12 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

In one month, Steven. I thought I had written this understandably: 30 (+) downloads per day on average multiplied by 30 or 31 days. Sorry if that was formulated in a misleading way.

At the moment this is about 17 downloads.

Still very impressive... I have a grand total of 35 downloads so far this month... mostly subs. :wacko:

12 hours ago, Svarun said:

I can already tell this is my worst month in SS ever.
I have 40% smaller portfolio on AS then on SS and it generated me 250% more income this month. Seems that the gap between AS and SS becoming wider and wider.

This is so interesting, just goes to show how unpredictable microstock is! Last couple of months I had the same experience - AS beat SS despite a much smaller port there. But this month is already my best ever here at SS, and over $150 ahead of AS. Will see what the rest of the month brings, it's fun to watch these two ponies race against each other.

3 hours ago, Matylda Laurence said:

will look into your mention of the Sony RX 100 series but as a non techie photographer need an almost point and shoot that isn't heavy to carry around and can be used instead of my iPhone when out and about...

Then the RX100 would be perfect for you. It literally fits into a jeans pocket, and the quality is way better than that from a phone. Personally I bought it because it offers all the manual features of a "real" camera in that tiny package, but it also has an "Intelligent Auto" setting that works surprisingly well. The viewfinder is a bit tiny, but it beats trying to frame a picture while looking at a monitor in bright daylight. (Make sure you get one of the newer models that have the pull out viewfinder. Well worth it.)

@Matylda Laurence

https://www.sony.de/electronics/cyber-shot-kompaktkameras/dsc-rx100m6

Like Milo said, the viewfinder is a little small.
I almost never use it, which leads to poor image control in strong sunlight. 
I also have "better" cameras, but the RX 100 M6 (with the large zoom range) is the one I use most often. It has more functions than a A7 II. 
Ideal for snapshot photographers and quick-shooting artists like me, maybe not so great for long composed landscape shots.
As a bonus on top of that, there's an incredible slow-motion function for videos, which is fun and produces amazing results.  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

EDIT example RX 100 SloMo

https://www.shutterstock.com/de/video/clip-1015185958-newly-married-couple-sawing-wooden-trunk-decorated

10 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

With images like mine, you can run Microstock. But you can't win a professional photo prize with it.

Because they are amazing 3D renders, you don't even need a camera. I know it is hard work but why don't you do some more of it.

9 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Wilm,

Am I right that some of your images are 3D renderings? If so, what program do you use to create them? They look awesome 3D or otherwise. 

Yes, you are right, Steven. Those 3D images were created with Strata Design 3D CX. But I wouldn't recommend this software. I only use it because I have done so since 25 years - so I've got my routines.

I'd recommend 3D studio max, Cinema 4D or maybe Blender which is for free as far as I know.

2 hours ago, geogif said:

Ideal for snapshot photographers and quick-shooting artists like me

thank you geogif that sounds just the thing for me as I too shoot whatever takes my fancy at the time .. unfortunately though much of my photo library is not acceptable for MS as have tried and had some accepted but mostly too much noise for SS (film scans) - it was the uniqueness of the shot that prompted the action as I wanted to preserve a moment in time, that to me was of particular interest so thanks again and will definitely take a look at the link best M

58 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Because they are amazing 3D renders, you don't even need a camera. I know it is hard work but why don't you do some more of it.

I could simply say, that I'm too lazy, Whiteaster.

But of course it's not that simple.

First of all I have to say that I do a lot of 3D work in my normal job. Sometimes, if you've been doing this all day, you just don't feel like creating more 3D work in your spare time.

But there are other aspects.

I'm sure you've read the contributions of Doug Jensen, the videographer. He sees things from a purely economic perspective. And in the end, it's the same for me.

I have 5 images with more than 1,000 downloads here at shutterstock:
- 3 photos/snapshots
- 1 3D rendering
- 1 2D Photoshop image

Of the 3 photos, 2 are pure snapshots - time required a few seconds, and one photo taken specifically with a tripod - time required 5 minutes. Plus about 30 minutes each for keywords and upload at different agencies. The resulting hourly wage is gigantic.

The 2D and 3D work is also a lot of fun, but the time needed is much higher. So these images are much more uneconomical.

The problem is that you don't know in advance whether an image will start at all these days. With a photo/snapshot the loss of time is of course much less than with a 3D rendering. For example, if I spend 5 hours to create a 3D scenario and it doesn't sell at all afterwards, the frustration is of course much higher than with a photo.

23 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

The problem is that you don't know in advance whether an image will start at all these days. With a photo/snapshot the loss of time is of course much less than with a 3D rendering. For example, if I spend 5 hours to create a 3D scenario and it doesn't sell at all afterwards, the frustration is of course much higher than with a photo.

I see and that is so true. I was only thinking at the artistic part, the closest to my heart but that, on its own doesn't bring food at the table.

2 minutes ago, Srinivasan.Clicks said:

From 20 may 2020 to till date. no sales.

any idea? anyone facing same scenario?

Maybe another test change in search algorithm? For me it was opposite - Sales skyrocketing on the 20th and 21st. Felt especially odd since yesterday was a public Holiday in many European countries and I expeted sales to be as low as on weekends.
Today on the other hand Shutterstock is completely dead for me so far. Very erratic sales pattern, it seems.

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

On the topic, my sales sank very low this week, what is going on?

1 hour ago, Srinivasan.Clicks said:

From 20 may 2020 to till date. no sales.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I have noticed a drop in downloads since 20th of May.

1 hour ago, Charles Lewis said:

Yes, this week has been slow.

So everything seems to be business as usual.
From the handful of contributors that are represented in the forum, everything and nothing can be concluded. 

My sales have picked up this week, yesterday and today were especially good, finally a video sale for good money. 

SS has reconquered a lot of land this week - with me.
But even this single fate is, like everything we read here, just a single fate. 
Any conclusions like changes of the algorithm, new strategist at SS or political upheavals in the selling countries can be drawn from it of course.
But one should not fall into the mistaken belief that these conclusions have more value than play money. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

So this past week i squeezed in:

SS : 10 sales - all subs

AS : Zero

AL : Nada

P5 : Zilch

AL and P5 have basically died... granted I have small ports (AL = 774 images / P5 = 300 vids) but it's basically come down to these agencies having no future for me and the direction microstock is heading probably very little if anything I can do about it. I have 530 files on DT but gave up on this agency months ago. Started on IS a couple of months ago and low sales there to date. Really only leaves SS and AS as the only hope for anything worth continuing with.    

On 5/21/2020 at 9:21 PM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Back then, the database was many times smaller. That meant that one picture - compared to today - could achieve a lot of downloads. And shutterstock's algorithm does not forget or bury these images.

I think that's what happening to me since I started here very late... My tropical island and lighthouse renderings sold many times in other agencies but not regularly or even once here. My sales is general are very low compared to the size of the work I'm doing. Barely hits the lower limit. 

7 hours ago, KeremGogus said:

I think that's what happening to me since I started here very late... My tropical island and lighthouse renderings sold many times in other agencies but not regularly or even once here. My sales is general are very low compared to the size of the work I'm doing. Barely hits the lower limit. 

Your renderings look like a lot of work, Kerem. And you have 10 times the amount of imagery. You must be a very hardworking person.

I have some images that sell very well at all agencies. But I also know what you are writing: Many other images only make sales at one agency, at the other agencies they have not even been sold. And that's why, in my opinion, it's so important not to depend on a single agency, and to spread content.

8 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

So this past week i squeezed in:

SS : 10 sales - all subs

AS : Zero

AL : Nada

P5 : Zilch

AL and P5 have basically died... granted I have small ports (AL = 774 images / P5 = 300 vids) but it's basically come down to these agencies having no future for me and the direction microstock is heading probably very little if anything I can do about it. I have 530 files on DT but gave up on this agency months ago. Started on IS a couple of months ago and low sales there to date. Really only leaves SS and AS as the only hope for anything worth continuing with.    

I can tell you that for me IS still works very well and at the moment they gave me more revenue per income than SS.

And with DT don't give up there... usually I don't get many sales, but when they happen they are very satisfying

My bestellers are completely different on each agency. My besteller on Adobe for example has sold over 170 times since I uploaded it maybe 8 months ago, but not one single time on SS. It has also earned me more money than my top 5 bestsellers on SS combined.

Tht's why I still firmly believe that sheer luck and how your image is placed based on this plays a much bigger factor than some people like to admit.