoff - a +14.400 clips portfolio - and this, together with Crossroads, are populating the first twenty pages or more, mixed with very few others. It is obviously a malfunction... What I'm speechless about is Shutterstock lack of reaction, like they don't even know about this happening. I cannot understand this lack of interest about their own business and credibility.

not really an excuse, but this is their biggest holiday week end 

2 minutes ago, jean-francois.me said:

not really an excuse, but this is their biggest holiday week end 

Indeed not an excuse at all. Imagine this happening not for two days but for two minutes at Facebook or Youtube, big holiday or not.

1 minute ago, Adrian Grosu said:

Indeed not an excuse at all. Imagine this happening not for two days but for two minutes at Facebook or Youtube, big holiday or not.

different models.  i am sure most  buyers are not noticing, since it appears operational, plus many are not using service