BublikHaus

Huge issues with Noise Rejections

Unless you have the only images on all of SS of that subject and location they had a choice.

(and even if you did, they may have settled for near enough).

The chances of someone having the only relevant images to a search term on here are vanishingly small.

Just now, Richard Whitcombe said:

The chances of someone having the only relevant images to a search term on here are vanishingly small.

Might be true for all the popular subjects but there are quite a few locations and search terms for which I have the only images on all of SS. And they make a good percentage of my sales as well.

Anyway that wasn't my point. My point is even if my image wasn't available and someone else's image was, the customer isn't looking for squeaky clean images. They're only looking for images that are relevant to the project they're working on.

I don't know why people are always complaining. SS is a really fair partner who can also be very accommodating. That's exactly what I just had the chance to experience for myself. 
From a small batch of 5 catastrophically bad videos, SS, probably out of pure mercy and friendliness, actually accepted one. So, for the friends of big numbers, a full 20%. 
And this even though all 5 videos were similar crap. all shot with the same equipment in one afternoon. ...with nice weather and good light. With the M2P and the correct ND filter. ...and therefore completely noisy.
This other shop, which also sells amateur software for image editing, of course didn't look properly again and added all the junk to its collection. 
Not so SS, the guardian of quality. Like my math teacher used to be. Strict, but fair.  That was a lesson for life. Like what percentage one in five is. 
The fact that the SS actually accepted one can only be attributed to pure kindness. A weakness I never expected. I don't think that's right. That's why I will probably delete the accepted film myself, so as not to lower the quality of the collection. 
I am proud to be a member of this exciting community.
Thanks SS.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I think  that AI either has nothing to do with the rejections- it is the work of individual assessors( why? my photos from antigua were easily approved 2 years ago and now same camera, same noise/artefacts  were not) or they have INCREASED the threshold for noise., that means that any photos taken before 2016 are simply rejected. there can be a date in the photos( in exif0 that the AI is looking for and rejecting it.

and since we RARELY know or get response from actual assessors..these questions will remain unanswered.

Hi had another batch of clips approved yesterday. A couple were rejected for being similars but none were rejected for noise.  Almost all of the batch was accepted.

I hear your frustration.  I guess it is hard to make much money or get images approved when you have 2.5x more forum posts than snapshots in your portfolio. Work on it.  I wish you luck.  Great song, though, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Mehdi Kasumov said:

that means that any photos taken before 2016 are simply rejected.

No way. 

2016 I did not have any of the cameras, I am using today. And every foto and clip is "fresh", nothing from 2016 or older. 

8 hours ago, geogif said:

No way. 

2016 I did not have any of the cameras, I am using today. And every foto and clip is "fresh", nothing from 2016 or older. 

mine are, also shutterstock meticulously refusing images that are "similar to the one submitted" even though the ornaments on the walls are different, the  buildings are 400 years apart... simply because the reviewer HAVE NOT educate himself on the history of the facility... so typical of narrow minded people employed doing the job they hate :)

Officially my iPhone SE is not acceptable for SS anymore. 😮 Last uploads and I did edit, not just slapped them up for review...

Noise / Film Grain : Content contains chrominance noise, luminance noise, sharpening noise, or film grain that detracts from the main subject.

I'll admit the images were not outside in bright Sunlight, but up until this year I have had shots inside stores, for various subjects accepted. I think I'll just stop trying.

I join the club of rejections, rejections due to noise or focus, with nikon 7100 and a tokina 11-16, this is not understood by anyone, this has never happened to me, I will upload an image to try my luck, but this is crazy right now. In short, all that remains is to wait for them to return to the path of logic.

All this pain and suffering for 25 cents per photograph?

I like--liked?--working here. 

And like Juan, I hope for a return to logic. 

I hope everyone is healthy and doing well otherwise. This is the last thing we need while the world falls ill and so many die.

Take care, everyone. 

Diane

On 3/31/2020 at 9:07 PM, Danny Ye said:

Most of photo I submitted in last week were rejected because of noise issue, which never happened so often before, I will try to resubmit maybe few weeks later to try the luck, this sometime is quite annoying. 

I just uploaded these photo without any change yesterday. Today most of them are approved except for one. I think the reviewers are back to normal working mode now. 

So maybe you want to try your luck as well😄.

I've had Galaxy 7 photos accepted and some rejected due to noise. I've had Panasonic G7 photo rejected due to noise, despite the very next picture in the sequence shot minutes apart, being totally fine. These photos were outdoor, in the mountains. 200ish iso, 22 aperture type stuff.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:47 PM, geogif said:

Yes, and by 70% rejections you are lucky. My go more to over  90%.

I did not try, as I do not know anybody who was able to talk to a human being at SS. 

I sometimes doubt, if SS even exists in the real world.

there are human beings at least management are but they have very poor people skills - probably normal in the tec world.  

On 3/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, balajisrinivasan said:

I think currently SS's quality controls are so high that I'm not a good enough photographer to have images that qualify for its database. Images, that to my eye, are perfectly sharp and have been noise corrected at 3:1 magnification, are being rejected for "focus" and "noise". Maybe they're understaffed because of the virus or maybe they're seriously approving only extremely high quality images, it's difficult to know without any communication from SS itself.

So yeah, I'm going to stop submitting images for a few months here. It's just not worth it. 

The same here.... Thse years I've reached to 80% acceptance here, but now I am back to disaster, with 100% rejections these past months. 

When everything is pristine even at 200%, they find something, when it's seems impossible to find then it's the model release, or intellectual property ( for everything ) Doesn't matter anymore... 

Couple this with the new low prices, what can I say? Too bad I am ill and staying at home, if not I would have left long time ago... I am beyond sad... :-(

Same here...
I used to have an acceptance rate of at least 95% with over 6000 photos in my port.
I thought I know how it worked... I rarely got rejections on my uploads...
But now the review process has become a kind of lottery. I never had rejections of whole batches before - but now it happens again and again. I look very carefully at my pictures and only upload them if they are really good. The main subject is sharp, there's no sgnificant noise etc.. And my gear is of high quality.
But despite of this I often get rejections for "noise" and/or "focus" which was not the case a few months ago. I really can't see any problems in the photos - and I don't know how to reduce a "noise" that does not exist or sharpen a subject that already is clear sharp.
And I think, a lot of my previously accepted photos that now sell regularily (!) would have been rejected nowadays...

I really don't know what they want. And I am very frustrated.

This is very demotivating.

I don't talk about accepting each and every trash - but it should be possible to add high quality pictures without any issues.

At least 99,9% of the recently rejected photos were btw. accepted at DT and AS without any problems... So, I think they can't be too bad.

I really ask myself who in the world is doing the review here at Shutterstock... It's horrible...

9 hours ago, Heide Pinkall said:

Same here...
I used to have an acceptance rate of at least 95% with over 6000 photos in my port.
I thought I know how it worked... I rarely got rejections on my uploads...
But now the review process has become a kind of lottery. I never had rejections of whole batches before - but now it happens again and again. I look very carefully at my pictures and only upload them if they are really good. The main subject is sharp, there's no sgnificant noise etc.. And my gear is of high quality.
But despite of this I often get rejections for "noise" and/or "focus" which was not the case a few months ago. I really can't see any problems in the photos - and I don't know how to reduce a "noise" that does not exist or sharpen a subject that already is clear sharp.
And I think, a lot of my previously accepted photos that now sell regularily (!) would have been rejected nowadays...

I really don't know what they want. And I am very frustrated.

This is very demotivating.

I don't talk about accepting each and every trash - but it should be possible to add high quality pictures without any issues.

At least 99,9% of the recently rejected photos were btw. accepted at DT and AS without any problems... So, I think they can't be too bad.

I really ask myself who in the world is doing the review here at Shutterstock... It's horrible...

simple, I had ZERO rejections since the new commission was introduced.

22 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

simple, I had ZERO rejections since the new commission was introduced.

I had a few from Adobe (were approved by Shutter before the 0.10 problems). Alamy has approved everything so far.  🙂