M S Thakur

188 Images but 0 download in the first month

On 3/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Starsphinx said:

Uh not quite my progression.  My progression was
Went to safari park took photos on phone - crap
Did research, ignored said research and bought bridge camera.  Delighted - for 6 weeks.
Learned research I ignored was correct when after 6 weeks took photo perfectly that was useful for nothing except snapshot due to limitations of bridge (Kite taking food off of water)
Borrowed money bought DSLR was even more delighted.
Thought I was wonderful and taking brilliant photos so joined stock site (DT whom I had purchased from). 
Got images rejected, did not make million over night. 
Posted on support forum - got roasted.  See the thread we are on but deservedly worse.
Pulled in horns stopped submitting continued taking photographs paying attention to some points raised in roasting.
Started taking photos of sons football - asked to do more.  Not charging. 
Did more football (a lot more).  Got reasonable. 
Met skilled pro at match who had seen my work got told to start charging and join Alamy.
Followed advice - amazed people paid for football shots. Joined Alamy.
Feedback on Alamy regards exposure and screen brightness which I have passed on here to this thread.
Joined camera club.
Started with local news site.
Alamy cut percentage joined SS (and others)

So in actual fact the development and improvement in my technical abilities came from getting roasted on a stock forum - without that roasting I would not have developed at anywhere near the speed because that roasting did not pull punches - nor should it have.   The gentler supportive advice that was the tendency at the camera club was OK - but too much trying to find nice things to say to offset necessary truths which means it takes longer to absorb. 

I will add that in that original roasting, just as in this thread, there were images and parts of images highlighted as good.  These advice threads may be harsh but they are not negative, and generally include pointing out good bits as well as what is wrong.  You can tell someone "needs more space but nice subject" and the message might drip through or tell them "stop cutting the feet of a perfectly good dog" and the message gets through fast.

However harsh it sounds these threads are not ever malicious or people trying to feel good by making others bad - they are more a case of people saying actually up here is not quite as wonderful as you think but it has its perks but if you want to make it up here with us you are going to have to sweat some work some hurt some.  Which is pretty much the message you will get in any area of newbies trying to make their way - be it motherhood, fatherhood, photography, working in a factory, learning a new sport or whatever. 

Well this is a right feedback. I know it is not going to be a cake walk and I am ready to improvise. 

3 minutes ago, M S Thakur said:

Well this is a right feedback. I know it is not going to be a cake walk and I am ready to improvise. 

So long as you remain open and willing to learn you will get there.  Sure criticism hurts our pride - but without it we would never improve.  Keep shooting keep  learning and most importantly keep loving the camera - so long as you still get that buzz from shooting you will keep going.

2 hours ago, M S Thakur said:

I'm sure you will do just fine. We are all learning, all the time.

IMO constructive criticism is one of the most valuable things you can receive in these forums (and it's free). When help is sought here by a newbie the feedback should be candid and honest. Heavily sanitized comments, while good intentioned, can be just as unhelpful as mean spirited ones. Now, unless one among us was knighted "Sir Canon Mark III" at birth, we should assume that all of us started out as beginners. This forum brings out talent of all skill levels which is a good thing. Beginners can use the feedback to learn more about microstock, how to improve, or even reassess their expectations based on their abilities. 

3 hours ago, Sharkshock said:

This forum brings out talent of all skill levels which is a good thing. Beginners can use the feedback to learn more about microstock, how to improve, or even reassess their expectations based on their abilities. 

I think the thing that bothered me the most in the not-too-distant past, was this attitude, expressed by some of the recently departed, that you absolutely had to have a base level of earnings here before you should even deign to offer suggestions to other people, as though only those who "had arrived" dare offer help on someone else's port.

I've always believed that people can learn by helping others, since we are not all on the same page in this book called "Life".  When I was teaching, whether it was underwater photography, or even Sunday School, I had to be the very best student in the room, because any lesson I taught not only involved my own life experience, but hours of research and study myself, so that I not only knew the practice and theory, but could address anticipated questions before they arose, so that I wouldn't be wasting people's time fumbling through notes.  In that regard, teaching makes the teacher better, too.

So, by all means, if someone has constructive criticism to offer, they should feel free to chime in, even if they're new, because it's the give and take that make for a better learning experience for everyone.

IMHO.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:56 AM, M S Thakur said:

Dear Forum Members, 

It my first month and I have uploaded 188 images . I have tried to keep a varied portfolio , though some categories like Ocean , Flowers are having relatively more no of photographs, however still there has been a zero download. I am not taking this as a primary source of income but a couple of downloads would certainly have motivated me further.

Please suggest 

THough I think I'll end up repeating some of the advice already given:

1) Give locations/names in your descriptions and keywords. Not just "mountain" or lake (which mountain, which lake) people may be looking for shots a particular location (eg, they're writing about Massachusetts here in the states, a picture of "motif no. 1" in Rockport Mass. might be what they need, but without the proper keywords, the photo won't be found).

2) If shooting wildlife and plants - give the common name in english (eg, ring billed seagull) and scientific name (Larus delawarensis) both in the description and keywords.

3) One piece of advice I've heard here in the forums, is to shoot things near you that are unique. Or if you visit places that aren't as well represented here on SS (EG, a quick search of "sri lanka" brings up ~252,000 photos, a quick search of rose brings 4,614,9897 images!

4) don't get discouraged. I think everyone who's been on SS long enough has had a photo or two that has sold for the first time a long time after being posted. Also, I think I've seen the figure ~15% of your photos will account for the majority of your earnings (I don't know if it's all, 50% or something like 80%. Others might recall, if they've heard similar figures).

5 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

I think the thing that bothered me the most in the not-too-distant past, was this attitude, expressed by some of the recently departed, that you absolutely had to have a base level of earnings here before you should even deign to offer suggestions to other people, as though only those who "had arrived" dare offer help on someone else's port.

I've always believed that people can learn by helping others, since we are not all on the same page in this book called "Life".  When I was teaching, whether it was underwater photography, or even Sunday School, I had to be the very best student in the room, because any lesson I taught not only involved my own life experience, but hours of research and study myself, so that I not only knew the practice and theory, but could address anticipated questions before they arose, so that I wouldn't be wasting people's time fumbling through notes.  In that regard, teaching makes the teacher better, too.

So, by all means, if someone has constructive criticism to offer, they should feel free to chime in, even if they're new, because it's the give and take that make for a better learning experience for everyone.

IMHO.

I agree 100%. In college we had some pretty brutal critiques learning graphic design. The teacher would leave the room and have us rank our projects from most successful to least successful. Other times pieces would be ripped off the wall and thrown into the trash. It was humiliating, eye opening, and humbling all at the same time. Looking back, the experience definitely helped me: What did it take to succeed at a high level? Who were the alpha dogs and what could they teach me? How could I digest criticism instead of rejecting it? My hope is that constructive feedback will help others on here that plan on sticking around. On the other hand, there will be those who underestimated what's involved to make some waves in stock photography. Feedback is important for them too. That's where dreams of "$hoot! Upload! EARN$$$!!!" go to die. 

I love this answer. I definitely see it if I enter the forum once a week. "1,000,000 photos are added weekly, your port is small"

I filled a year. I still haven't earned my investment, but the developments are positive. As the photos start to be sold, you start to enjoy. I sold my first photo 2 months later. Be very careful with the keywords. I have changed the keywords of my old unsold photos and are being sold. You have to understand the keywords and I am learning too.

I miss @Laurin Rinder. Although he had a hard temper, he was an educator. I think it guided me really well "Stop pulling those stupid cups and go out and there's a big world in 50m."

17 hours ago, nmtdtrk said:

I miss @Laurin Rinder. Although he had a hard temper, he was an educator. I think it guided me really well "Stop pulling those stupid cups and go out and there's a big world in 50m."

Not to hijack this thread, but I had noticed @Laurin Rinder hadn’t posted in a while (life got ahead of me and it’s been a while since I’ve been on the forums). Does anyone know how/where he is?

1 hour ago, nmtdtrk said:

Exactly - he was a great guy imo.

6 minutes ago, Adam Gladstone said:

Does anyone know he he is?

I think he was banned from the forum ... miss him here.

2 hours ago, M S Thakur said:

This one was downloaded from the same location alongwith the earlier one.

Scotland/United Kingdom-September 2017:Highway on the highlands of Scotland United Kingdom

Good job, MS, and congratulations on your first sales!  Now you're hooked!  :)

Hi Veterans, 

I have recently started uploading vector images also, but i have been getting rejection reason as "vector containing linked images bitmaps and/or raster effects are not acceptable. 

Could you please help me with this rejection reason. The following image was rejected :-

Faces_1.svg