Sign in to follow this  
jagoda

Similar images or stolen images?

Very unintentionally and accidentally I saw in similar images my but "not my' image /: Just look at it. This is mine: christmas-nativity-scene-holy-family-600w-86300797.jpg.ae62b857569b521c0ca26903f534715f.jpg

And this one is copyrighted by another artist - chutima kuanamon :

christmas-holy-family-baby-jesus-600w-1236206479.jpg.dd10cda8a764908bd62924a86237c1f8.jpg

??? What do you think? Are these pictures similar or not?

This is a link to this strange portfolio: https://www.shutterstock.com/pl/g/chutima+kuanamon?sort=popular Maybe you'll find your pictures too ..

By the way, what should I do? I really don't like this cyan background. This image isn't new  and I'm quite shocked about this situation.

Compliance@shutterstock.com is where you report the situation  also @Kate Shutterstock is quick off the mark with these. 

Their port is big. If they are all stolen. Wow. 

I clicked on 4 random ones and scrolled down to find the same image suggested as similar.... and those belonged to different people. Yours, Australian flag etc but report to compliance.

Thanks I'll try with Kate Shutterstock.. I've contacted with suppport but you know.. It seems to be complicate :(

Thanks I'll try with Kate Shutterstock.. I've contacted with suppport but you know.. It seems to be complicate :(

It's not just about honesty or earnings... It's also important, of course. But let's think what the buyer thinks when he look at the same picture copywrited by two different authors... Clearly something is wrong! Who really is the author of the work and has the copyright? This is not fair to the users. It doesn't inspire confidence :((

Do we have to be detectives and track violations of our rights in a place we trust? If I noticed it by any chance, why doesn't anyone on the staff see it? Maybe next year the thief will say I stole his picture?

41 minutes ago, jagoda said:

It's not just about honesty or earnings... It's also important, of course. But let's think what the buyer thinks when he look at the same picture copywrited by two different authors... Clearly something is wrong! Who really is the author of the work and has the copyright? This is not fair to the users. It doesn't inspire confidence :((

Do we have to be detectives and track violations of our rights in a place we trust? If I noticed it by any chance, why doesn't anyone on the staff see it? Maybe next year the thief will say I stole his picture?

What I don't get is that if I accidentally upload a similar picture, the reviewer notices it and it gets bounced, either because it's the same image or too similar. This one should pop up!

11 minutes ago, Patricio_Murphy said:

What I don't get is that if I accidentally upload a similar picture, the reviewer notices it and it gets bounced, either because it's the same image or too similar. This one should pop up!

Agree. Reviewers usually don't accept color versions and similar images.

This case is  even worse that free vectors sites or sth like that. I found my images there many times but when i said "PLease, remove my picture. I don't agree" it was removed immediately. Besides, on websites with free images the guys don't sell them but give them away for free. They don't take profit from it.

I know there is SS official way with terms, legislation and conditions but it's too difficult for me. I can't write a legal writing in Polish and what's in English?

Shutterstock Expert has  explained me. This is what I should do -  or anyone whose image was stolen :

Procedure for Making Copyright Infringement Claims:

If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and it is accessible on this site, you may notify our copyright agent, as set forth in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 ("DMCA"). To be effective under the DMCA, a notification of claimed infringement must be a written communication provided to Shutterstock's designated agent that includes substantially the following:

A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the Shutterstock to locate the material.
Information reasonably sufficient to permit the Shutterstock to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
The above information must be submitted as a written notification to the following Designated Agent of Shutterstock:

Name of Agent Designated to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement: Sejal Patel
Address of Designated Agent: Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor - New York, NY 10118
Attn: Sejal Patel
Telephone Number of Designated Agent: (646) 449-6068
Facsimile Number of Designated Agent: (646) 786-4782
Email Address of Designated Agent: infringementclaims@shutterstock.com

Easy :D

2 hours ago, jagoda said:

🤪That's crazy ... SS should just close the damn port and that's it. Wonder if they are drowning in cases since they make this up ..? The result will of course be that the honest contributors have to give up complaining.

33 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

🤪The result will of course be that the honest contributors have to give up complaining.

Yeah. I've decided to complain on this forum xD

I'm just disappointed and disgusted. It's mad that things like this are happening here. It can happen to anyone of us.
I am not an outstanding artist and my images are not works of art. They are what they are but they are mine. I probably haven't lost much beyond trust. And I'm sad, of course :(

12 hours ago, jagoda said:

This is a link to this strange portfolio: https://www.shutterstock.com/pl/g/chutima+kuanamon?sort=popular Maybe you'll find your pictures too ..

By the way, what should I do? I really don't like this cyan background. This image isn't new  and I'm quite shocked about this situation.

you might want to be careful, i don't see any evidence of stolen Pictures, in fact the pictures in the first few pages i hope were not stolen because this would be like a thief going into a jewelry store and stealing all the glass "gems".

The illustrations may be worth investigating  

11 hours ago, jean-francois me said:

i don't see any evidence of stolen Pictures,

Like SS experts  :D

You're right and I'm very careful. Maybe it's a technical  bug  :D Maybe chutima kuanamon doesn't know about all these alien images in his portfolio?? It can be.

The first pages are full of pretty ugly pictures. Inside the portfolio are "borrowed" pictures from many artists. The "similar" algorithm is brilliant for tracing such flowers. But what happens next when you know?

3 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

The extraordinary skills of chutima kuanamon :D He's  the quintessence of a stock illustrator.... so many styles and drawing techniques !!

3 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hello,

To report content like this, and to learn more about what is and is not allowed

Hello Kate,

Your answer is very helpful. I should learn more.

Thanks,

Jagoda

On 3/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, jagoda said:

Very unintentionally and accidentally I saw in similar images my but "not my' image /: Just look at it. This is mine: christmas-nativity-scene-holy-family-600w-86300797.jpg.ae62b857569b521c0ca26903f534715f.jpg

And this one is copyrighted by another artist - chutima kuanamon :

christmas-holy-family-baby-jesus-600w-1236206479.jpg.dd10cda8a764908bd62924a86237c1f8.jpg

??? What do you think? Are these pictures similar or not?

I found something of mine there too. I'm very angry.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:32 PM, jagoda said:

Shutterstock Expert has  explained me. This is what I should do -  or anyone whose image was stolen :

Procedure for Making Copyright Infringement Claims:

If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and it is accessible on this site, you may notify our copyright agent, as set forth in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 ("DMCA"). To be effective under the DMCA, a notification of claimed infringement must be a written communication provided to Shutterstock's designated agent that includes substantially the following:

A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the Shutterstock to locate the material.
Information reasonably sufficient to permit the Shutterstock to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
The above information must be submitted as a written notification to the following Designated Agent of Shutterstock:

Name of Agent Designated to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement: Sejal Patel
Address of Designated Agent: Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor - New York, NY 10118
Attn: Sejal Patel
Telephone Number of Designated Agent: (646) 449-6068
Facsimile Number of Designated Agent: (646) 786-4782
Email Address of Designated Agent: infringementclaims@shutterstock.com

That's stupid.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hello,

To report content like this, and to learn more about what is and is not allowed, you can send a DMCA Notice to compliance@shutterstock.com. Our compliance team will be able to assist.

For more info, visit  https://www.shutterstock.com/terms/dmca-notice

Thanks,

Kate

Hello @Kate Shutterstock

Thank you for responding to the forum. However, I’m always baffled by Shutterstock’s reliance on the DMCA. I thought the purpose of the legislation was to protect ISPs which host files - see the quote from your own colleague below; Shutterstock goes way  beyond this and licenses images on contributors’ behalf. Shutterstock’s issue seems, to me at least, a little different from people uploading clips of their favourite shows to Youtube, it is repeatedly allowing people to commit fraud by selling something they have no right to sell (including the work of genuine Shutterstock contributors) and possibly profiting from this. Moreover, it also has people to check to them before accepting them - we’re constantly told that these are highly trained human experts not Bots. Except for thieves, most Shutterstock contributors would welcome it if Shutterstock’s compliance department was a little more helpful. No one wants Shutterstock to be involved in a law suit over the remit of the DMCA.

According to Sejal Patel, Shutterstock’s Senior Counsel:

the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “DMCA”) can be useful in taking down infringing content hosted by internet service providers (“ISPs”). Generally, an ISP is a website or server that hosts content uploaded by users. For example, online marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon can be considered ISPs, as well as social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.

https://uk-bloggers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Shutterstock-QA.pdf

1 hour ago, Anita Ponne said:

I found something of mine there too. I'm very angry.

Welcome to the victims' club :) Very cool drawing and great portfolio. I'm glad that I'm in such a company, although it's a pity that for such a reason.  To be honest, I didn't manage to achieve anything even though I fought like a lion. I didn't manage to see 39 pages of "this portfolio" and I have no idea if there is anything of mine still there. There are certainly pictures of other artists. If you're going to do something and I could help, I'll help.