Kate Shutterstock

Shutterstock launches a new footage subscription product

"Disrupt the market"

They're even using the same words Getty used when they did the same for images a few years ago.  They really are as a deliberate act planning on doing to video what they did to images.

Disrupting by undercutting every other major company around and leaving no margin for contributors.

Good news! I have long wanted to leave for the exclusive POND5. And get my 60%, not 30. Now I will do it.

I read some forums and was surprised by the opinions about authors from Asian countries. I myself am from Azerbaijan. There is an opinion that we are satisfied with any miserable price. Everything in the world is relative, but not to such an extent. Personally, I am switching to exclusive on P5. It will take some time: analysis, pricing, removal. But the decision has already been made at our little family council.

Oh my... I've been contemplating leaving for some time now... This might just be the last drop to tip over the edge...

Not only that this will probably lead to less earnings, but it was communicated in such a lousy way. I am highly disappointed.

7 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

I load video to three agencies and non of the other two platforms sell videos anything near SS for me, so there's really no choice left the way I see it. Do  you guys get better sales of video elsewhere?

The prices of your videos will be reduced by 5-7 times.

If we all leave shutterstock, then buyers will follow us.

We are the foundation, and stock is just a store of our goods.

Here is a place that they will more likely respond and have to acknowledge us at some point. I've already left my comment to them and they responded and I sent them an email but only got an explanation of the plan. Contributors have to speak up on this!! https://www.facebook.com/Shutterstock/videos/223354345556489/

On 4/15/2020 at 1:58 PM, MJD Graphics said:

Yes, she is one of the admins on the forum. But the last few months not one admin has responded to any issues posted by contributors meaning they aren't taking any time checking the forum and only posting notifications like this.

That's why we have to make it public. They put us all in this forum to hide us from the public. We have to go to social media!! Start here 

On 4/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, Steve Strasser said:

Opt in?

I've just completed my first batch and finished my first csv metadata sheet. Today, 15th of april I was about to upload my very first footage on SS. Now I read this ... How SS treats its established contributors in turning this paltform into a bazar. In these difficult times, as some pointed out. I hope this petty price dumping does not contaminate other agencies. I am hesitating uploading my work on SS. I have 250 4k files. What would you suggest? Should I forget about SS?

By the look of it, you would be better off doing an exclusive with Pond5 or submit to Pond5 and AdobeStock, they still pay out pretty well for footage. 

Right. This move absolutely makes no sense whatsoever.

Shutterstock have so many clients and people keep uploading HQ content as it still makes little bit $$. With this move you will shake market enough to loose all good quality contributors.

Could we get OPT OUT or we will have to OPT OUT from Shutterstock ! @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock could you please throw some light at it ? 

17 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Just my personal experience but P5 and AS don't have anywhere near the video sales as SS. Granted have only about half the clips on AS and only been with P5 since Dec 19 but have more clips there. 

I agree, I've experienced the same as you--not many sales on P5 with many more clips, I'm doing better with video on ss.  Photographers are going to have to test it out for themselves and see where they make the most sales.

As I see, there are a lot of contributors on SS from such countries as Ukraine, Russia and others who are not that rich. They can make good content and if they earn about 500 per month it’s already good in these countries. If they get 1,000 dollar, it’s great when you live in Russia or Belarus. I live in Russia, I know people who already happy to be contributor of SS earning 200-300 dollar per month. That’s why SS do this. Unfortunately. They understand that for now they already have a lot authors from poor countries, these authors are ready to work for much lower price than European, American authors. 

To, 

The administater, Shutterstock

Thank you so much for including me one of your contributer in the company and approving my work..........wish you great success in difficult situations.