Video Subscriptions - a new way to earn even less money?

That means nothing.  I've had many sales for only $2.00 starting last summer.  Did I quit SS? Did I run around saying the sky is falling?  No, I took the $2.00 sales and averaged them with the $400 sales (usually one per month) and $100+ sales (dozens per month).  In the mean time, I'm making more money per month that ever before and my average commission per download is still over $35.  Actually, over $60 if you just look at April.   It is the average download amount that matters -- or the earnings per month that matters.   Take your pick.  I am not going lose sleep over some $2.00 sales as long as the average remains high. The high and low commissions average out and only time will tell if I'll be making more money 6 months from now or not.

I know the threshold where it won't be worth it to me anymore to upload new content, and I am not even close to that number yet. Not close at all.

Some people just don't understand business.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Anna Shutterstock, @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock, we are production studio that produces high quality advertisement content. We shooting about 600 footages in a month with the professional eq

That means nothing.  I've had many sales for only $2.00 starting last summer.  Did I quit SS? Did I run around saying the sky is falling?  No, I took the $2.00 sales and averaged them with the $400 sa

Just received this SS email which im sure is "yet another amazing earning opportunity". Subscriptions for video.  So they can seel them even cheaper. If they go for 20 clips a month that wor

Posted Images

8 hours ago, kSergiUs said:

This is temporary. Sales have already appeared in my statistics - 2.77$, 4.77$

Same here. It will probably take a while until more customers move to the subscription plans, but it started. I just can't see how dropping the prices can mean same earnings on the longer run. Especially since we had the same pattern before, with pictures.

I can see how some customers looking for extended licenses will pay $100-400 for good content (Subs, if the license is not abused, only cover "web use, including social media and live performance"). For now.

Screenshot.png.439e8b4a380fcf061b511a1383ce8ba5.png

So I got my video subscription sales today. An incredibly profitable earning of $3.04 for a clip related to COVID-19.

I risk my health and life, not to mention my family members, to go out and take video of a crowded place, come back home, take hours to render everything in PRORES 422, and upload it to SS on a 5Mbps internet connection, just to get $3.04 out of it.

Thank you for screwing us, Shutterstock. 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Screaming Colors said:

Just find out about all of this, was wondering whats with all $3 sale I was getting.

Will stop to upload new content, everything new goes to AS & P5

Hi... I was very upset too when i started having extremely low sales ... but i like to mention that even though in may i had already 4 sales of 0.60 cents *video* ... and a couple of 4.77 s ... i also had some sales of 18 dollars and 3 sales of 40.20 .... so i wouldnt rush to take out the material of the website since there seems to be some normal usual video sales.. just mho .. cheers.

13 minutes ago, dani3315 said:

Since every contributor offers a unique portfolio that wont be the case. I would be more than happy to delete my video content and offer it else where I actually get some decent money. Just waiting on that 0.60 sale on specific content.

Yesterday i had a 0.60 sale and 2 x 40.20 + 2 of around $15 ...  ... i mean its horrible to see the 0.60s but i ended up making above $130 dollars in SS (with images) for the day which i cant consider bad at all ... while i was working remotely with a customer editing some photos that money arrived ... What i want to say is that the new video clip subscription and clip packs prices will impact sales? Perhaps .. theres a good possibilty .. but has it yet? not in my case... what will i do if sales drop to pennies (all of them) probably wouldnt shoot more .. but i will never take down my portfolio which is already online in SS ...  

3 hours ago, dani3315 said:

Since every contributor offers a unique portfolio that wont be the case.

Oh yes it will.  There is no subject matter in my portfolio that is unique to my portfolio. I have competition from other contributors for every clip I have submitted. So if some of those folks take their their portfolio down or stop submitting new content that might compete with my content, it is better for me.  Simple as that. 

If the average drops to the point it's no longer worth contributing, quit, stop contributing, do something else, while the too-low commissions from already submitted content keep trickling in--simple. 

Meanwhile, contributors like Doug who are making above $35 per clip average comission, save that money--that above $35 per clip average ain't gonna last forever!

Only time will tell.  But I'm not turning off the lights and putting up the closed sign until it becomes clear I'm not making enough for it to be worth my time.  That is in contrast to people who want to throw in the towel just because they think they can predict what will happen in the long run.  Wait and see, then act accordingly.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

Only time will tell.  But I'm not turning off the lights and putting up the closed sign until it becomes clear I'm not making enough for it to be worth my time.  That is in contrast to people who want to throw in the towel just because they think they can predict what will happen in the long run.  Wait and see, then act accordingly.

People tend to get depressed by the past and suffer anxiety for the future. Nothing like today. This months i have already sold my monthly video quota.. most of the sales above +$25 bar a couple of 0.60 ... so yeah ... whatever comes guess we will make our choices but why not keep working with positivity? cheers!

On 4/23/2020 at 5:27 AM, Doug Jensen said:

Care to take back your ignorant, jealous, deranged rant?

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 3.56.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 3.56.26 PM.png

I am not surprised to see Doug's stats. I have seen them before and they are very impressive but you also just need to look at the first couple pages of his port to understand why he gets these sales. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned (enough?) here are the exemptions from this new subscription deal. 

It covers the Standard Footage Licence only and excludes:

"Television Distribution – The standard Shutterstock footage license does not permit for any usage in television shows or commercials. Usage is also prohibited for distribution over any broadcast, cable or satellite.
    Movie Theater Distribution – Distribution in movie theaters is not permitted with the standard footage license.
    Over the Top (OTT) Video Distribution – Over the top video distribution, or streaming services such as Netflix is not permitted by the standard footage license."

So, yes. How we are affected by this is totally dependant on what we shoot. Doug's port includes a lot of great establishing shots that can be used for movies, TVs and documentaries, and that's where we get the high amounts - the 4ks and video ELs. And that's where the big bucks are.

For me, since this started, my commissions have ranged from $3.53 to $105 - and no 60c or $1.50s, which is a big change for me. The clips that I used to get $1.50 for, I am now getting higher - up to $10/sale. 

I can see people marking Doug down here, and we have had a few run-ins earlier (LOL), but I must confess I like having Doug on the forum. I like having people here who I can learn from. 
1 hour ago, Milleflore Images said:

I am not surprised to see Doug's stats. I have seen them before and they are very impressive but you also just need to look at the first couple pages of his port to understand why he gets these sales. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned (enough?) here are the exemptions from this new subscription deal. 

It covers the Standard Footage Licence only and excludes:

"Television Distribution – The standard Shutterstock footage license does not permit for any usage in television shows or commercials. Usage is also prohibited for distribution over any broadcast, cable or satellite.
    Movie Theater Distribution – Distribution in movie theaters is not permitted with the standard footage license.
    Over the Top (OTT) Video Distribution – Over the top video distribution, or streaming services such as Netflix is not permitted by the standard footage license."

So, yes. How we are affected by this is totally dependant on what we shoot. Doug's port includes a lot of great establishing shots that can be used for movies, TVs and documentaries, and that's where we get the high amounts - the 4ks and video ELs. And that's where the big bucks are.

For me, since this started, my commissions have ranged from $3.53 to $105 - and no 60c or $1.50s, which is a big change for me. The clips that I used to get $1.50 for, I am now getting higher - up to $10/sale. 

I can see people marking Doug down here, and we have had a few run-ins earlier (LOL), but I must confess I like having Doug on the forum. I like having people here who I can learn from. 

Does this entail having said video uploaded as editorial to get those sales?

13 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Hi Steven. Nice to meet a fellow Aussie 🙂

Traditionally, editorials don't perform as well for establishing shots. They usually want purely commercial stock.

I am not sure whether you met Mihai, a former member here, but he used to shoot New York skylines and cityscapes and makes a fortune from this type of thing. AND he used to go to a LOT of time and trouble removing signage, etc, from all his clips. (Apologies to Mihai, if he's reading this, for using your name in vain, but you're the best Exhibit A I could think of. lol)

Cheers,

Annie

Thanks Annie.  I have nothing but respect for you and your posts even when we may disagree.  You have the experience and success to back up what you say.

1 minute ago, Doug Jensen said:

Thanks Annie.  I have nothing but respect for you and your posts even when we may disagree.  You have the experience and success to back up what you say.

Not sure whether you agree with my above post. We posted at the same time. Interested to hear what you think. 

7 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

Hi Steven. Nice to meet a fellow Aussie 🙂

Traditionally, editorials don't perform as well for establishing shots. They usually want purely commercial stock.

I am not sure whether you met Mihai, a former member here, but he used to shoot New York skylines and cityscapes and makes a fortune from this type of thing. AND he used to go to a LOT of time and trouble removing signage, etc, from all his clips. (Apologies to Mihai, if he's reading this, for using your name in vain, but you're the best Exhibit A I could think of. lol)

Cheers,

Annie

Thanks Annie, yes remember Mihai very well and was VERY inspired by his port. I hadn't realised he removed signage, so interesting to know.

Many thanks for your reply. :) 

11 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

Do editorials sell as well for establishing shots for movies, TV and documentaries? I say they mostly need commercial stock.

Yes and I guess my question is about licensing for video usage - editorial verse commercial. Does commercial stock footage exclude use in movies, TV and documentaries because that would come under the Standard Footage License?  

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

No, that is a huge ongoing misunderstanding with many contributors. An image does not have to be editorial to be used by a news outlet. "Editorial" when it relates to stock is simply a license. It just means that there are limited uses allowed for the image.

To make it simple:

COMMERCIAL can be used anywhere for any purpose, including to sell something

EDITORIAL can only be used in the direct context of the image. For example, an editorial (no model releases)  shot of people boarding a subway can be used in an article about commuting, or public transit.

AND he used to go to a LOT of time and trouble removing signage, etc, from all his clips.

From CLIPS? You mean, he'd go through video footage frame by frame painting out stuff? Holy cow, he deserves every penny he ever made.

10 minutes ago, Milo J said:

No, that is a huge ongoing misunderstanding with many contributors. An image does not have to be editorial to be used by a news outlet. "Editorial" when it relates to stock is simply a license. It just means that there are limited uses allowed for the image.

To make it simple:

COMMERCIAL can be used anywhere for any purpose, including to sell something

EDITORIAL can only be used in the direct context of the image. For example, an editorial (no model releases)  shot of people boarding a subway can be used in an article about commuting, or public transit.

Thanks, does that also apply to lisenses for footage? So the license for commercial can be used anywhere for any purpose?