Video Subscriptions - a new way to earn even less money?

Yes.

Plus whatever other restrictions are with each license regarding how widely the clip gets distributed.

I.e. as Annie pointed out, the standard video license does not allow distribution over broadcast, just as a standard image license does not allow printing of more than a certain number of copies.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Anna Shutterstock, @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock, we are production studio that produces high quality advertisement content. We shooting about 600 footages in a month with the professional eq

That means nothing.  I've had many sales for only $2.00 starting last summer.  Did I quit SS? Did I run around saying the sky is falling?  No, I took the $2.00 sales and averaged them with the $400 sa

Just received this SS email which im sure is "yet another amazing earning opportunity". Subscriptions for video.  So they can seel them even cheaper. If they go for 20 clips a month that wor

Posted Images

Thanks Milo, that's what has me curious because I couldn't quite grasp what the lisenses are allowing / prohibiting. I always try to get as much as I can upload in commercial but if there are bigger sales from broadcast usage then editorial clips are certainly beneficial to have on the port as well. I'm thinking of clips of aerial footage of landmarks mainly in this context. 

41 minutes ago, Milo J said:

From CLIPS? You mean, he'd go through video footage frame by frame painting out stuff? Holy cow, he deserves every penny he ever made.

You can use masking in some editing software, such as Premiere Pro and Da Vinci, to taking out blemishes, remove stuff, or blur - or do a whole lot of things. I have used it a lot myself for various things.  

Here's just a quick video I found.

https://youtu.be/jU4U9r4cbAY

But even so, it can be very painstaking in some cases, others not so much, but worth it for the right clips.

1 hour ago, Milleflore Images said:

Here's just a quick video I found.

https://youtu.be/jU4U9r4cbAY

Those shots were extremely simple to fix, because the camera doesn't move, and the area is a non-distinct type of background. But if you were to try to blur out a logo on a building on a moving drone shot, that would be quite a bit more tricky and time consuming. You'd have to create a traveling matte, creating keyframes to follow the object.

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Those shots were extremely simple to fix, because the camera doesn't move, and the area is a non-distinct type of background. But if you were to try to blur out a logo on a building on a moving drone shot, that would be quite a bit more tricky and time consuming. You'd have to create a traveling matte, creating keyframes to follow the object.

Ive never tried it but After Affects now has content aware fill for video that might do what you say for less effort.

4 hours ago, Milo J said:

Yes, I use keyframes for moving objects, and not so difficult to create. But yes, it all can be a bit painstaking at times. It all depends. In M's case, it was definitely worth his time with those skylines and the sales he gets from them. 

I think if you have some great video that has potential to sell for those higher establishing shot amounts, then the extra time can be worth it to remove trademarks.

Richard, I heard of AE now having content aware, so thanks for that. That is a godsend. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had 10 video sales this month. Out of those only one was a subscription at $4. So far, I'm having much more of an issue with the ridiculous WIX specials of $0.60 - had 4 of those this month. Good news is that my average was brought up by a very generous $87 license, and remaining sales were at normal prices, so all good in the end.

In other words, contrary to what some people think, the sky is not falling.  Keep it up and you will continue to do well. It is the ones who just stay the course and don't let the lows and highs of this business bother them who be the ones who ultimately make decent money for their work.  Plant the seeds and leave them alone while you plant more seeds is my mantra.