Hi all! I'm a fairly new contributor and I was wondering, am I allowed to post designer clothing in my images, do I need some kind of permission from the designer or are just the model releases enough? This particular clothes doesn't have a visible logo on it and it's not unique in the scence there is only one piece in the world, but it is fairly unique and recognizable, some pieces also have hand-made embroidery (which is kinda generic etno embroidery work) but it, combined with the type of old cotton material and cut, makes for some pretty unique dresses. Check out the attachment to see what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance! :)

Screenshot_20200501-040004~2.png

Screenshot_20200501-040046~2.png

If there are no visible brand logos and Shutterstock reviewers don't recognize these as designer clothes, which I assume they will not, then you will not have a problem getting them accepted without a property release.
However - this does not mean you can't be held legaly accountable for this. If the designer of this clothes recognizes his work and has not given you permission to sell these photos, he can still sue you.

Get a property release for designer clothes, or use generic clothes.
You might get away with them being accepted like Firn says, but it doesn't mean that it's OK.
SS require releases to protect themselves, you as a contributor, the buyers, and the copyright owners of the property, in this case the clothes. Get a release and everyone stays happy, don't and you open up a whole host of possible problems.
Nice images btw :)

On the one hand, where do you stop - I mean, every item of clothing is designed in some way, even the ones we call "generic". Someone made a decision on how wide a stripe might be, where to place a button, things like that. So, in general, I would say those kind of dresses are fair game, as they do not contain any logos.

BUT, and this is a huge BUT: your particular image here seem to specifically feature the dresses. They look like something that came out of a commercial shoot you did for the designer. There is no other story to these images - the dresses are the main subject and focal point. So, with that in mind, I would not upload to stock unless the designer is ok with that.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, Tavor Photo said:

Thanks for the info! I will listen to your advice and get a property release before uploading them. Cheers!

Shutterstock would not require a property release for these, but you might want one for your own protection, or at least get the designer's permission in writing.