Sign in to follow this  
Sigitas Duoblis

Incredible rejections!

Can anyone explain for me? All rejections is 

image.png.85211c7ecf64b5fc27188832ae8a6b7a.png

And it is my Title: Lancashire hotpot is a stew originating from Lancashire in the North West of England. It consists of lamb or mutton and onion, topped with sliced potatoes and baked in a heavy pot on a low heat.

Reads like an encyclopedia entry rather than a photo caption ("is a") ("it consists") --  

A LOT of people seem to misunderstand the "title must be 'descriptive'" part and think they need to describe what the subject in the photo is all about, instead of describing what is to be seen in the photo. I have a degree in art history and describing images was a major part of my studies and these kind of descriptions make me cringe a lot. It's all wrong and not helpful to the customer, because the image will show up when people search for wors like "North", "West", "low heat" or "heavy pot" - all things that can't be found in the photo. (And before someone starts that argument - YES, words from the title are included in the search. It has been tested and proven in the forum many times)

However, I don't think this was the problem here, because I see these kinds of descriptions on Shutterstock all the time. I think the reviewer did not know what "Lancashire" is.

1 hour ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

And it is my Title: Lancashire hotpot is a stew originating from Lancashire in the North West of England. It consists of lamb or mutton and onion, topped with sliced potatoes and baked in a heavy pot on a low heat.

Best to avoid writing the description like you are teaching people something. Just describe what is in the image. I did a few like this a long time ago, I picked it up from someone else, but quickly discovered it isn't helpful. Describe instead what can be seen in the image or what the image portrays, such as emotion. So you could add 'comfort food' or 'hearty meal' to this description because it's describing what you can see. But you can't see it being baked in a heavy pot so don't add that. 
It's bland and not fancy but something along these lines would be better and less likely to cause a rejection: Lancashire hotpot. A traditional English stew with mutton, carrots and sliced potatoes. On a white plate, on a blue background, ready to be eaten.

3 minutes ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

Ok, what about this rejection

image.png.b5dff12718044199b5971fb1a7141338.png

My Title: Glass of red wine with a bottle and a corkscrew on a black background

That should have been OK. I'd have added with copy space ;)

Special characters can be hidden. Picked up accidentally when copying and pasting. If this is happening regularly to you I'd check that out. A long shot though because I doubt you needed to copy and paste anything for this title. 
To check, copy the title and paste it into a plain text document, special characters will show up if they are there.

9 minutes ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

Ok, what about this rejection

image.png.b5dff12718044199b5971fb1a7141338.png

My Title: Glass of red wine with a bottle and a corkscrew on a black background

Either the reviewer made a mistake or he was a grammar nazi rejecting this for not being a grammatically correct sentence. It is missing a verb.

That would be, while correct, splitting hair in my opinion. I use such descriptions a lot of times, because it is really needless to point out that an object is either standing in front of or lying on a background as that's what's to be expected. But if a reviewer was reeeeeaallly picky about getting a decription without any grammar errors, then the missing verb would be my guess. I do think (hope) that in this case simply a mistake was made.

6 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

That should have been OK. I'd have added with copy space ;)

Special characters can be hidden. Picked up accidentally when copying and pasting. If this is happening regularly to you I'd check that out. A long shot though because I doubt you needed to copy and paste anything for this title. 
To check, copy the title and paste it into a plain text document, special characters will show up if they are there.

Dear Linda. Thanks for your answer. Last resections was really strange. All my sets of different photos was recited for wrong title 

5 minutes ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

Dear Linda. Thanks for your answer. Last resections was really strange. All my sets of different photos was recited for wrong title 

I hope you can sort it out. I've noticed a rise in 'wrong' rejection threads, though I haven't had a problem myself (yet!), and there is always the possibility of reviewer error. But if it's the same rejection for the same images more than once, then I'd presume it's correct and try to change it. Otherwise you can just resubmit and see if they go through.
Might also be one image thatis wrong and they reject the rest of the batch, in which case submitting smaller batches my be less frustrating.

Good luck!

Its a pity that we have to have a thread to try and decipher the reason for the rejection. It is hardly beyond the wit of the reviewer to be specific instead of giving clues.

2 hours ago, noel bennett said:

Its a pity that we have to have a thread to try and decipher the reason for the rejection. It is hardly beyond the wit of the reviewer to be specific instead of giving clues.

It would be nice if there were a spot the reviewer could type in exactly what is wrong, like they do on another site.

6 hours ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

Dear Linda. Thanks for your answer. Last rejections was really strange. All my sets of different photos was recited for wrong title 

I had a set with different photos all rejected because they had to be Editorial

I think 1000 Words Photos has right with his answer:

I see here some pattern that several times were mentioned by other contributors in the forum. Indeed in the window there is a plant that shows a label with trademark. The reviewer simply stopped reviewing and rejected the whole bunch at once. 

Other possibility could be that he selected by accident all images when he added the rejection reason. This versions looks for me more realistic.

... I see now Linda gives about the same answer. 

20 hours ago, Sigitas Duoblis said:

FYI, on my wall, just behind the screen I have a few main info pages dictated by SS, one of which says: "BE CAREFUL, check that the title indicates precisely what you see on the image and not what as you imagine "sometimes I am wrong, it goes or not, but I try to keep myself in the spirit of SS.