Video Subscriptions - a new way to earn even less money?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Anna Shutterstock, @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock, we are production studio that produces high quality advertisement content. We shooting about 600 footages in a month with the professional eq

That means nothing.  I've had many sales for only $2.00 starting last summer.  Did I quit SS? Did I run around saying the sky is falling?  No, I took the $2.00 sales and averaged them with the $400 sa

Just received this SS email which im sure is "yet another amazing earning opportunity". Subscriptions for video.  So they can seel them even cheaper. If they go for 20 clips a month that wor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

In any event, I think anyone still here will look back at the days when this was considered "profitable":

$1.50 Video Sale?!?!?!?!

This is not a subscription sale, I think it is Wix or one of those earlier deals.

Anyone knows how much we get for a video sub? Is it the same % as before?

7 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

What they don't seem to realize is that if they keep pushing and putting us between a rock and a hard place,  they won't be getting new content soon. Because people won't bother in submitting anymore. SS will be a dead image and video bank.

I'm sure there will be many contributors who will close down their video ports and head elsewhere as a response to this subscription plan. Unfortunately, there will likely be lots of people who will take their place, eager to earn a few bucks or a few cents in some cases for heavily discounted clips. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I'm sure there will be many contributors who will close down their video ports and head elsewhere as a response to this subscription plan. Unfortunately, there will likely be lots of people who will take their place, eager to earn a few bucks or a few cents in some cases for heavily discounted clips. 

Can foresee future new contributors celebrating their three "high quality" videos approved by SS reviewers over six months of upload attempts, making a grand total of $5.40 - an outstanding average of 90 cents a month. Winning! 

3 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

This is exactly the calculation Getty made when they did the same for images.   And they were sadly, correct.

Fast forward a few years and its even more accurate, there are plenty of people happy to submit for "recognition" or beer money.

4 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

correct.

I don't think they were. From what I've heard SS has been always the number one stock agency for images. Now, it is not even my third best. The same will happen to videos. And bearing in mind SS is not the best in footages, the fall will be even faster. AS is the best in my opinion. Sadly they don't offer exclusivity.

30 minutes ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

AS is the best in my opinion.

Sadly the do not offer editorials. 

Yes, AS has not lost any in spite of Corona, completely different from the SS. AS will be almost double that of SS this month in photos. 
I suspect that in a very short time, thanks to consistent and fair judging and a much higher RPD , they will have outstripped SS. Also with videos.

22 hours ago, Lukasz Obermann said:

I don't know if this has any sense, but I plan to do following this strategy - upload clips and if I receive for a video less than 10 $ then automatically remove that clip from the portfolio on SS.

That might feel satisfying for that particular moment, but in the long run all it achieves for you is that the clip will now surely never make another cent on SS. Yes, this subscription model sucks, and there will be many low price commissions coming our way. But there will also still be small media buyers like myself who pay full price. This subscription model is of no interest to me. 10 or 20 clips per month, and having to commit to a year - that's way more clips than I ever need in a year, and would end up costing me way more than I spend buying what I need when I need it. And it's not like I could subscribe for a year and buy a bunch of stuff to "put on the shelf" for later. That's not how this works. I can't predict what footage I will need sometime down the road for my next project. Now, I don't know how many small-fish buyers like me are out there, but I know for a fact that they exist, and they will continue to purchase at regular cart and clip pack prices.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:58 PM, Doug Jensen said:

1 sale for $10,000 vs 10,001 sales for $1 is more money.

This logic did not work/happen when photo commissions dropped.

The more realistic prediction is to expect the same outcome for video earnings as it happened for photos.

What you can still control right now is where to submit videos. Or just go with it and "milk the most you can" until it doesn't make sense anymore.

So finally it happened .. I had my first video sale of what looks like a video subscription (considering it is between the expected range of $3-$5) ... For what is worth it is a clip that has been 2 years uploades and never sold before .. a hopefull sign? Who knows.. but in any case, if the volume is high enough perhaps it wont be a total loss ? This week will be interesting to see if i get more video sales than usual and how they add up to my usual averages.. Will keep you posted.

Sin-título-3.jpg

2 hours ago, GregDPhotos said:

I agree, but don't get it. What does "recognition" - as in, one or two downloads for a newbie - accomplish? Ego-building?

Generally yes.  Or people are actually happy with "free beer money".

Remember a lot of people submit infrequently, forget SS exists and smile when paypal gets $75 every 18 months that they weren't expecting.

3 hours ago, GregDPhotos said:

I agree, but don't get it. What does "recognition" - as in, one or two downloads for a newbie - accomplish? Ego-building?

For clarification: I write about amateurs who do not depend on the money from the sale of photos or videos:

Before digitalisation, photos were something special. For the "normal person" mostly only posed photos of holiday destinations. 
Those who took photos for the wall or just to look at back then, in the 1970s/80s, usually found an interested and admiring audience of friends and acquaintances, This gained the motivation for further photos. This fun was also connected with a lot of costs, so only few people did it.
With the digitalization and at the latest with smartphones with an acceptable camera this has changed. Anyone can take thousands of "artistic" photos without spending a penny. However, with today's flood of photos he will only find a tired yawn among his friends and acquaintances. So he has to find another audience. 
And he finds that on the net. In digital photo clubs, in social media, in any group. There he receives recognition and that is enough for him for now. Of course, it is even better if he earns a few cents instead of "likes". And that is why he places his photos with MS agencies. 
The exact amount of cents is of secondary importance here. If SS would reduce our suns to 10 cents, there would still be enough (and especially always new ones) who would rather take the 10 cents than 0 cents and a "like". 
I hardly know the video market. But I know from my own experience that watching some short videos is even more boring and tiring than watching bad photos. For videos the net is therefore even more important as a stage than for photos. That's why I fear that in the long run, even with videos, at least the simple ones, amateurs will be in the majority. And there will always be new ones, so that the market for cheap productions will develop similarly to that for photos. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I just added up the the last 20 sales that are shown on my log-in page and my average commission was $52.25, so I'd say things are not as bad as people want to make them sound.  It is the overall average that matters most, not the big scores and not the pathetic little sales. As long as the average number continues to be above a certain threshold that I have set for myself, I will continue contributing.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:22 AM, Steven Tritton said:

Can foresee future new contributors celebrating their three "high quality" videos approved by SS reviewers over six months of upload attempts, making a grand total of $5.40 - an outstanding average of 90 cents a month. Winning! 

I snorted and then choked on my Dr. Pepper while reading this....