Ivan Dunsmore

CSV file rejected

Hello people,

I have just uploaded many videos and am just in the process of submitting the keywords in a CSV file. However the website keeps rejecting the CSV file with the message "We can't read what's in your file. Please re-save or re-export your file, and try uploading it again" What I have tested so far, but with no results is:

- removing the spaces between commas and the next keyword

- I had misspelled a category and I corrected the spelling to the officially accepted one

I have attached a screenshot of my excel file before I save it as a CSV file. I can't see what is wrong with it. Can anyone help?

Capture d’écran (96).png

This is exactly my problem - hugely frustrating. Did it get solved? It doesn't seem anyone replied to you from Shutterstock.

I ended up just doing a manual copy-paste of all the information in my excel sheet. I contacted Shutterstock by email and they told me to to remove the files completely along with clearing the clearing cache and cookies and then try to upload again. Didn't work for me, and afterwards they just stopped answering me, so customer service is pretty useless.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, Ivan Dunsmore said:

I ended up just doing a manual copy-paste of all the information in my excel sheet. I contacted Shutterstock by email and they told me to to remove the files completely along with clearing the clearing cache and cookies and then try to upload again. Didn't work for me, and afterwards they just stopped answering me, so customer service is pretty useless.

Hi Ivan

Could you try to generate the same CSV in Xpiks? https://xpiksapp.com/tutorials/howto-export-csv/

Most probably the issue is in tricky file format: maybe some of your keywords are not correctly saved in CSV so the final file format is corrupted. Can you send the CSV that you used for upload?

Ivan,

I looked into your file. If you open it in Notepad++ (for example), you'll see the following:

- file uses semicolon (';') as separators instead of comma (','). CSV is Comma-Separated Values (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values)

- elements with spaces and commas should be in quotes

e.g.

1.mp4;A static shot of a few trees with green leaves on a hillside in Gorkha, Nepal, during the summer, at sunset with the ridge of a large hill in the background.;Tree, nepal, green, sunset, golden, hour, light, wood, single, mountain, hill, hillside, trekking, Gorkha, Asia, adventure, nature, outdoor, warm, summer, sun, wind, tropical, heat, alone, rocking, province, region, static, tripod, shot, clip, ridge, leaves, yellow, orange, brown, earth, breeze, view, haze, foreground, background;Holidays;No;No

should become this

1.mp4,"A static shot of a few trees with green leaves on a hillside in Gorkha, Nepal, during the summer, at sunset with the ridge of a large hill in the background.","Tree, nepal, green, sunset, golden, hour, light, wood, single, mountain, hill, hillside, trekking, Gorkha, Asia, adventure, nature, outdoor, warm, summer, sun, wind, tropical, heat, alone, rocking, province, region, static, tripod, shot, clip, ridge, leaves, yellow, orange, brown, earth, breeze, view, haze, foreground, background",Holidays,No,No

P.S. Microsoft software rarely respects the open formats since they use their own formats. So they might screw your CSV if you will not select correct values for delimiters and space/comma strings somewhere in the settings

Sorry for taking time to answer. For some reason response box was greyed out for a while...

In any case, thanks for taking a look at the file. Now I will know what to do next time and that's really a great help! (My alternative is to copy-paste everything manually to each stock video website).