Sign in to follow this  
Seba Busch

Hello, new here.

Hello,

Three years ago, my daughter was born I decided to buy a camera, without any knowledge or passion for photography (I was aiming more from video back then). Then it starts a process that couldn’t be stop, I see every youtube tutorial I can get, buy (and read) some photography books and take a lot of pictures. I started quite old in this, but I feel I have grown a lot.

Recently I discover stock photography and I sign in with the hope that someday it can pay my equipment. Will see. It’s a hard process, I discovered. A lot of pics rejected for reasons I didn’t knew they have. Also, as I used to take pictures of my family only, I realize I have wasted a lot of opportunities of having good commercial photograph of things and locations.

I live in Chile, South America. I noticed there isn’t much photos in SS near my locations. Could be this an opportunity? Or is because nobody really cares about my home town in a far away country?

I would love to hear some feedback from you guys. I have being reading the forum and I discover that most of you are very good people. I can take some brutal honest critiques (I think is the only way to grown in life). I think I will have 100 pics in port soon, and I will have to slowly make some more.

Hello,

It may be an opportunity. However, it depends how well locals know the legal aspects of using photos commercially. I mean that they don't just go find images on the internet and uses them without permission. 

Local businesses need local images for their marketing and easiest way to get them legally is to download stock images. But I think you still need to improve the quality of your images so keep on learning.

Some quick tips:

• Keep on uploading and learning composition and post-processing
  • Use relevant keywords 
  • Shoot things unique to Chile 
  • Search for "chile" on Shutterstock. Learn to make better images than those appearing on the top :)

You can find more tips to consider in my blog: https://jamoimages.com/stock-photography-tips/

Thank you for the advice, I will do that and see what happend.

About the quality of the image, i have a few consideration i want to share...

As a self made photographer, I have a lot of pictures of my family and friends, and the have really appreciate them, giving me the impession that my techniche and editing skills where getting better everyday Thats naturall if you considere there where ussed to take and share snapshots.

... BUT, in the process of uploading images here, I realice of something that I didn't see, but have read a lot. Noise and sharpness. Now I see my old photos and I find them everywhere, its crazy!

Its a possitive thing after all, now I see good photography and undestand the difference with mine. Also now im planning on how to improve my technique having does factors in mind. So maybe SS doesnt going to make me rich, but hell its helping me to improve.

13 hours ago, Seba Busch said:

Thank you for the advice, I will do that and see what happend.

About the quality of the image, i have a few consideration i want to share...

As a self made photographer, I have a lot of pictures of my family and friends, and the have really appreciate them, giving me the impession that my techniche and editing skills where getting better everyday Thats naturall if you considere there where ussed to take and share snapshots.

... BUT, in the process of uploading images here, I realice of something that I didn't see, but have read a lot. Noise and sharpness. Now I see my old photos and I find them everywhere, its crazy!

Its a possitive thing after all, now I see good photography and undestand the difference with mine. Also now im planning on how to improve my technique having does factors in mind. So maybe SS doesnt going to make me rich, but hell its helping me to improve.

SS definitely won't make us rich.

We have a saying here that goes "Siberia Teaches". That means learning things by hard way. That's what stock photography sometimes feels like :)

To improve noise and sharpness it is good to understand the holy trinity of photography: Exposure time, aperture and ISO and how they are connected on each other. Also, using tripod on landscape photography for example gives better sharpness and allows longer exposure times.

Then understanding light in photography and learn a bit of color theory may take you images on to another level.

I really like this image, and when you take out the brand name on the piano in PS, you could put it up as commercial. 

If this is a local bar, I would go back and shoot some more ;)  

2182D3F0-BB2D-4886-B38B-EFA757D0FA39.jpeg

Thank you very much for your complements, I really appreciate. I was ready for harsh critiques, so is a nice surprise.

Can you have the same photo both as commercial and editorial? I haven’t find something that said otherwise, haven’t seen any portfolio with that either.

1 hour ago, Seba Busch said:

Sell my first photograph today!

After two weeks of starting uploading.OMG Tthe feelings.

That's a great start! It took me almost 2 months to sell my 1st photo here.

Seba,

Keep in mind that my opinion and that of everyone else is just that "an opinion". Having said that I have a few suggestion that in my opinion would make your images "better" and more likely to be purchased. 

1.  Research the specific kind of flower, bug or location and use that name in your title and keywords (even the scientific names if you can find them).  The buyer is usually well informed on his subject matter (what he is looking for) and will use it's specific name in his search.

2.  IMO you often crop your images too close.  Buyers many times want copy space (blank space) within the image for "their message".  

3.  In many of your images the backgrounds are a bit "cluttered".  This tends to take away from the subject of your image (makes them less recognizable) and ultimately of less commercial value.  Make your subject recognizable in a small thumb nail image as this is what a potential buyer sees.   

Thank you for the feedback!

I don't get why people are so sensitive some times with critiques, I quite enjoy them (do you enjoy reviewing portfolios?). I have learn a lot and still learning . For example, now I realize that I have to clean my sensor, and is a typical thing in mirrorless cameras (which I own).

Summarizing, I pass my first month in SS, and i sell 4 photographs. I think is a good way to start and motivates me, so i will continue to upload and see what happen.

Hi Seba,

there is still some room for improvement with your pictures. First of all I noticed the description of your person. Would you let your floor tile from someone who writes that he does not make that yet for a long time but tries to become better? The description must be more striking, for example: As a Chilean photographer you will find great insights into my beautiful country (for example)

On 2/28/2020 at 4:15 PM, Seba Busch said:

Thank you for the feedback!

I don't get why people are so sensitive some times with critiques, I quite enjoy them (do you enjoy reviewing portfolios?). I have learn a lot and still learning . For example, now I realize that I have to clean my sensor, and is a typical thing in mirrorless cameras (which I own).

Summarizing, I pass my first month in SS, and i sell 4 photographs. I think is a good way to start and motivates me, so i will continue to upload and see what happen.

I like your attitude, and your country. I visited it twice, but unfortunately that was in the time I was not so much focussed on photography (although I have some pictures of it on here)

stock-photo-cobquecura-chile-february-a-

I love those kind of things in latin america and I like this picture.

Just my opinion, but I would like to add to others that I think the white balance in your pictures is sometimes too blue in my eyes. Good luck!

On 1/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, Seba Busch said:

Can you have the same photo both as commercial and editorial?

I suppose it's possible, but why?  Commercial images can be used for editorial purposes but the inverse isn't true.  So if you shoot and process for commercial purposes, your images might be used editorially.  You're basically covering both bases by shooting and editing commercially.

When shooting outdoors, try to avoid shooting when the sun is directly overhead.  

stock-photo-pucon-chile-february-people-

The light, as you can see, is very harsh, and it creates harsh shadows on the subjects and the ground.  If you wait until the sun is much lower ("golden hour"), you can shoot this as a silhouette:

stock-photo-a-beautiful-gulf-of-mexico-s

When people are shot in silhouette like this, they become unrecognizable.  You can submit such images as commercial rather than editorial.

But even when the sun is high, try, as much as possible, to shoot with your back to it, or, at worst, coming from the side.  This image is editorial:

stock-photo-february-crystal-river-fl-fo

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi,

Almost 4 month now, almost 200 photograhs.

My sales yet have been very stable, two photographs per month. Almost all are landscapes, one of a building and one of wooden fisherman boats in the sea.

I was starting to upload videos too, downloaded Davinci resolve and seek for some footage that I have taken some time ago, but now I read videos are not going to be profitable anymore. I think I am late again.

Keep shooting scenes of life and people in your area, and don't be afraid of submitting editorials. 

Of course, since you seem to have a time machine, maybe jet into the future some more and shoot some stuff in 2050? Bet that would sell like hotcakes!

Just kidding, couldn't help it after seeing this in your port. Last I checked it was only May 3, 2020...

951762594_ScreenShot2020-05-03at8_48_57PM.png.3dd21f84c1de36550903e8693344220a.png

On 1/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, Evelyn de Waard said:

when you take out the brand name on the piano in PS, you could put it up as commercial. 

Why are so many people obsessed with encouraging people to mutilate perfectly good photos just so they can be submitted as Commercial? It is no longer 2008 and Editorial photos seem to sell on Shutterstock, mostly subs but then Commercial photos are also mostly sold as subs. 

17 minutes ago, Ricoh Mirai User Club said:

Why are so many people obsessed with encouraging people to mutilate perfectly good photos just so they can be submitted as Commercial? It is no longer 2008 and Editorial photos seem to sell on Shutterstock, mostly subs but then Commercial photos are also mostly sold as subs. 

My post was from January, and at that point I believed a Commercial image still had more value, based on other posts in the forum.

Now, a few months later, I have changed my mind and agree with you, that ‘Commercial’ images are mostly sold as subs’. (Based on my own sales).

41 minutes ago, Ricoh Mirai User Club said:

Editorial photos seem to sell on Shutterstock, mostly subs but then Commercial photos are also mostly sold as subs. 

In theory, coms should sell better than editorials because the range of applications is wider.
In practice, however, I don't notice any difference, so there are only a few cases where I try to turn an editorial into a com by reworking it. 
Mostly only when I also want to make other changes and therefore the use as editorial is prohibited. 
Or if they are not illustrative editorials and I want to get rid of them for more money at AS, too. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)