Kate Shutterstock

Shutterstock launches a new footage subscription product

So, if I understand this correctly...the reason the rate card has such unrealistic targets for video is because SS is going to massively dump the prices on full size 4k video with these exciting new products?

And then they hope the sales volume will go up very drastically and voila! We can achieve our targets.

Is that really going to be the new reality? 4k video for 30 cents or 17 cents like on getty/istock?

I have some old content there and their system does not seem to have a limit, even sales for 4 cents are possible.But inspite of that the volume is nowhere near what it would need to be to replace an average of the 2o - 40 dollars or more for a normal video license.

I don‘t mind, if Shutterstock creates a new subs program with extremly low prices and gives artists a selevtive opt in. Especially for old content and outtakes, this can be a good win win for everyone.

But to take good and new content and offer that at a level slightly above free, there is no benefit. Maybe for the agency, because they get a super high total volume. But not for us.

If there is no opt out, we will be forced to send better content elsewhere, maybe even as exclusive content.

SS used to be my best agency for video. I will be really sorry to see it fall down.

Please reconsider.

What will be the lowest value for 4k video subs?

Will it also be ten cents?

Thanks for screwing us again.  I'm still reeling from looking at my earnings page loaded with 10 cent photo sales.  Even under the new pay structure I should have enough sales to be in a higher tier.  I mean REALLY SHUTTERSTOCK, do you have any idea how LITTLE MONEY 10 cents is?  REALLY???????!!!!!

On 6/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, MSPhotographic said:

Thanks for screwing us again.  I'm still reeling from looking at my earnings page loaded with 10 cent photo sales.  Even under the new pay structure I should have enough sales to be in a higher tier.  I mean REALLY SHUTTERSTOCK, do you have any idea how LITTLE MONEY 10 cents is?  REALLY???????!!!!!

They know exactly how little it is.  The arbitrary January 1'st reset to the bottom tier in pay tells you all you need to know about how much Shutterstock values you.  The inability to opt-out of the new abusive payment scheme tells you all you need to know about how much Shutterstock values you.

They are going to lose market share to Adobe Stock due to Adobe's deep integration with Creative Cloud.  They know they will lose this fight with Adobe, so now they are squeezing the last bit of profit they can out of the contributors as they ride the corpse of the company into the grave.  But they are not worried, they will land with golden parachutes.

The only way to stop them from using this abusive payment policy is to disable your catalog.  Shutterstock is nothing without it's contributor's catalogs.

7 hours ago, Jesse Stephens said:

They know exactly how little it is.  The arbitrary January 1'st reset to the bottom tier in pay tells you all you need to know about how much Shutterstock values you.  The inability to opt-out of the new abusive payment scheme tells you all you need to know about how much Shutterstock values you.

They are going to lose market share to Adobe Stock due to Adobe's deep integration with Creative Cloud.  They know they will lose this fight with Adobe, so now they are squeezing the last bit of profit they can out of the contributors as they ride the corpse of the company into the grave.  But they are not worried, they will land with golden parachutes.

The only way to stop them from using this abusive payment policy is to disable your catalog.  Shutterstock is nothing without it's contributor's catalogs.

I believe that is spot on, well written! "They are going to lose market share to Adobe Stock due to Adobe's deep integration with Creative Cloud."  And we should stand united to make an impact: "...disable your catalog.  Shutterstock is nothing without it's contributor's catalogs."

I'm waiting to see how many low value sales there are before I disable/delete my files. So far its not looking good. SS sold a hard to get wildlife shot for $3.98. Not letting my best work go that cheaply. I produce full time, returns like that make it unsustainable. 

On 6/7/2020 at 4:12 PM, Jesse Stephens said:

I know. You are right.  Actually I think Shutterstock knew from day one they had created an un-sustainable business model and were planning to milk it for everything they could and get out before the bottom fell out.  That seems to be a common business model these days.  I'm actually surprised they have kept it going as long as they have.  

Any update on Opting Out of selling clips based on very low priced footage Subscriptions?

Well... This may be the end of me uploading.

During the last 5 days I've seen about 8 downloads for $1.14.

These used to be $30-40 EACH.

There's no reason for me to shoot for Shutterstock anymore.
It doesn't make sense financially speaking.

Best of luck you guys!

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.54.30 PM.png

On 7/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, Stock_Video said:

Best of luck you guys!

Good move! Shutterstock should shoot videos by themselves and could sell them as low as they want. :)

Kate wont reply! 

Her and the SS team are too busy coming up with ways to shaft their contributors in the ass.

First they STEAL 75% of your image earnings, now the doing the same with video.

SS is NOT WORTH IT - THEY RE A GREEDY THIEVING COMPANY - EXPLOITING ALL OF US HERE.

It is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that they don't care because as you can see little miss Kate is on her high horse and couldn't be bothered to reply to us "peasants" on this forum

You disgust me Kate, seriously!

On 4/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, James Jiao said:

I guess there must be a reason for SS to do so. Both SS and contributors want to earn more money. Maybe SS should explain that in the long run this new category may lead to an increase in the income? 

LOL! here ill explain it to you seeing as how naive you seem to be - THEY WANT MORE OF THE SALE MONEY TO PUT INTO THEIR POCKETS. Simple as that

On 7/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, Stock_Video said:

Best of luck you guys!

Almost double what I got paid!! A clip of mine sold for 66 cents. I've suspended video sales and if they don't offer opt out in a couple of weeks my library comes off SS. And I'm 99.9% sure an opt-out isn't coming.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mehdi Kasumov said:

I have had issue recently with my images being similar etc, i wrote to the SS, one of the contributors tried to explain situation, then we escalated it to the SS team, maybe this way we can reach them?

Nobody will answer you.  The problem is using AI instead of actual people.  If there is a picture of a bird lets say, in 3 totally different poses, views, close up, not, etc. you will get duplicate because AI see's the bird in all three.  It's been a joke and continues to be.  Besides that you will get a big .10 for what is accepted.  Worth your time?

On 8/5/2020 at 11:57 AM, akennedy1 said:

Almost double what I got paid!! A clip of mine sold for 66 cents. I've suspended video sales and if they don't offer opt out in a couple of weeks my library comes off SS. And I'm 99.9% sure an opt-out isn't coming.

This has been going on since June 1 and is not going to change.  Us lucky photographers get a big .10 for our work!  Took my images down in June as did a LOT of other photographers, video, and graphic designers.  And should you claw yourself up the ladder it doesn't much matter...photogs still getting .10 a majority of the time and come January 1 they put you right back down to the bottom at Level 1.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:41 AM, Quality Master said:

Kate wont reply! 

Her and the SS team are too busy coming up with ways to shaft their contributors in the ass.

First they STEAL 75% of your image earnings, now the doing the same with video.

SS is NOT WORTH IT - THEY RE A GREEDY THIEVING COMPANY - EXPLOITING ALL OF US HERE.

It is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that they don't care because as you can see little miss Kate is on her high horse and couldn't be bothered to reply to us "peasants" on this forum

You disgust me Kate, seriously!

and remember Oringer's twitter:  "get to work or go elsewhere"......such a caring attitude.  They are all thieves.