Blue Corner Studio

if you discovered that an old (accepted) photo wouldn't pass by today's standards

Hi! If I may pick your brain regarding a small dilemma!? Should you sell an old photo of yours (uploaded years ago), but taking a closer look, you realize that this photo would get rejected on several fronts today! would you delete it? the photo in question is a streetscape with heavy car traffic and several of the license plates are legible. further more some of the car brands and logos are easy to make out too. it was uploaded and accepted some 3-4 years ago, when this obviously was not reason for rejection. there is also more noise in it than I would ideally like, but that doesn't bother me all that much (considering the 25 cents price). I suppose I have similar ones up there, should I bother and take the time going through them. What would you do? On the one hand I feel I should delete it (and perhaps upload es editorial? but quality-wise it probably would not pass today). On the other hand I am risking that someone finds it objectionable to suddenly discover his/ her license plate in the photo! Thanks.

If it was accepted as commercial, then, yes, I would delete it.
Not because of some Shutterstock rule, but because I am the one responsible for the content of my port and I am the one who will be held accountable if one of these brands decided to sue for usage of their logo in a commercial context. It's unlikely to happen, but why risk it for a few cent?

Thanks Firn! You are right. Good point. I will delete it. Mind you, if everybody acted in a similar way (delete old photos that "violate" today's acceptance standards), chances are that there would be a significant (!) percentage of reduction in the available "database" or offering. And it would be a serious hassle at sites like iS, where you have to request a delete and assign case number, etc. explain why you wanna delete it and wait till they eventually do it. But! it sounds to be the right way. Cheers!

I'm surprised it was accepted as commercial in the first place. SS are very fussy about cars. 

On 5/1/2020 at 6:58 AM, Istvan Balogh said:

Hi! If I may pick your brain regarding a small dilemma!? Should you sell an old photo of yours (uploaded years ago), but taking a closer look, you realize that this photo would get rejected on several fronts today! would you delete it? the photo in question is a streetscape with heavy car traffic and several of the license plates are legible. further more some of the car brands and logos are easy to make out too. it was uploaded and accepted some 3-4 years ago, when this obviously was not reason for rejection. there is also more noise in it than I would ideally like, but that doesn't bother me all that much (considering the 25 cents price). I suppose I have similar ones up there, should I bother and take the time going through them. What would you do? On the one hand I feel I should delete it (and perhaps upload es editorial? but quality-wise it probably would not pass today). On the other hand I am risking that someone finds it objectionable to suddenly discover his/ her license plate in the photo! Thanks.

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a nighttime bridge shot.  I originally uploaded this shot as commercial and it was accepted as such.  I did so because it was a public-use facility, and I could not confirm private ownership through an extensive on-line search.

stock-photo-november-frankenmuth-mi-one-

It sold once as commercial, but something always nagged me about that, so I deleted it and resubmitted as editorial.  Even though it has not sold since, I still have more peace-of-mind about that decision.  

On 5/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, Phil Lowe said:

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a nighttime bridge shot.  I originally uploaded this shot as commercial and it was accepted as such.  I did so because it was a public-use facility, and I could not confirm private ownership through an extensive on-line search.

stock-photo-november-frankenmuth-mi-one-

It sold once as commercial, but something always nagged me about that, so I deleted it and resubmitted as editorial.  Even though it has not sold since, I still have more peace-of-mind about that decision.  

Thanx Phil! I side with you. Beautiful bridge photo incidentally!! Even Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep would be proud of it : )! I did delete the photo in question after all. blurred out all the license plates, re-uploaded it and got accepted too :). Not a sure thing these days! It even sold ones since! Unfortunately (?) it's starting from fresh from the ranking point of view. But if intended as a commercial photos it's sometimes impossible to resubmit it as editorial due to the editing. Only Dreamstime accepts it as editorial, despite of some monkeying with the photo. Just yesterday they "knocked down" from commercial to editorial for me. Strange in many ways, because it's a b&w (as editorial??) with some editing. Oh well. Whatever!