BublikHaus

Huge issues with Noise Rejections

1 minute ago, geogif said:

how many is "small" for your experience?

Hard to tell given the frequency but ive found so far 5 or less is 100% acceptance.  12 or more gets most rejected for noise and artefacts.

If you resubmit the same rejects in smaller batches after that, all get accepted.

(Based admittedly on only about 8 or 9 submission batches recently).

Hm....regarding pans and floors, absolutely. Sorry to miss people's responses to my comment--I am not being rude--the email informing me landed in my spam file!  Now I know to look there. 

Above all, childishly, I hope this reviewing situation improves. I got into microstock after falling seriously ill, which forced me to retire from my "real" job at age 46. I'd always been an avid amateur photographer, but my health problems allowed me to cultivate the hobby, even as other aspects of my life went to hell. Microstock has been a very bright spot during an otherwise challenging few years. 

SS is not responsible for my personal well-being--I am. I'm just sorry to see this become a hassle. And I do realize the world does not revolve around me and my troubles. Like, pandemic. 

Hope everyone is healthy. 

I think currently SS's quality controls are so high that I'm not a good enough photographer to have images that qualify for its database. Images, that to my eye, are perfectly sharp and have been noise corrected at 3:1 magnification, are being rejected for "focus" and "noise". Maybe they're understaffed because of the virus or maybe they're seriously approving only extremely high quality images, it's difficult to know without any communication from SS itself.

So yeah, I'm going to stop submitting images for a few months here. It's just not worth it. 

I've never - until now - questioned the verdict of the reviewers, but now it's being rediculous regarding noise, artifacting and blurs. Seems like they are accepting or rejecting totally random. Must be some kind of AI - no matter what Alex says.

This shot is pulled off my computer desktop, so the resolution isn't that great. I'm at a total loss. I didn't share the other rejections, but yes, another used a backdrop with a light pattern, and naturally it bounced right back: out of focus. It was pink, and precisely, beautifully matched the subject, a gorgeous pink Daikon radish. Many of my photographs are of Asian food, and sell well. 

Or did. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:14 AM, Milo J said:

As someone else pointed out, movement has nothing to do with noise. From this freeze frame the clip does look dark, so it's possible there is noise in the shadows. What was your ISO?

Also the white balance seems a tad on the green side.

If I recall well it's shot on 800. Which honestly isn't that high for BMPCC. The color grading is the look we are going for, call it art if you want :)

On 3/21/2020 at 2:30 PM, Richard Whitcombe said:

How many videos did you upload at once?

Learned that trick too, so it was 9 videos in total, 3 from the same shoot. 

My point with all this is that I would understand if the shot was horrible, under or over exposed or grainy and noisy as hell, but it is not.

I heard rumors from other contributors that high rejection percentage influences the "algorithm" and decreases your visibility, but don't know how much of that i true..

It's ridiculous.  Batches of photos that would be approved are now all rejected for noise or focus.  I am beginning to hate this site whereas before it was my favourite stock photo site.

3 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Im trying to find the magic number.  11 in this batch.  I suspect thats high enough for large scale rejections.

I'll reupload 6 from them after that.

I guess I'm pushing the outside of the envelope. I have 15 images in queue for review right now and 12 video clips. I suppose I should say my prayers now....

Just joined the club guys! Just got 4 of 4 videos shot with SONY A7Sii (the best noise performance camera) rejected for noise. And guess what - there is no noise. 😆

It is insane! Definitely some kind of AI/Automated system.

Yep all three of my uploads knocked back for imaginary noise, I'm even zooming into the footage at 800% to check for noise before uploading now, I have gone from 200% 400% and now I'm at 800% before rendering out footage. All footage accepted at AS which will still only accept the very best quality, something is crazy wrong here now, I used to get the odd clip that was knocked back for noise, but now. If I can't get footage through using the 6K BMD pocket camera I really can't be bothered with ShutterStock anymore. I'll wait until the Covid-19 virus is over and see where ShutterStock is at before uploading here again. If it isn't AI then it is some kind of Frankenstein experiment with the reviewers. As mentioned before, if they don't want certain kind of stock they should say so, if it's thousands of water surface and sand images they prefer in their collection then let SS get on with it.  

If reviewers are reading the forums, if contributors stop uploading because of this madness and the effects of the Virus, you won't have anything to review, meaning you will have to find something else to do like the rest of us.

And to ShutterStock, if you don't want certain content then say so, in these times where internet bandwidth is becoming bottle necked (See Netflix) stop the uploading of spam content and be honest of the content you don't want so we are not uploading the same content over and over that gets rejected (more bandwidth waste) to see if we are third or fourth time lucky!

"And to ShutterStock, if you don't want certain content then say so, in these times where internet bandwidth is becoming bottle necked (See Netflix) stop the uploading of spam content and be honest of the content you don't want so we are not uploading the same content over and over that gets rejected to see if we are third or fourth time lucky!"

Thats a very good comment to make at this moment in time....we all need help in may various ways, and SS can certainly make all our lives a tiny bit easier by being honest, transparent and straightforward with all its Contributers in why they are rejecting certain photos/videos......... before Contributers start to reject SS!

once again today 5 clips rejected for noise. i am thinking to stop uploading and i believe shutterstock should say something about this situation.

take into consideration that they are rejecting clips that 3 days ago they sold one on mine for 0,69 usd. ridiculous

@Alex Shutterstock

What is going on with the footage noise rejections?

Something is very, very off, as the rejections on those are not reasonable in any way. If you look just into this thread (there are others about it as well), it just doesn't make any sense. Why would experienced people who shoot at low ISO in great light conditions get all of their footage rejected for noise?

Is there a software glitch somewhere that renders people's footage wrong for the equipment that the reviewers use?

There are even rejections for noise on animations per the reports from contributors - now how much sense does that make?

Is there any way to look into this?

It's incredibly discouraging to the contributors who shoot at appropriate settings in good light conditions, choose the clips they submit carefully, and then check and double check them to make sure they're free of noise and YET they get rejected for this ONE thing, which is utterly baffling.

Please, on behalf of all of us, can you check what is going on?

10 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Im trying to find the magic number.  11 in this batch.  I suspect thats high enough for large scale rejections.

I'll reupload 6 from them after that.

OK confusingly this time all 11 got accepted.  Including 5 that previously got rejected for "noise".

Maybe its just a random generator of deletions to keep the volume down rather than any specific pattern.

Just now, Richard Whitcombe said:

OK confusingly this time all 11 got accepted.  Including 5 that previously got rejected for "noise".

Maybe its just a random generator of deletions to keep the volume down rather than any specific pattern.

Images or footage? 

1 minute ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Footage.

Images i dont seem to have an issue with.

Thanks, I'll try again

On 3/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, Doug Jensen said:

I haven't had time to submit very much new material lately so I can't really comment if noise rejections are more frequent or not for footage that doesn't deserve it.  I seem to recall having a few clips rejected last December for noise and I didn't agree with it so I resubmitted and they went through the second time.  At the time it seemed that anything with fog, clouds, or rain was particularly in danger of being rejected.  Also there was a 50/50 chance anything shot with my Hero8 was would be rejected for noise no matter what the content was, but I don't really expect to sell anything from a GoPro so I didn't care.  I submitted 20 editorial clips two weeks ago and three were rejected as similars but none were rejected for noise.  I have 10 commercial clips awaiting review right now that have clouds, smoke, fire, sunrise lighting, and full dark. If SS is truly getting picky about small details in video that isn't really noise these should trip the breaker.   I'll come back and report what happens.

The ten clips I spoke about in my earlier post were finally reviewed today.  Three out the ten were rejected for noise.  They are all nighttime rockets with smoke, fire, etc. so not too surprising they would be rejected.  In fact, I'm surprised that a couple of the ones that were approved got accepted.  Sadly, there's no actual noise in the ones that got rejectected so a smart reviewer (or non-machine) would recognize that the smoke, fire, etc. is just the nature of the content and cannot be avoided.  it is like working with children or government bureaucrats who can't think for themselves.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

The ten clips I spoke about in my earlier post were finally reviewed today.  Three out the ten were rejected for noise.  They are all nighttime rockets with smoke, fire, etc. so not too surprising they would be rejected.  In fact, I'm surprised that a couple of the ones that were approved got accepted.  Sadly, there's no actual noise in the ones that got rejectected so a smart reviewer (or non-machine) would recognize that the smoke, fire, etc. is just the nature of the content and cannot be avoided.  it is like working with children or government bureaucrats who can't think for themselves.

Were the clips editorial that were rejected Doug?

On 3/21/2020 at 5:36 AM, Richard Whitcombe said:

ive found so far 5 or less is 100% acceptance.  12 or more gets most rejected for noise and artefacts.

I don't think there's a magic number. I've had two out of a batch of just three clips rejected once, one for noise, the other for rolling shutter. The funny things was, all three were shot at the same time, with the same settings. All three were accepted elsewhere. The two rejected ones were accepted here without issues on second submission.

10 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I've had two out of a batch of just three clips rejected once, one for noise, the other for rolling shutter. The funny things was, all three were shot at the same time, with the same settings. All three were accepted elsewhere

This, IMHO, would  mean that they're using faulty equipment and/ or software that doesn't play the footage correctly.

24 minutes ago, CH Digital Media said:

Were the clips editorial that were rejected Doug?

No, all commercial in this batch.

I've got 9 more commercial clips waiting for review right now, and 270 more 4K clips uploading now so I'll have more data in week or two to see what makes it what doesn't.

Fortunately, sales for the month are doing well so far.