What about U and B? 😁

I only posted the 11 identical images to make a point, otherwise it's all in fun. I had to ask myself why did 11 people upload the same image? Is there something special about it? Was it featured as a best selling image or something?

The simple answer for the actual problem is this. If SS would designate a team to look at what gets reported, and put a 90 day hold on all earnings for new accounts, plus watch them for image theft, the problem would soon go away on it's own. But if the thieves have a collection and can get away with anything, they will keep opening accounts and trying.

What I'm saying is, make the business of stealing, unattractive and unprofitable and that's the end. Actively shut down existing thieves, by actually reading what we report. And soon there won't be a need for a special team to police this problem.

nipitinthebud.jpg

Proper agencies (not micro) have full time compliance departments that not only respond to reports, they also proactively trawl their own collection and look elsewhere for licence violation.
I suspect a lot of these accounts are bot factories, a share torrent of images, spared over lots of accounts to minimise the risk of it all being closed down.

*BUT* some are individuals as well as the one on facebook uploading stuff from videoblocks and asking for help etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, HodagMedia said:

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/similar/1101771029

Or ten people with the identical image, most I checked had under one page of photos. 😲

SS-sunset-waves-image-theft.jpg

Two of them are just mirrored left to right. But 11 identical al images? Can anyone beat that?

This is still the winner so far - i love the fact SS own algorithm turns up identical images, automatically flagging stolen images for all to see and portfolios and SS still don't act!
Original image is on pxhere.com from 2017 (and on sale here by the same author).

17 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

This is still the winner so far - i love the fact SS own algorithm turns up identical images, automatically flagging stolen images for all to see and portfolios and SS still don't act!
Original image is on pxhere.com from 2017 (and on sale here by the same author).

I wondered which was the original but decided not to try to track it down. Can anyone answer why ten people decided it was so wonderful and copied it, to post on SS as their own? Did it win some award or something?

10 "people" with almost the same number of images in their portfolio and other images off pixabay (against the T&Cs...).
In other words, its one person with multiple accounts.

More and more now instead of huge portfolios of stolen work each individual seems to have multiple smaller accounts.  I guess its less to lose if one of them gets terminated.

3 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

10 "people" with almost the same number of images in their portfolio and other images off pixabay (against the T&Cs...).
In other words, its one person with multiple accounts.

More and more now instead of huge portfolios of stolen work each individual seems to have multiple smaller accounts.  I guess its less to lose if one of them gets terminated.

Interesting observation.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, HodagMedia said:

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/similar/1101771029

Or ten people with the identical image, most I checked had under one page of photos. 😲

SS-sunset-waves-image-theft.jpg

Two of them are just mirrored left to right. But 11 identical al images? Can anyone beat that?

If you'd import all these to After Effects as a sequence you couldn't have an animation 😁

A slightly different variation but one you see a lot - people reselling Shutterstock photos, in this case $1 an image for full resolution.  So buy that, reupload, resell.

Its a common trick.

180473014_Screenshot2020-11-18034532.thumb.png.db2bf35ddad5324ee6655c691ef946a3.png

Openly posted on the Shutterstock Contributors facebook group (where many people admit to uploading pixa and elsewhere)

Wow neat, I wonder if I buy my own photos, if I can make them rise in the rank and display earlier on the search? LOL I mean, heck, $10 for a rank boost?

How do you know that these people aren't employed somewhere that has a shared 750 image pack? You assume these are stolen, not legitimate paid downloads. True, reselling them is not right, but you keep shouting about SS security as the cause, without any evidence that it is the way these are obtained. How do you know that as a fact?

Then there's a point of, why don't people have FAA images or from other stock sites, where large and full size versions without watermarks are accessible the same way as ShutterStock? I'll go back to my argument that it's because SS is the biggest and the best, that the thieves will target that status. If crooks are interested in market and profit, they will steal a Corvette or a Porsche, not a 2010 Toyota.

These people don't steal our work from SS only because of SS, but because of the supply and the demand. There are smaller agencies that someone could download the whole collection, because of security holes. They don't because selling "any Shutterstock image" is something that buyers want. (or that these idiots think will make them some fast money)

Please consider those possibilities?

[quote]How do you know that these people aren't employed somewhere that has a shared 750 image pack? You assume these are stolen, not legitimate paid downloads. True, reselling them is not right, but you keep shouting about SS security as the cause, without any evidence that it is the way these are obtained. How do you know that as a fact?[/quote]

Because if you fake interest (and people have) they explain how they can source them, photos and videos completely free. They're likely using the API bugs that keep getting removed off YouTube and places.

No doubt some are reselling subscriptions as well (against T&C) but this is a direct method.

Yes SS is the biggest (lets face it, if you're trying to steal BigStocks 10c a year you're pretty desperate) but it does have long standing and sadly very well documented gaping holes in its security which have never been addressed.

I think its a combination of the biggest *and* one of the easiest that makes it appealing.

There are multi GB size packs of SS images and videos floating around parts of the internet as well.

14 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

True, reselling them is not right, but you keep shouting about SS security as the cause, without any evidence that it is the way these are obtained. How do you know that as a fact?

I think you’ve got a point, which I also was thinking of. I can be that it’s because SS is the biggest - like PC’s are more exposed for hacking than Mac.

But there are two things - firstly I don’t think that those people will invest one cent in what they are doing. They don’t know if they can ‘sell’ images enough to get profit from their ‘investments’. Secondly almost all the best images are also at other agencies. It could be interesting to ask them on Facebook how they get hold of them. ..! 😝 And maybe you don’t get the full resolution after all ..!
Maybe it’s because of this forum it comes out in the light, but there dont seem to be the same huge problems with ports of stolen images at other sites? So the security aspect CAN be an issue?

5 hours ago, oleschwander said:

It could be interesting to ask them on Facebook how they get hold of them. ..! 😝 And maybe you don’t get the full resolution after all ..!
Maybe it’s because of this forum it comes out in the light, but there dont seem to be the same huge problems with ports of stolen images at other sites? So the security aspect CAN be an issue?

People have asked them its from Shutterstock - if you request an image or footage they want the exact SS id of what you want and they openly say they get it from there.

Im sure other sites do have stolen issues but a lot of them proactively monitor for misuse whereas SS in the FAQ have an explicit policy on not monitoring and waiting to be sold.

This is a different issue though, its being able to steal images from not sell stolen images on SS.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:45 AM, Former_Poster said:

People have asked them its from Shutterstock - if you request an image or footage they want the exact SS id of what you want and they openly say they get it from there.

Im sure other sites do have stolen issues but a lot of them proactively monitor for misuse whereas SS in the FAQ have an explicit policy on not monitoring and waiting to be sold.

This is a different issue though, its being able to steal images from not sell stolen images on SS.

Trying to point out that these image thieves could work for someone or have a stolen ID for a shared subscription. Not stolen by backdoor or other ways.

These could be paid downloads. What the heck, 350 packs with advance billing they would be paying 39c an image and selling for a dollar, which is 61c profit for every image they resell illegally.

One way to tell would be, as distasteful as I find the thought, buy an image pack from one of these people, selected one of your own images, one each from people you know here, and see if you all get subs.

But you have your mind set in one direction and haven't considered any other possibilities for where these come from.

And I'll say again, SS is the biggest and has the most and has the affordable subscriptions, plus many large companies that have the 750 pack, team license. Look at what we get for a sub and you can see what kind of subscription made the download. Most are the large subscription packs.

ss-large-pack-subs.jpg

This is where our 10c subs come from, the pink zone. I'm level 4 right now and I'm getting 17, 14 and 15s many times. That tells us what kind of pack was used to buy the license. 10¢ tells us very little until level 4, at which point all of them are 750 pack downloads.

Example of how to know more from the real numbers. I just got a .17 sub. That was someone with a monthly 350, no contract account.

If someone wants to know the truth, instead of forum factoids, go buy some downloads, and see if you get credit for subs. Look at what kind of sub, if you do. And if you get no sales, no DLs and nothing, you know for a fact that these are 100% stolen images. But it's not impossible that these are downloaded subs from SS accounts.

Since I don't spend my time worrying about these creepy people, and I really don't think my work is attractive to people who would want to pay the thieves $1 each for something I did... I'm not going to do the research. Someone who cares, might want to find out for you? 🙂

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

But you have your mind set in one direction and haven't considered any other possibilities for where these come from.

Simply isnt the case.  Ive seen transcripts and (before removed) youtube videos where the people openly say they're using exploits to get the media.

The information for how to do it is still freely available if you know where to look complete with howto guides.

Several people have engaged these to find out whats going on and the data they've released has also shown the stuff is obtained not via subscription but via direct means.

(Remember its still possible to extract the full video url from streaming links a year after the problem was reported etc).

Without adding more detail because this forum is indexed by google and any extra detail will make the problem worse.

There was a thread last year (got removed) where a user showed how it was possible to obtain his material for free (he used his own for obvious reasons).

No doubt there is some reselling going on as well but half the population of Pakistan aren't paying for full scale subscription packages every month just to resell on the SS facebook groups.

20 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Simply isnt the case.  Ive seen transcripts and (before removed) youtube videos where the people openly say they're using exploits to get the media.

The information for how to do it is still freely available if you know where to look complete with howto guides.

Several people have engaged these to find out whats going on and the data they've released has also shown the stuff is obtained not via subscription but via direct means.

(Remember its still possible to extract the full video url from streaming links a year after the problem was reported etc).

Without adding more detail because this forum is indexed by google and any extra detail will make the problem worse.

There was a thread last year (got removed) where a user showed how it was possible to obtain his material for free (he used his own for obvious reasons).

No doubt there is some reselling going on as well but half the population of Pakistan aren't paying for full scale subscription packages every month just to resell on the SS facebook groups.

Right, the only way anyone could get these is through theft and the back door. Please ignore any other possible solutions. Oh wait, you have.

Of course, I've seen pages that describe how to steal an image, we're not blind. I've also seen then for pretty much any site. Not just how to, but links that say drop the image ID here and get any image free from Getty, and a long list of agencies, which includes SS. You just seem to be hung up on, it only happens here, which is not true.

"How to Download Adobe stock images free without watermark" or "Go to Gettyimages.com Search for an image and copy its link. Paste the url in input box above and click on download. Our system will generate a download link." That's just a quick two.

Here's a small fact for you also, if you can see an image on your computer, it's already saved on your computer. Alamy for example has disabled right click, and many other as well, but if you can see anything, you already have downloaded it. I think you understand cache and how that works?

Of course we agree, we'd all like this to be stopped, and making it more difficult would be good, but please understand, this is not an exclusive SS problem like you make it sound.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, HodagMedia said:

Of course, I've seen pages that describe how to steal an image, we're not blind. I've also seen then for pretty much any site. Not just how to, but links that say drop the image ID here and get any image free from Getty, and a long list of agencies, which includes SS. You just seem to be hung up on, it only happens here, which is not true.

"How to Download Adobe stock images free without watermark" or "Go to Gettyimages.com Search for an image and copy its link. Paste the url in input box above and click on download. Our system will generate a download link." That's just a quick two.

Here's a small fact for you also, if you can see an image on your computer, it's already saved on your computer. Alamy for example has disabled right click, and many other as well, but if you can see anything, you already have downloaded it. I think you understand cache and how that works?

Of course we agree, we'd all like this to be stopped, and making it more difficult would be good, but please understand, this is not an exclusive SS problem like you make it sound.

[quote]Right, the only way anyone could get these is through theft and the back door. Please ignore any other possible solutions. Oh wait, you have.[/quote]

Rubbish.  As i said, there is some reselling and some verified stealing to order using exploits.

[quote]but please understand, this is not an exclusive SS problem like you make it sound[/quote]

Again that isn't true.  SS has far more of a problem due to unpatched, unfixed API and other bugs that have been present for 2-3 years.  They make it far easier by not looking for or plugging holes anywhere near as proactively as other agencies do.

The same bug now to obtain a full, high res 4k video clip from a $3 streaming download has been around 18 months and still works.  The Facebook API to get images has been around in various forms for years and still works and so on.

They dont help themselves by not addressing these issues (same with the stolen portfolios and so on).

3 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

[quote]Right, the only way anyone could get these is through theft and the back door. Please ignore any other possible solutions. Oh wait, you have.[/quote]

Rubbish.  As i said, there is some reselling and some verified stealing to order using exploits.

[quote]but please understand, this is not an exclusive SS problem like you make it sound[/quote]

Again that isn't true.  SS has far more of a problem due to unpatched, unfixed API and other bugs that have been present for 2-3 years.  They make it far easier by not looking for or plugging holes anywhere near as proactively as other agencies do.

The same bug now to obtain a full, high res 4k video clip from a $3 streaming download has been around 18 months and still works.  The Facebook API to get images has been around in various forms for years and still works and so on.

They dont help themselves by not addressing these issues (same with the stolen portfolios and so on).

If you are going to ignore the facts, it's no use pointing out the contradictions in your never ending attacks, saying ONLY SS has these problems (not true) and the ONLY way they could be stolen is because of bad software. Also not true, there are many other ways, I just pointed out a stolen large sub account and you ignored that as well. Or people who work for some firm with a large sub account, which you also tossed aside. Let me repeat, we don't even know most of the time, if the theft came from SS, you just assume that.

You only see what you want to see. Hopefully some people reading here will be more open minded to other possibilities and not the blind personal, one track, attack on ShutterStock.

Yes, I wish all the agencies would be more diligent about finding stolen images on their accounts, and shutting those down. Also try to do more about protecting our interests by preventing theft. This is an internet and industry wide problem.

I've said this before, all new accounts get monitored for 90 days, no payouts for 90 days as well. Making it more difficult and removing some of the incentives for some fast money from image theft, would send off many crooks who are looking for easy money selling others work. Stop them before they get into the system.