Richard Whitcombe

Video Subscriptions - a new way to earn even less money?

Just received this SS email which im sure is "yet another amazing earning opportunity".

Subscriptions for video.  So they can seel them even cheaper.

If they go for 20 clips a month that works out about $10 a clip.

This INCLUDES 4k clips.

Assuming we get the usual third i guess we'll get a "massive" $3.33 for a 4k clip sale.  And obviously lose out massively on existing clip pack and normal footage sales as buyers switch over to that.

So the race to the bottom continues at speed.  SS do seem to want to do a "getty" and completely and utterly demolish the market for online video sales.

Also likely to affect sales elsewhere as they'll be practically free on here.  So if this starts taking off maybe it is financially beneficial to take video downloads off the SS portfolio to avoid losing out massively on other sites

From a buyers point of view, a 4k clip is reduced from $100 to $10 so of course most will switch.  

So i guess people are about to lose 80%+ of their income from video sales.

Will also have knock on effect at Pond 5 where they reserve the right to reduce your file prices if you are selling the same clips cheaper elsewhere, so SS will now effect the whole market by taking this action.

6 minutes ago, Matt Gibson said:

Will also have knock on effect at Pond 5 where they reserve the right to reduce your file prices if you are selling the same clips cheaper elsewhere, so SS will now effect the whole market by taking this action.

Thats the problem, P5 are trialling a subscription but its opt-out as an option.

If this catches on it may finally be beneficial to remove video from SS to you arent dramatically undercutting yourself elsewhere.

@Anna Shutterstock, @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock, we are production studio that produces high quality advertisement content. We shooting about 600 footages in a month with the professional equipment, actors, and locations. Such a catastrophic decrease in payment for a 4K file, will not allow us to produce really high-quality content, since serious investments are necessary for its production. We are convinced that there are many buyers who are willing to pay for high-quality advertising content, I we are sure that between a cheap subscription and high-quality content they choose high quality content. 

So I suggest considering the following options that allow to save quality content market:

1. Make it possible for the author to refuse to sell the video by subscription. 

2. Exclude 4K video from the subscription. 

3. Share the part of subscription payments from users to authors

Please give us your feedback, until Shutterstock destroy the QUALITY content market. 

3 minutes ago, Stockbusters said:

@Anna Shutterstock, @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock, we are production studio that produces high quality advertisement content. We shooting about 600 footages in a month with the professional equipment, actors, and locations. Such a catastrophic decrease in payment for a 4K file, will not allow us to produce really high-quality content, since serious investments are necessary for its production. We are convinced that there are many buyers who are willing to pay for high-quality advertising content, I we are sure that between a cheap subscription and high-quality content they choose high quality content. 

So I suggest considering the following options that allow to save quality content market:

1. Make it possible for the author to refuse to sell the video by subscription. 

2. Exclude 4K video from the subscription. 

3. Share the part of subscription payments from users to authors

Please give us your feedback, until Shutterstock destroy the QUALITY content market. 

Because SS already sells Video subscriptions, I think it is doesn 't matter what we write here, they will not change the terms of subscription.

Also why no info about paids for Video subcription here?: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/000006640

2 minutes ago, HandMadeFont.com said:

Because SS already sells Video subscriptions, I think it is doesn 't matter what we write here, they will not change the terms of subscription.

Also why no info about paids for Video subcription here?: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/000006640

They sells video pack, this is not video subscriptions

Honestly, im very gratefull with SS .. i have made decent money .. but this confuses me .. theres no way new quality content will be produced under this scenario .. i mean, the only reason i can make it profitable now is that i developed a ver tight workflow and investing money ... Including 4k clips its a deal killer for me and many other small creators ... i dont even want to know the impact on the bigger production houses ... Is this a sign that they want to cash the most before dying? This will definetly disrupt all other marketplaces .. Never thought the run to the bottom would have been this fast for video! So much uncertainty .. 

Very disheartening to see this development. It was only time before the growth in subscription schemes at other sites put pressure on SS to follow this low price route.

The fact that some contributors have put their SS collections onto low priced subsciption sites must have added to the price pressure on Shutterstock.

3 minutes ago, Elmtree said:

Very disheartening to see this development. It was only time before the growth in subscription schemes at other sites put pressure on SS to follow this low price route.

The fact that some contributors have put their SS collections onto low priced subsciption sites must have added to the price pressure on Shutterstock.

Why wouldnt they ask for exclusivity? They were overselling everyone .. they couldve defended a qualitative inventory .. but no this? I have no idea how content , good one can be created now honestly ... :(

Stop wasting your time with photos, they said. Make videos, that's where the money lies, they said.
Looks like videos will go down the photo route much faster than some people thought.

I have the proper equipment to make 4K videos and always planned to put some effort into actually trying to create some footage, but have always been putting it off, because of how much work it is (and how slow my computer is with it). Now it doesn't really feel like such a good idea to invest effort into footage anymore. It's like with vectors for me. They take so much more time to create than photos, but never really earned me more money. If the effort/time-earning ratio is off, it's just not worth to create footage anymore and around $3 for a video does not seem worth the time it takes to create, edit and upload footage to me. And we all know that the majority of photo sales people get are from subscriptions, so I doubt it will be any different with videos. Everyone who needs videos on a regular base will get a subscription and bigger sales will become as rare as SODs and ODs are for photos.

20 minutes ago, Firn said:

If the effort/time-earning ratio is off, it's just not worth to create footage anymore and around $3 for a video does not seem worth the time it takes to create, edit and upload footage to me. 

Ultimately the best option would likely be stop selling video on SS and only put it on sites that pay a sensible amount (AS, P5 and so on).  Unfortunately as SS has doing with Getty/IS did for videos - massively undercutting the entire market, its likely buyers will switch to SS because its so cheap so it'll hurt sales elsewhere to an extent.

If you do the maths, even someone who buys a few videos a year will usually be better off paying this new subscription price as its so much cheaper than the other options.  That means, ultimately, most people who buy regularly will switch so we wont be getting those clip pack/cart sale prices at all.

Video makes up 10% of my portfolio but about 45% of income.  With this change thats obviously going to plummet (along with losing a huge percentage of actual income).

The uploaded file is 4k, maybe it  was downloaded in HD format, who knows?

All clips are downscaled to all resolutions below them so that 4k clip could be SD or even web streaming.  You have no way of knowing.

1 hour ago, Firn said:

Stop wasting your time with photos, they said. Make videos, that's where the money lies, they said.
Looks like videos will go down the photo route much faster than some people thought.

I have the proper equipment to make 4K videos and always planned to put some effort into actually trying to create some footage, but have always been putting it off, because of how much work it is (and how slow my computer is with it). Now it doesn't really feel like such a good idea to invest effort into footage anymore. It's like with vectors for me. They take so much more time to create than photos, but never really earned me more money. If the effort/time-earning ratio is off, it's just not worth to create footage anymore and around $3 for a video does not seem worth the time it takes to create, edit and upload footage to me. And we all know that the majority of photo sales people get are from subscriptions, so I doubt it will be any different with videos. Everyone who needs videos on a regular base will get a subscription and bigger sales will become as rare as SODs and ODs are for photos.

Also, getting commercial videos approved is much harder than commercial photos. In my last review 1 out of 20 pics was refused. 23 out of 30 videos were refused. And review time is longer too, it took 8 days for  videos and 2 days for  pics.  

3 hours ago, Stockbusters said:

They sells video pack, this is not video subscriptions

They may call them Subscriptions but they are really monthly packs. I'd agree with you the 10 and 20 pack with a year contract, isn't the same as annual subscriptions. The subscription means people have to sign up for a year, the pack is the number of images allowed a month.

What the heck, it's an annual Subscription to limited Image Packs? 🙂

Call it what anyone wants, just waiting to see what you video folks are going to get paid.

4 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

So i guess people are about to lose 80%+ of their income from video sales.

I hope not for you, I can see how much time and effort you have put into unusual and quality video.

I mean that for everyone who's been working and invested in 4k.

Another slap in the face for video contributors. As noted above, P5 and AS are more viable options now compared to SS.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

They may call them Subscriptions but they are really monthly packs. I'd agree with you the 10 and 20 pack with a year contract, isn't the same as annual subscriptions. The subscription means people have to sign up for a year, the pack is the number of images allowed a month.

What the heck, it's an annual Subscription to limited Image Packs? 🙂

Either you are wrong or I don't understand it correctly:

footage3.jpg.d69637c085ad75fe365288f2fb9d3af7.jpg

1137147665_footage2.jpg.9e51c0d256a5cd75c8d383ce681d3758.jpg

footage.jpg.7ccf75558088cf01eb7b9e8aa4aa47f8.jpg

https://www.shutterstock.com/pricing/video

3 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Theres a good argument here for not submitting 4K to SS any more and only sending it to other agencies.

True. It doesn't matter any more what resolution is sold, they can have what they want with subscription.

Maybe some of you have to say a few words at the official thread too, not that anyone (up there) cares: https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/99836-shutterstock-launches-a-new-footage-subscription-product/

2 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

Also, getting commercial videos approved is much harder than commercial photos. In my last review 1 out of 20 pics was refused. 23 out of 30 videos were refused. And review time is longer too, it took 8 days for  videos and 2 days for  pics.  

About the same for me.

But only for a few months.
Before that, they waved through almost everything, including works that I would not submit today.
For some time now, almost everything has been rejected, also technically in my opinion "good" videos. 
Maybe they want to prove to us how bad we are?
So that we are also satisfied with 3$ for our bad videos?

Now 4K video is going to be subscription as well? Absolutely insane. Clearly they don't give a hoot about their video producers, as long as they can line the pockets of their stakeholders with quick cash.