Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Left image in attatchment is being rejected twice due to "similar content". Right image is the one most similar in my portfolio.
They are taken at totally different times of day (hence different light, sky, etc.), and the composition also differs significantly.
Is the rejection fair and acceptable?
If there is no reason for me to try for the third time, is there a way to ask for the removal of the old image to make the new one acceptable? I don't want to just remove it myself until I know that it will make way for the new one. 
Thanks! 

 

Similar.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they’ve gone too far about the “similar” content rejections. Its understandable that they want to make the content more unique, but this is too much. Its making it really hard to build up a portfolio and compete with all the daily submissions. 
I remember that Shutterstock even promoted that several angles were taken to cover a theme and give the buyer the option to choose the image that suits their project best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rolf E. Staerk said:

Left image in attatchment is being rejected twice due to "similar content". Right image is the one most similar in my portfolio.
They are taken at totally different times of day (hence different light, sky, etc.), and the composition also differs significantly.
Is the rejection fair and acceptable?
If there is no reason for me to try for the third time, is there a way to ask for the removal of the old image to make the new one acceptable? I don't want to just remove it myself until I know that it will make way for the new one. 
Thanks! 

 

Similar.JPG

This is patently absurd. I wish Shutterstock would address this latest round of random rejections in some meaningful way. There has to be some miscommunication between what Shutterstock really wants and the job reviewers are doing. We have nothing to go on here. It makes it impossible to do our jobs with this level of nonsense. I can understand SS not wanting to have the same composition, but this is ridiculous. These are both quality photos and there are a myriad of reasons you might want one over the other. this is seriously demotivating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's frustrating, especially since I don't see any demonstrable effort to remove the thousands of previously-approved similars. My suggestion is to tile them. Allow the contributor to pick which one gets featured on the top of the pile, allow the customer the option of clicking to expand and see alternative angles. The problem of one contributor hogging entire pages of search results fixed.

I'm on 3rd submission of this one. "Similar" sign because it's the opposite side. One side thanks essential workers, other side thanks healthcare providers. Customers might want one vs the other.

Meanwhile if you search "thank you hospital coronavirus" you get over a dozen shots of the same ponytailed woman drawing up meds.

Screenshot_20200414-072002_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alan LeStourgeon said:

 There has to be some miscommunication between what Shutterstock really wants and the job reviewers are doing.

I also feel that way.
When they announced the new similar rule and put up that article that explained what would be considered similar content, I thought the definition of what is considered to be similar was pretty clear. But reviewers do not seem to go by these official rules?
These two photos don't fall into any of these categores: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000012339
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otherwise about the similarity. If I check one of my photo in the portfolio I see there aren`t similar images with that. There can be seen the similar photos but those aren't similar with mine. My english isn`t the best but I don`t think I missed the keywords that much.

What is the SS standpoint, please? Thank you.  @Anna Shutterstock @Alex Shutterstock @Kate Shutterstock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for responding!
Encourraged by your feedback I contacted SS. It seems the main problem is that my image is similar to other people's images, even those taken under different circumstances. This means I will not know if I spend hours of editing for nothing. I was thinking that the most wanted images would stand out in the search results because people acually buy them, so that those deserving attention would get it automatically, and the other images would end up at the end of the search results not bothering anyone. Anyway, I will try my luck for the third - and last - time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

Rolf, did you actually get an answer from SS?

When using the regular contact line, I was transferred to a chat. I had a conversation with a person who was not an employee, but seemed to be listed by SS as an expert authorized to give answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rolf E. Staerk said:

Thanks for responding!
Encourraged by your feedback I contacted SS. It seems the main problem is that my image is similar to other people's images, even those taken under different circumstances. This means I will not know if I spend hours of editing for nothing. I was thinking that the most wanted images would stand out in the search results because people acually buy them, so that those deserving attention would get it automatically, and the other images would end up at the end of the search results not bothering anyone. Anyway, I will try my luck for the third - and last - time.

Please do not accept this answer and have the case escalate so someone from Shutterstock support has to look at it. (I assume you got a reply frorm one of the "Shutterstock experts", which are just normal users like us).
Even though Shutterstock was never completely clear on whether the similar content rule is only applied within our own port or the whole database, they are still accepting almost identical images from different contributors.
This is, for example, a newly accepted image in the database:
phone-iconflat-design-style-vector-600w-
And here are the ones that were already existing in Shutterstock's database:
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/similar/1704413479

Looking at this (and this is only one example, I could find you thousands of these!), there is no way that they are applying the "no similar" rule on the whole database and not just individual ports.

Also, ask them, which image in the database is apparently too similar to yours. I did a quick search and this was the closest I could find:
panorama-historical-part-cesky-krumlov-6
I admit that I did not look through all 140+ page results with the keywords, but even underneath Shutterstock does not offer me any more similar images that look closer to yours. And even comparing this one with yours, they are STILL not similar at all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Firn Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me! I'm not sure how I may push this all the way to support...?
I've attached one of the answers I got. As I stated above, I thought their system would fix this automatically, as searching will list the most popular images first. So, useless images will move backwards and end up where they will not be seen, and useful images will deserve their position. Maybe there's just something I don't understand.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rolf E. Staerk said:

@Firn Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me! I'm not sure how I may push this all the way to support...?
I've attached one of the answers I got. As I stated above, I thought their system would fix this automatically, as searching will list the most popular images first. So, useless images will move backwards and end up where they will not be seen, and useful images will deserve their position. Maybe there's just something I don't understand.

image.png

This is a copy & paste answer you have gotten. It doesn't seem like anyone even looked at your pictures.

I am not sure how exactly this looks as it has been a while since I contacted support, but there should be a button somwhere that states you want to escalate the case and have someone from the real support look at it. There is no guarantee you will get any proper help there (I simply kept getting ignored in the past, so I never had luck with this), but the first step after contacing support is that only a normal contributor like us will answer your question, so that person who replied to you does not know any more than we do.

Maybe someone else here in the forum has contacted support lately and can instruct you better on how to escalate the case. I am sorry I could not be of more assistance.
It's frustrating that it is so incredibly difficult to contact REAL Shutterstuck staff. They need to be made aware that their reviewers have gone completely insane with applying the similar rule and do not keep to the official guidelines by Shutterstock, but since no one of us can get through to them, I am not really sure they are aware of this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Firn Thanks again! I cant' find a way to proceed from the conversation I had in the chat. I will try a last resumission in some days. If it is still rejected, I will look into this thread and see if there is response that can take me further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sold two images to the same customer of the same courthouse. Portrait and landscape. Today only one would be approved. Yes, they could have cropped the vertical image so maybe not the best example - but anyway ...

 

 

Skærmbillede 2020-04-16 kl. 13.04.02.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so let the buyer decide they have a project in mind with a need for images...IMHO  also I am not advocating endless micro changes but these are two good landscapes and am sure the need for travel brochure/web images will be needed in the future...very frustrating...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Just sold two images to the same customer of the same courthouse. Portrait and landscape. Today only one would be approved. Yes, they could have cropped the vertical image so maybe not the best example - but anyway ...

 

 

Skærmbillede 2020-04-16 kl. 13.04.02.png

Sold three photos of the same hospital to the same buyer at the beginning of this month. Of course there are customers searching for different views of the very same subject, may it be a landscape, a building, a car or a dog. What they don't want is 100 photos of a generic and not further described tree in a forest from a 5cm-angle difference. (And yes, these ports exist!) But Shutterstock reviewers struggle to find any balance.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Firn said:

Sold three photos of the same hospital to the same buyer at the beginning of this month. Of course there are customers searching for different views of the very same subject, may it be a landscape, a building, a car or a dog. What they don't want is 100 photos of a generic tree in a forest from a 5cm-angle difference. (And yes, these ports exist!) But Shutterstock reviewers struggle to find any balance.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Agree totally. Two or three different shots should be ok ...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently sold 5 photos (to the same buyer, one right after the other) of one and the same hotel.

Of course from different angles and distances. But the same identical hotel.

According to the new rule interpretation 4 would not be accepted as "similars". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 4:33 AM, Rolf E. Staerk said:

When using the regular contact line, I was transferred to a chat. I had a conversation with a person who was not an employee, but seemed to be listed by SS as an expert authorized to give answers.

authorised to give their non-binding best guess opinion..  so same as the forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 4:56 AM, Firn said:

Please do not accept this answer and have the case escalate so someone from Shutterstock support has to look at it. (I assume you got a reply frorm one of the "Shutterstock experts", which are just normal users like us).

 

 

 

i find this highly insulting .  when i provided answers on the forum i tried to help, not random total  empty guesses that did not even relate to the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 6:17 AM, Rolf E. Staerk said:

@Firn Thanks again! I cant' find a way to proceed from the conversation I had in the chat. I will try a last resumission in some days. If it is still rejected, I will look into this thread and see if there is response that can take me further.

 

don't accept the answer of the 100% rated scam artist, also don't believe the 100% rating, i once got the same person that i gave negative for not reading the answer, and rating was still 100%, and ask them to refer up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 2:33 AM, Viktor Kochetkov said:

I have exactly the same problem with "similar content" rejections. More than 150 photos rejection last 2 weeks. Though I do less photos with different angles like this. I submitted all rejections 2 times and it doesn't worked. 

IMG_1901.jpg.3a50fc65bc2a96820f6cd10dff3ff673.jpgIMG_1885.jpg.a89cdab8b9742bcede54f9f6d1684e21.jpg

Am I understanding you correctly that these 2 images were rejected as similar content?

If that's the case, then this whole gig is basically over. Good heavens, this is just absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I managed to get in touch with Shutterstock support (not the former "expert" solution). I was informed that the left image in my attachment was rejected due to similarity with the right image. I found this so surpising that I asked them to confirm this before getting back to the forum, upon which the conversation has stopped. I guess they have other issues to tend to having changed the payment structure...1621483957_image(1).thumb.png.416b096885162565e4be03239af5a1ad.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...