AlanMorris

Cellphone for Stock Footage?

Is the quality of video produced by a phone like the Redmi Note 8T (48MP camera) or Redmi Note 8 Pro (64MP camera) likely to be acceptable for submission as stock footage?

I have mirrorless kit I use for images and could put this on a gimbal and I think I would have a chance of capturing some acceptable 4k video.

Putting a Redmi Note 8 on a much smaller and lighter gimbal would give me something that was a lot easier to carry, but I can't see that the quality would be anything like as good. It could be a complete non-starter for stock footage. An example of 2160p@30fps footage on a Redmi Note 8 Pro is available at https://youtu.be/nzDiM454jdw - is this acceptable?

A phone and a pocket gimbal is something that I'd likely have with me very often (e.g. when out walking or cycling) and so give a lot more opportunities to get footage where I would not be able to carry a camera, tripod and a bulky gimbal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Many Thanks,

Alan

I think you have already found the answer. There is trade off between convenience and quality. The cellphone will be easier to carry with a pocket gimbal (convenient) but with a smaller sized sensor, it will need good light to produce an acceptable footage. On the other hand, the mirror less will have a comparatively better sensor (quality) and thus, when light is either good or not that good, has a better chance to produce an acceptable footage. But as you pointed out it will be bulkier with it's gimbal.

Choice is yours to make.

Regards,

Rudra

Rudra and Mike,

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I've decided that the smartphone route offers me a way to try shooting stock footage and will enable me to do this in places I would not be able to carry my usual kit.

So, I'll be taking some first steps into footage over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for coming back to me.

Alan