Bearfruit Idea

What does "Similar Content" means???

I recently submit many set of icons and they were rejected because similar content. My icons are in the same topic but they're different styles.

Various styles of icons are for various customers' need. I don't have problem to sell my icons in other websites.

Shutterstock was my favourite stockphoto marketplace but nowsaday earnings from Shutterstock is the lowest.

And Shutterstock inspectors are really bad and poor quality.

icons.jpg

sucks.jpg

21 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

You're providing the same icons in different colour ways. They don't like this, they will be considered as similar content. There is more info on similar content here: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000012339?q=similar+content&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Really? they don't like this but there're tons of similar content in this website!!!

By the way, my icons are not only different color but they're different icon styles and they're designed in different way.

22 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

You're providing the same icons in different colour ways. They don't like this, they will be considered as similar content. There is more info on similar content here: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000012339?q=similar+content&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

What about your image portfolio? Same elements in your images but only different angles, are they similar content????

The similar content rule is new and not retrospective.  What other people have got away with in the past, or even get away with now,  doesn't matter if the reviewer is applying the current rule correctly.

11 minutes ago, Emily Veinglory said:

The similar content rule is new and not retrospective.  What other people have got away with in the past, or even get away with now,  doesn't matter if the reviewer is applying the current rule correctly.

Did you check out Fresh Content page before reply to this post?

Here https://www.shutterstock.com/search/icons?image_type=vector&sort=newest

Keep refreshing that page man! you will see tons of similar content are coming out.

3 minutes ago, Bearfruit Idea said:

Did you checkout Fresh Content page before reply to this post?

Here https://www.shutterstock.com/search/icons?image_type=vector&sort=newest

Keep refreshing that page man! you will see tons of similar content are coming out.

Some slips through, which doesn't make it right, just that some reviewer was more lenient to color and B&W variations. I know this isn't news and doesn't make any of us feel better, when we get a rejection for similar, but reviews have sometimes been known to be inconsistent. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Emily Veinglory said:

Right, and I know for a fact that Linda's images have been up for years. Too bad we can't see dates anymore showing when something was uploaded, without trying to do some convoluted pseudo math, by image numbers.

1 hour ago, Linda Bestwick said:

My Christmas balls rejected, I guess because of the same approach.

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 14 18.48.jpg

3 hours ago, Bearfruit Idea said:

I recently submit many set of icons and they were rejected because similar content. My icons are in the same topic but they're different styles.

Various styles of icons are for various customers' need. I don't have problem to sell my icons in other websites.

icons.jpg

By the way, I don't find your three styles to be redundant or too similar, but I'm not a reviewer, who's aided by AI that somehow magically IDs things as similar and alerts them.

Yeah I know, Positive, negative and color, but honestly, a buyer could just want a fast set of these, without doing extra editing.

Not too many, for my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Well, sometimes it is really irritating imho. In the specific case of OP I think @Linda Bestwick is right.

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 18.35.37.png

Hardly as similar as some inch by inch that used to pass. Different angles. Maybe next month? 😉

23 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

I don't find your three styles to be redundant or too similar.... a buyer could just want a fast set of these, without doing extra editing.

I agree on that. Although strictly by the rules, they are similar, I think they should have been accepted. Definitely very different styles.

25 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Maybe next month?

Absolutely, maybe next week ;) 

2 hours ago, Bearfruit Idea said:

What about your image portfolio? Same elements in your images but only different angles, are they similar content????

Why the poor attitude towards someone who took time out of their day to try and help you? And not just me. I understand you are not happy with SS, but getting stroppy with forum members isn't going to change anything.

Just because I shared the info on what SS consider similar content doesn't mean I agree with it. In fact IMO they should be accepted, but my opinion means diddly squat.

You might want to check the forum rules too https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/92787-welcome-to-the-shutterstock-contributor-forum/ 
Posting images from my port without my permission to have a go at me is not acceptable. Please remove them.

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Too bad we can't see dates anymore showing when something was uploaded, without trying to do some convoluted pseudo math, by image numbers.

I am not talking about Linda's images here but the date doesn't matter. The rules of similar images are not new, uploading similars  got intensively practiced just lately. They were always saying that we should select our best images and don't upload variations of different angles........ It stays somewhere in the guidelines or on the blog but I will not waste my time looking for it.

However, different colors of the same image//illustration/ vector was always allowed all over the board. I remember FT rules allowing versions in six colors and that was unanimously accepted by others too.

Whatever the so called new rules are (which nobody has ever seen on paper), they are not for everyone that's for sure.

Some got rejections for a vertical and horizontal, while those who "upload, upload, upload" get away with hundreds (thousands) of identicals.

16 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

the poor attitude towards someone who took time out of their day to try and help you?

This happens all the time lately with some newbies. Not that they don't thank you for your help but you are put in the corner for who knows what. It won't happen to me again.

Just now, Whiteaster said:

This happens all the time lately with some newbies. Not that they don't thank you for your help but you are put in the corner for who know what. It won't happen to me again.

Sadly, that is the outcome. People stop helping, or leave all together. Not many messengers left here to shoot now. 

22 hours ago, Bearfruit Idea said:

Shutterstock was my favourite stockphoto marketplace but nowsaday earnings from Shutterstock is the lowest.

And Shutterstock inspectors are really bad and poor quality.

icons.jpg

sucks.jpg

Try not to submit same topic different style icons files at the same time.  You could also mix up the order of the icons in the file and you should have no trouble getting them accepted.

19 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Why the poor attitude towards someone who took time out of their day to try and help you? And not just me. I understand you are not happy with SS, but getting stroppy with forum members isn't going to change anything.

Just because I shared the info on what SS consider similar content doesn't mean I agree with it. In fact IMO they should be accepted, but my opinion means diddly squat.

You might want to check the forum rules too https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/92787-welcome-to-the-shutterstock-contributor-forum/ 
Posting images from my port without my permission to have a go at me is not acceptable. Please remove them.

I'm so sorry Linda. I removed the images already. 

Yesterday I was so upset because the rejection reasons were unacceptable. I sold my icons here for 4 years. This is not the first time that SS reviewers gave unreasonable reasons.

1 hour ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

Try not to submit same topic different style icons files at the same time.  You could also mix up the order of the icons in the file and you should have no trouble getting them accepted.

Thanks for your advice but they're also rejected.

By the way, now I decide to stop submit my icons here because they're doing better earnings in other websites than SS. And all of my icons are accpepted in every other websites.  Thanks to you guys who try to help!

xx.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bearfruit Idea said:

I'm so sorry Linda. I removed the images already. 

Yesterday I was so upset because the rejection reasons were unacceptable. I sold my icons here for 4 years. This is not the first time that SS reviewers gave unreasonable reasons.

Thanks for your advice but they're also rejected.

By the way, now I decide to stop submit my icons here because they're doing better earnings in other websites than SS. And all of my icons are accpepted in every other websites.  Thanks to you guys who try to help!

xx.jpg

Thanks for the apology, I appreciate it.
It's good they are being accepted on other agencies, sorry your having a tough time with them on SS.

20 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I am not talking about Linda's images here but the date doesn't matter. The rules of similar images are not new, uploading similars  got intensively practiced just lately. They were always saying that we should select our best images and don't upload variations of different angles........ It stays somewhere in the guidelines or on the blog but I will not waste my time looking for it.

However, different colors of the same image//illustration/ vector was always allowed all over the board. I remember FT rules allowing versions in six colors and that was unanimously accepted by others too.

Whatever the so called new rules are (which nobody has ever seen on paper), they are not for everyone that's for sure.

Some got rejections for a vertical and horizontal, while those who "upload, upload, upload" get away with hundreds (thousands) of identicals.

While we are beating this dead horse, I'll point out, true they had the rules before, but they were not enforced. Now they are arbitrarily over enforced. Yes, there's nothing specific, so we can't know, but since the enforcement seems to be random and based on each reviewers opinions, there's no hope of a clear definition of the rules.

I don't see the hundreds of identicals anymore? Maybe I'm missing that? That was the old days, and back to, if we could see the upload date, and it's (making up a guess) before October 2019, then that might explain how they passed?

I don't have a real problem with this kind of rejection, I hardly upload more than one of anything, sometimes two, I have a few that are FOUR! 😃 For my Editorial yes I have had similar content rejections, which means those go to Alamy as Exclusive. No problem for me to do that and get 10% more. Actually my Editorial here is pretty much exclusive, just to spread out the variations of those subjects.

For the person who started this thread, with icons, there's one additional note:  https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000012339?q=similar&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Which I'm sure has been linked before.

" This content is too similar to another image or clip that has already been submitted or published”, it is because the content you submitted closely resembles another image or clip that has already been accepted to our site.  "

Doesn't necessarily mean another image personally submitted, but another image already on the site, that someone else already submitted.

Yeah, I don't know why a vertical and horizontal crop would be rejected. Old advice was, make three, one portrait, one landscape and one square. I guess that's over the hill and out of date.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

While we are beating this dead horse, I'll point out, true they had the rules before, but they were not enforced. Now they are arbitrarily over enforced. Yes, there's nothing specific, so we can't know, but since the enforcement seems to be random and based on each reviewers opinions, there's no hope of a clear definition of the rules.

I don't see the hundreds of identicals anymore? Maybe I'm missing that? That was the old days, and back to, if we could see the upload date, and it's (making up a guess) before October 2019, then that might explain how they passed?

I don't have a real problem with this kind of rejection, I hardly upload more than one of anything, sometimes two, I have a few that are FOUR! 😃 For my Editorial yes I have had similar content rejections, which means those go to Alamy as Exclusive. No problem for me to do that and get 10% more. Actually my Editorial here is pretty much exclusive, just to spread out the variations of those subjects.

For the person who started this thread, with icons, there's one additional note:  https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000012339?q=similar&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Which I'm sure has been linked before.

" This content is too similar to another image or clip that has already been submitted or published”, it is because the content you submitted closely resembles another image or clip that has already been accepted to our site.  "

Doesn't necessarily mean another image personally submitted, but another image already on the site, that someone else already submitted.

Yeah, I don't know why a vertical and horizontal crop would be rejected. Old advice was, make three, one portrait, one landscape and one square. I guess that's over the hill and out of date.

Pete, in general I always agree with your opinion but this time your reading was very superficial:

1 How can something be enforced that does not exist? Where are the rules, please point me to them, maybe I am missing something? Even those few clear rules they have, reviewers don't stick to them.

2. Yes there still are almost identicals accepted, I left a hint in my previous post about where you can see them, and they were accepted this year.

3. I had one rejection for vert and horiz, lately and it was not a crop but a new 35MP image. I am not talking for me but for the OP, look at these last rejections she/he posted. For someone like me who doesn't know vectors they all look the same, mainly because the small size and layout but a reviewer should see the difference.

In the old times vector artists were complaining about thieves that changed a dot or two on their images and submitted the stolen images as their own. At that time SS didn't agree with the complainer, they said those were different. Now it is the opposite, they all look alike.

4. So what if  someone else already submitted identical images, how about the 3,679,538 tomatoes and others alike, they still accept them.

I don't have the answers and you don't have them either but SS's guidelines/ rules should be more clear. The OP (and many others) revolt is justified.

Rant over, sorry.

It seems perfectly clear to me. If the reviewer thinks it is too similar they hit the button that says so.  It's not an old rule and reviewers are human and don't apply it with perfect consistency.  When it happens you shrug and move on, and maybe resubmit later if you feel like it. Anything else is shouting at clouds.

11 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

Pete, in general I always agree with your opinion but this time your reading was very superficial:

1 How can something be enforced that does not exist? Where are the rules, please point me to them, maybe I am missing something? Even those few clear rules they have, reviewers don't stick to them.

2. Yes there still are almost identicals accepted, I left a hint in my previous post about where you can see them, and they were accepted this year.

3. I had one rejection for vert and horiz, lately and it was not a crop but a new 35MP image. I am not talking for me but for the OP, look at these last rejections she/he posted. For someone like me who doesn't know vectors they all look the same, mainly because the small size and layout but a reviewer should see the difference.

In the old times vector artists were complaining about thieves that changed a dot or two on their images and submitted the stolen images as their own. At that time SS didn't agree with the complainer, they said those were different. Now it is the opposite, they all look alike.

4. So what if  someone else already submitted identical images, how about the 3,679,538 tomatoes and others alike, they still accept them.

I don't have the answers and you don't have them either but SS's guidelines/ rules should be more clear. The OP (and many others) revolt is justified.

Rant over, sorry.

I thought I was agreeing with you? 😄

On 2/15/2020 at 5:13 AM, Whiteaster said:

I don't post to the forum often but I have to comment on the contributor you refer to.  I get knock backs on similars, as we all do, so how does he get away with his literally hundreds and hundreds of (almost) identicals?  What, you just move an arm or change facial expression as you stand up against the wall in the exact same getup, same background, and that's not similar?  I simply don't understand it.

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

I thought I was agreeing with you? 😄

Oh man, I apologize, I was the superficial one. I got carried away in the middle of the night but now, in the morning I realized that you said the same thing in a single sentence.

Sorry for that.

31 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Actually 200+ of those last minute desperate to get to 10K images of himself were removed from his port by admin last year so there were a lot more accepted originally.

That could be true but the latest selfies on the fresh page have been approved these last 1-2 days, according to their ID.