Sign in to follow this  
Phil Lowe

Who's curating the recent purge of images?

Can't help but notice the total number of images in the database, which was once more than 323M, is now down to slightly less than 315M with about 500,000 disappearing overnight.  What's behind this purge and are reviewers taking a hand in it?  Is that why editorials - at least some of mine - seem to be taking much longer to be reviewed?

Finally, what are the main factors involved in images being removed?  What has the content management team found to be the number one reason for deleting images or entire ports from the database?  

@Alex Shutterstock, @Kate Shutterstock, @Anna Shutterstock

Thank you, Deb.  Yes, I saw that, which is why I went through my port last night and this morning and dumped 10 images that weren't selling and that certainly could've been considered similars.  So it's a tiny step backward, but keeping those 10 pictures certainly wasn't worth risking my entire port over. ;)

8 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Clarity on this would be good. 

+1000!  :)

Due to what happened to IM_Visuals I went through my whole video port and deleted over 3500 clips that could have been interpreted as similar's, even high ranking clips, as it seems SS doesn't care how many times a clip has sold, one press of the button and you can be terminated. It could have been a one off, or it could be how the new management intend to move things going forward, but with the way contributor support is these days at SS I couldn't face being in the same situation as IM_VISUALS. Actually looking at how my port has matured over the past decade I was happy to delete most of my older stuff, and what I classed as similar's weren't what SS would have called similar's but maybe in the future that policy would change. It was a wake up call in any case.

I am considering the same after all the pain... But i am still on the same opinion that what is accepted is accepted!You shouldn't be charged for that.
Just be careful with the new ones, and don't upload too often if you have some rejected images from the previous batch.

Cheers guys!

I agree with you, but unfortunately ShutterStock is a company that changes the rules all the time, moving goal posts is a very active business model here, who knows what state of affairs we will be facing in the future. I still feel better for removing those files, just piece of mind I guess.

20 minutes ago, CH Digital Media said:

I agree with you, but unfortunately ShutterStock is a company that changes the rules all the time, moving goal posts is a very active business model here, who knows what state of affairs we will be facing in the future. I still feel better for removing those files, just piece of mind I guess.

This is very wise decision! 

12 minutes ago, IM_VISUALS said:

btw - how to delete files from the port, i have trouble finding that option...

Thanks in advance!

Go to Catalog Manager, Select the image/clip that you want to delete, Click on the pencil and at the top of the Next page there is an option to Delete. Unfortunately there is No bulk delete.

btw - how to delete files from the port, i have trouble finding that option...

Thanks in advance!

Use the Catalog Manager, click on the box that has the little pencil in it, then click on the trash can icon.  

1 minute ago, MJD Graphics said:

Unfortunately there is No bulk delete.

Well, not for us, anyway, not short of writing SS and asking them to remove the whole port. ;)  Someone at SS has access to a bulk delete button, though.  

13 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Someone at SS has access to a bulk delete button, though.

Was actually wondering about that. Why where they removing images/clips from @IM_VISUALS port like they did, not in one go, his port just kept getting smaller. I know that a Data Manager could do this with just one line of code or why didn't they just disable the whole port in one go. It was a very strange way to remove the images/clips.

4 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

Was actually wondering about that. Why where they removing images/clips from @IM_VISUALS port like they did, not in one go, his port just kept getting smaller. I know that a Data Manager could do this with just one line of code or why didn't they just disable the whole port in one go. It was a very strange way to remove the images/clips.

They mistaken the "send warning" button with the red one (terminate portfolio).
When they made the mistake the process of terminating my port began - it was 12 hour or something process.
After that they needed even more time to restore it, but i think it's because the database mapping/propagation.

1 minute ago, IM_VISUALS said:

They mistaken the "send warning" button with the red one (terminate portfolio).
When they made the mistake the process of terminating my port began - it was 12 hour or something process.
After that they needed even more time to restore it, but i think it's because the database mapping/propagation.

Yes, I agree, but when they remove a Thieves port it is gone at once and on the buyers site you get the message 'Cannot acces the page' or something like that. With you we could still access your port a could see it diminishing by the hour, that's what I find strange.

1 minute ago, MJD Graphics said:

Yes, I agree, but when they remove a Thieves port it is gone at once and on the buyers site you get the message 'Cannot acces the page' or something like that. With you we could still access your port a could see it diminishing by the hour, that's what I find strange.

That's interesting, didn't knew that. You're right then - something was different in my case and it is really strange...

It must be whole ports with similar or seemingly similar images they are hunting ..! Not a few similars in all ports.

It would help a lot if they were just as eager shutting down ports consisting solely of stolen images.

I think when they terminate a 'thief' account they lock down the whole account, in IM_ViISUALS account they needed to keep it open for the payment options, and so we saw the files diminish in real time because we could still see the account, just my guess.  

PS Ah already answered 

25 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Someone at SS has access to a bulk delete button, though

Rumors circulate about the existence of an "option zero" button, that will delete the whole database, in case of an extreme similarity outbreak.

After that they needed even more time to restore it

Yes, this does take more time because they have to Restore it from Disk which involves Data Transfer and the Syncing that comes with it, removing the image/clips has almost no data transfer except for the Syncing of the Hard Drives.

It took three days for me to delete the files individually, I don't know of any Stock site that has a bulk delete option for contributors, not any I upload too, P5 will do it for you if you give them a list of files you want deleting. When I filled out the questionnaire survey, that still pops up every time I log in by the way, I mentioned a bulk delete feature to be added. 

So in the end, i think someone should explain to us should we delete similar content our self and basically should we even bother with our already accepted content in the portfolio?
Because even if you have some similar images/videos, if they are selling quite well i don't see reason to delete.

Someone really should explain to us.

Cheers

28 minutes ago, IM_VISUALS said:

So in the end, i think someone should explain to us should we delete similar content our self and basically should we even bother with our already accepted content in the portfolio?
Because even if you have some similar images/videos, if they are selling quite well i don't see reason to delete.

Someone really should explain to us.

Cheers

The answer is blowing in the wind.

2 hours ago, oleschwander said:

The answer is blowing in the wind.

I just deleted 50 video clips and 100 images that could be considered similars.  i have almost 13,000 images though, so it's going to take some time to go through all of them. Personally, I think if SS has already accepted the images we should not be penalized for those images.  Another problem is that recently I have had many rejections on the grounds of being similar, but when I look at the images they do not look similar. So when I upload them I am always surprised when images get rejected for being similar. 

14 hours ago, CH Digital Media said:

It took three days for me to delete the files individually, I don't know of any Stock site that has a bulk delete option for contributors, not any I upload too, P5 will do it for you if you give them a list of files you want deleting. When I filled out the questionnaire survey, that still pops up every time I log in by the way, I mentioned a bulk delete feature to be added. 

I think it is possible at Alamy. Their image manager is a bit weird - you have to deselect images as well as select.  If you click on an image and modify the info and then click on a second image to do the same the first does not deselect and what changes you make to the second also appear on the first.  This is to allow bulk management - say you have 50 images all shot in the same location you can select them all and put the location so you only have to do it once.  You then deselect all and just pick one or 2 at a time to do other stuff (number of people, property etc).  This functionality does also apply to deleting I have just checked so you can select multipe images and click delete.  I believe their limit for contributors is 500 at a time.