Kate Shutterstock

Shutterstock launches a new footage subscription product

Right that's it for me ShutterStock I will be closing my account here, I could earn more money on the UK benefit system if I was that way inclined. At a time when we all need rewarding for the hard work we put into this and especially at a time of uncertainty in the World you pull a trick like this. You have earned a good wack out of me over the years and now it has come to this.

Opera Snapshot_2020-04-15_205849_submit.shutterstock.com.png

As soon as I receive $ 3, I deactivate my portfolio. Until then, I will look for an alternative site. It is a big mistake in such a difficult economic time to make muddy water in your business. It is like the beginning of the end.

7 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Today we launched new footage subscription plans to serve the growing demand of Shutterstock customers who require continuous access to high quality footage for their content needs. You can learn more about these new plans by visiting the pricing page. Earnings from subscription products will be displayed in the “Clip packs” category of your Earnings Summary.   

+1 opt out 

24 minutes ago, CH Digital Media said:

Right that's it for me ShutterStock I will be closing my account here, I could earn more money on the UK benefit system if I was that way inclined. At a time when we all need rewarding for the hard work we put into this and especially at a time of uncertainty in the World you pull a trick like this. You have earned a good wack out of me over the years and now it has come to this.

Opera Snapshot_2020-04-15_205849_submit.shutterstock.com.png

Great port man, it would be a shame to sell all those videos for pennies. I have no answer to my question about the opt-out, so I guess deleting the remaining videos in my port is the only option.

I'm going completely exclusive at Pond5 now over this, no email telling me this was happening, it was an admin guy from Pond5 who e-mailed me to let me know what was happening here. Exploitation is second nature to ShutterStock now.  

Horrible betrayal of contributors by SS, and what an insult to do it in the middle of a pandemic when income is already down. Subscribers may not max out their downloads, but SS still makes their money on the subscription fee while contributors get their income cut but roughly 85% per clip! What an absolutely evil thing to do to your suppliers!

This is a huge step downward in the race to the bottom, and so short-sighted - remember how pricing plummeted on photo sales? No one benefits from that. With this new pricing in video, who can afford to hire models and take the time to create great content? There's no incentive, and certainly no sense that this is a sustainable business for the long term.

If SS thinks my work is only worth $3, then going forward I will only upload shots that I think are worth $3 - you know, like the terrible shots in Kate's portfolio. All my good content I will submit only to better agencies. I imagine others will do the same and the quality at SS will gradually get worse and outdated, until it's the K-Mart of stock footage.

Incredibly stupid move, SS, you've shot the whole industry in the foot.

14 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

What happened at Getty?

We get $0.02 or $0.03 for a photo sales a lot of the time which is completely insulting and they suddenly dropped the % from 20 to 15. There is also no way to know what this is based on it's completely erratic. Just another way to screw us. I stopped submitting to IS last October because of this. At least at SS we (still have the min of $0.25 for an image) although I don't know how long that will last with this new CEO.

4 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

There does appear to be a complete absence of respect. Sad to hear how this has affected you and other contributors. All the best. 

I'm pretty resilient Debbie, it's been a long time coming for me as far as my relationship with SS is concerned, like I said before they are just like a slot machine company where punters put the cash in and SS take it out, not personal at any level, it used to be a long long time ago. But this is just a taster of what is to come, plenty more ways to exploit the producers. It's the timing that I just can't get, SS has really shown it's teeth. I will spend the tomorrow deleting as much as I can as I doubt I will get a quick response from the help centre to close my account.  

33 minutes ago, CH Digital Media said:

I'm going completely exclusive at Pond5 now over this, no email telling me this was happening, it was an admin guy from Pond5 who e-mailed me to let me know what was happening here. Exploitation is second nature to ShutterStock now.  

Opt in?

I've just completed my first batch and finished my first csv metadata sheet. Today, 15th of april I was about to upload my very first footage on SS. Now I read this ... How SS treats its established contributors in turning this paltform into a bazar. In these difficult times, as some pointed out. I hope this petty price dumping does not contaminate other agencies. I am hesitating uploading my work on SS. I have 250 4k files. What would you suggest? Should I forget about SS?

36 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

We get $0.02 or $0.03 for a photo sales a lot of the time which is completely insulting and they suddenly dropped the % from 20 to 15. There is also no way to know what this is based on it's completely erratic. Just another way to screw us. I stopped submitting to IS last October because of this. At least at SS we (still have the min of $0.25 for an image) although I don't know how long that will last with this new CEO.

Well done!

It is not Getty's or IS's fault but of those who let it happen. Desperate people who sell themselves for pennies don't deserve any better, no offense.

13 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Well done!

It is not Getty's or IS's fault but of those who let it happen. Desperate people who sell themselves for pennies don't deserve any better, no offense.

So true. There is a saying in my country that pretty much translates to “stupid is the one who gives not the one who demands”

4 hours ago, Stockbusters said:

I suggest considering the following options that allow to save quality content market:

1. Make it possible for the author to refuse to sell the video by subscription. 

2. Exclude 4K video from the subscription. 

3. Share the part of subscription payments from users to authors

+100000

1 hour ago, CH Digital Media said:

I'm pretty resilient Debbie, it's been a long time coming for me as far as my relationship with SS is concerned, like I said before they are just like a slot machine company where punters put the cash in and SS take it out, not personal at any level, it used to be a long long time ago. But this is just a taster of what is to come, plenty more ways to exploit the producers. It's the timing that I just can't get, SS has really shown it's teeth. I will spend the tomorrow deleting as much as I can as I doubt I will get a quick response from the help centre to close my account.  

No need to delete all those videos. You can disable the footage sales.479B4DBC-EDB1-497C-BFF5-FE5A63AB481F.jpeg.f55ebc9cf14f0014447e6be290cefc8f.jpeg

I am deeply distrusted by the lack of advance notice to contributors of such important changes.

I thought that the recent strict review was to collect high quality footage that can be sold at a high price.

The unit price of shutterstock's royalties is already far below that of other companies, and further reduction is unacceptable.

If you can't set the opt-out option, I should consider stopping posting footage.

In fact I deleted footage on Getty.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, EdgeOfReason said:

The Race to the Bottom just got an extreme turbo-boost. Please provide an option to Opt-out.

I guess they saw what Getty did to destroy the image market, liked what they saw and decided they could do the same for video.

Such a massive undercutting of everything else out there it undermines almost every other agency forcing them to do the same.  The result is contributors earn effectively nothing even for 4k clips.

They've managed to out-getty Getty.

Wasn't the T&C changed a little while ago that said we cannot opt out of these kind of licensing?

Im guessing they've had this planning a while and knew what the result was going to be so made sure there was no way of getting out of it before announcing it.  Again i guess they saw what happened at Getty/IS when they did this with images.  They know very well how unpopular this is and how much this will affect peoples earnings across the board.

I wouldn't trust SS not to keep selling my clips without my knowing to be honest, if they can pull a stunt like this during the Worlds worst disaster in a Century, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them now. They have exploited me enough over the past few years.

9 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

😥You could just turn them off per above?🤔