Canon EOS R5 Officially Announced!

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-8k-video-its-official/?fbclid=IwAR2P4WchQAptSnWf9q8WY1VjQNQaLctG0QnPbcQT8QMYQqs_ZMkNw7CeFTs

• 12 fps mechanical shutter, 20 fps electronic shutter
  • New 45MP sensor
  • 8K video!  This is the most exciting part for both videographers and still photographers, as you will now be able to pull 33MP stills from a video stream, versus 8.8MP stills from a 4K stream!  And downscaling to 4K will look even better than most 4K footage now!
  • Dual card slots.  (I hope they are both CF Express cards).

This camera is aimed squarely at people, like me, who use and love Canon's 5D line of professional cameras. 

Time to sell all my Nikon gear.  :)

And, just for reference, this is an image pulled from 4K video shot on the Sony A6500:

stock-photo-medium-shot-of-a-wild-snook-

Can't wait to see stills pulled from 8K!  :)

So great but to be honest, none of those newly announced cameras and lenses flames a fire in me as (you wouldn't believe it) NIKON DF did. And I've never had chance to buy one sadly... I was thinking about it yesterday looking for what's new in photography equipment world, and I realized the Nikon DF with its 50mm lens was the only camera I've actually ever & earnestly wanted since Nikon D90 which was my very first dSLR camera. 

2 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Pulling stills like that from video is another dagger in the he(art) of photography

Not really.  What is film?  A series of still images projected on a screen and moving through time at 18, 24, 30, or 60 frames per second.  Nothing about video changes the fundamentals of good photography: subject, light, exposure, focus, and composition are all as necessary to achieve good images in video as they are in photography.  What difference then, does it make, if I shoot a scene at 1 frame every few minutes, or 30 frames per second?  

@Milleflore Images has made a living out of shooting her tabletop scenes with a 4K video camera and pulling stills from the resulting clips.  I see it as killing two birds with one stone.  :)

53 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Not really.  What is film?  A series of still images projected on a screen and moving through time at 18, 24, 30, or 60 frames per second.  Nothing about video changes the fundamentals of good photography: subject, light, exposure, focus, and composition are all as necessary to achieve good images in video as they are in photography.  What difference then, does it make, if I shoot a scene at 1 frame every few minutes, or 30 frames per second?  

@Milleflore Images has made a living out of shooting her tabletop scenes with a 4K video camera and pulling stills from the resulting clips.  I see it as killing two birds with one stone.  :)

The decisive moment from the comfort of your livingroom........ It's probably me. I was never into machinegun style photographer either.

No wonder so many go back to analog 

On 2/14/2020 at 7:34 PM, Phil Lowe said:

What difference then, does it make, if I shoot a scene at 1 frame every few minutes, or 30 frames per second?  

The difference, as you should know, is that shutter speed requirements for video and film are usually vastly different unless you are doing tabletop setupsand things like that that are illustrations or have very little movement.  Freeze frames extracted from most of my 4K clips would look like crap and and I'd be embarrassed to be associated with them.  Furthermore, it isn't worth the time it would take to process and submit.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks tempting but a few things needed:-

Canon needs to get a sensor on par with the current sony offerings in terms of noise performance.  So far they've failed.

They also need to make sure that the adaptor for the EF lenses does not hurt the AF speed and accuracy.  People will switch if their existing, telephoto L glass can still be used with no performance degradation but they're unlikely to if the AF speed IS affected.

One thing about pulling stills from videos, especially if its action shot is going to be motion blur.  Your video shutter speed will be chosen specifically TO get some blur on the image which means any stills pulled will have this blur.

Log video is essentially, ideally RAW at 4k/60.

As for dual cards, I really hope its NOT CF-Express!

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 10:44 AM, Richard Whitcombe said:

It looks tempting but a few things needed:-

Canon needs to get a sensor on par with the current sony offerings in terms of noise performance.  So far they've failed.

They also need to make sure that the adaptor for the EF lenses does not hurt the AF speed and accuracy.  People will switch if their existing, telephoto L glass can still be used with no performance degradation but they're unlikely to if the AF speed IS affected.

One thing about pulling stills from videos, especially if its action shot is going to be motion blur.  Your video shutter speed will be chosen specifically TO get some blur on the image which means any stills pulled will have this blur.

Log video is essentially, ideally RAW at 4k/60.

As for dual cards, I really hope its NOT CF-Express!

Ive got an EOS R and have noticed literally zero delay on autofocus with L glass or third party EF lenses and thats compared to my friends 5d mkIV with the same lenses.

Also if I'm honest i haven't had any noise issues, it may not be as good as a Sony but in terms of usable ISO performance I've shot up to 6400 with recoverable noise.

I will also preface i had a choice between buying a 5d IV or the R and chose to purchase the R mainly due to the insane autofocus options and in viewfinder focus peaking and the fact RF Glass is the future its already blowing EF glass out the water and there's only 8 lenses (i own none yet due to the price mind). When tested against the 5dIV we found almost no noticeable difference in image quality and the CR3 files are slightly more easier to push.

I think the R5 will be amazing but at what cost? if the R and the support/firmware fixes they have rolled out to fix this camera continue into the R5 I think itll be a massive success its and A9, A7s, A7 and A7r rolled into one. If the design stays like the R itll fit in the hand better than any of them too.

It will be interesting to see how Sony respond and tbh how well the 1DXiii sells post R5 launch 

45 megapixels? what is the size  of the raw file on disk then?

|I am working on old 13 years old computer 8 gb icore2 only with win 10, and believe me, 24 mpx raw image 24 megabytes is very heavy on my machine, that was top of the line 13 years ago :)

If I open 2 images at the same time- nothing else responds...

I know, i know, time to upgrade, but too expensive :)