4 minutes ago, Matylda Laurence said:

had the same as you...I think they just want to slow down uploads and hope that one boat on a river with a background will suffice for the buyer ... irritating at best ...

Thanks, it looks like SS wants all contributors not to contribute.

I have just had a load rejected as needing to be editorial - when I submitted them as editorial.  I am starting to suspect the desire to slow uploads may be a good guess.

I have this same story, 
Two photos of this same object but totally different framing and one vertical and the other horizontal. 
Is there something we can do about that? 

39 minutes ago, Emeryk III said:

I have this same story, 
Two photos of this same object but totally different framing and one vertical and the other horizontal. 
Is there something we can do about that? 

When Shutterstock announced the stricter similar rules they explained that whether an image is vertial or horizontal makes no difference in regard of how similar an image is considered. 
Shortly before that they release one of their blog posts where they even suggested to contributos to take both vertical and horizontal shots of the same subject to give customers an option to chose from, but I guess that does not matter anymore. The rules are as they are. Similarity is a very subjetice matter. Some might agree with the reviewer, some might disagree. All you can do is

1. Look at the photos and really consider hard whether they are similar or not. Are they 'exchangeable', meaning, a customer who might want the first could just as well take the second one for the very same purpse instead? (Ignoring the vertical/ horizontal aspect, as that is what Shutterstock wants, even though I don't agree with that as horizontal and vertical shots can have very different usage) Then chances are high they are too similar.
2. If you still feel that these two shots are significan different and and offer the customer something different, then just try to resubmit. As said, similarity is very subjective and a different reviewer might see it your way.

I uploaded two identical (!) photos yesterday (just smudged a tiny area after the 1st upload to "correct" the photo when I realized the mistake), and uploaded the fixed one within an hour, with the intent that I would delete the 1st one before the 2nd version gets to the reviewer. Not realizing that I can't delete it for a period of time before it gets to the database. Long story short, I got both accepted parallel! That much for stricter rule for similar : ). I did delete the bad one of course, though it gave me a headache to figure out which is the good one. 

Last weekend I had a photo rejected as similar - it is the front of a hand carved wooden seat.  It has a different scene from the back, and the back has a bronze memorial plaque detailing the commemoration of the seat not to mention the front has the bit you sit on and the back doesnt.  So all in all actually quite different and distinct but rejected as too similar.  I have shrugged and not bothered resubmitting.

This was similar, and this one is not, off course if i find my drawing in gallery shutterstock offer me a lot of similar images, eg beautifful same looking rainbow colored  peace signs...

PeaceSign4.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, Firn said:

When Shutterstock announced the stricter similar rules they explained that whether an image is vertial or horizontal makes no difference in regard of how similar an image is considered. 
Shortly before that they release one of their blog posts where they even suggested to contributos to take both vertical and horizontal shots of the same subject to give customers an option to chose from, but I guess that does not matter anymore. The rules are as they are. Similarity is a very subjetice matter. Some might agree with the reviewer, some might disagree. All you can do is

1. Look at the photos and really consider hard whether they are similar or not. Are they 'exchangeable', meaning, a customer who might want the first could just as well take the second one for the very same purpse instead? (Ignoring the vertical/ horizontal aspect, as that is what Shutterstock wants, even though I don't agree with that as horizontal and vertical shots can have very different usage) Then chances are high they are too similar.
2. If you still feel that these two shots are significan different and and offer the customer something different, then just try to resubmit. As said, similarity is very subjective and a different reviewer might see it your way.

do understand all of that. And to be honest I'm happy that they tightening the rules. But I submit 5 photos and i can agree that 2 of them were similar. But only one got accepted. 85mm 2.8 so verry shallow DOF and they rejected 2 taken with 17mm at 5.6 and totally differend angle and frame. That is why i was so surprised. Except fact that subject was this same they are totally different photos.