helpful or meaningful quotes for photographers, painters, graphic artists, and illustrators

for photographers, Graphic designers, and illustrators

There are quotes that are helpful and applicable for what we are doing here. Some of those memorable and might even get stuck in your head.

Looking for something a little bit memorable, meaningful, and useful.

If you have any of those, you can post them here, but please give credit if you know where the quote came from.

I start:

If nobody has any quotes, at least remember this one

"Imitation is only for those who don't know what they are doing" - Jan Groover, (famous) Photographer 1943-2012

(so, don't let that happen to you)

This international forum also contributes to international understanding. Therefore, a little story from me about Germany, which fits the topic. 

In my childhood (I don't know if this is still the case today in times of the intrernet) almost all little girls had a "poetry album". It was a kind of book with empty pages and a pretty kitschy romantic cover. 
With the book they went to older relatives and friends. They then had to write a so-called "motto" in the book. So a proverb or a quotation. Often profound, philosophical and always guaranteed right. Really beautiful sayings that always fit. 

Is there something like that in other countries too?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

17 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

for photographers, Graphic designers, and illustrators

There are quotes that are helpful and applicable for what we are doing here. Some of those memorable and might even get stuck in your head.

Looking for something a little bit memorable, meaningful, and useful.

If you have any of those, you can post them here, but please give credit if you know where the quote came from.

I start:

If nobody has any quotes, at least remember this one

"Imitation is only for those who don't know what they are doing" - Jan Groover, (famous) Photographer 1943-2012

(so, don't let that happen to you)

I am not at all sure that is a useful quote - especially for newbies and those wanting to learn.  I am currently working on learning/improving drawing skills.  One of the things I am being encouraged to "unlearn" is the idea that copying and imitation are bad.  They are only bad if the intent is to pass them off as the work of the one you copied - otherwise copying and immitating is a hugely important tool for learning.  I feel the suggestion that copying and immitation are only for those who dont know what they are doing to be over critical and down.  It may put people off doing the very thing they need to develop. 

8 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I am not at all sure that is a useful quote - especially for newbies and those wanting to learn.  I am currently working on learning/improving drawing skills.  One of the things I am being encouraged to "unlearn" is the idea that copying and imitation are bad.  They are only bad if the intent is to pass them off as the work of the one you copied - otherwise copying and immitating is a hugely important tool for learning.  I feel the suggestion that copying and immitation are only for those who dont know what they are doing to be over critical and down.  It may put people off doing the very thing they need to develop. 

Thank you for pointing that out. It is great that you didn't take that quote at face value. It means you care and how else do we learn?

This is how I read the quote,

Learning and imitating are two different things. Trying to replicate an existing work can be an important learning tool. I agree. Imitating on the other hand, might have a less honorable intend and that is what was meant by Jan Groover. Her underlying message was for upcoming artist to develop your own style and for that, one has to learn the rules, which can be broken once you know them.

If one doesn't follow those steps (Learning, developing, knowing when and how to break the rules, etc ) one might never be able to pass step one and those are the people who (most likely) don't know what they are doing and some might resort to imitation to compensate for their lack of willingness to learn or hide their laziness

4 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Thank you for these threads @Rudy Umans They are like therapy compared to last year's conflicts.

It's all your fault!  When i was lurking during my "retreat", I read your thread of some time ago "Is photography art" and I thought that was inspiring.

Obviously in the world of microstock, a lot of people do whatever without much thought other than the dollars at the end of the month. That is fine. It is their  prerogative and I have no problems with that whatsoever. None of my business anyway. On the other hand, there are  a lot of contributors who would also like to grow in whatever it is they do. We see a lot of threads and posts about that and threads like this are meant for them.

11 minutes ago, Rudra Narayan Mitra said:

"......any brand of cameras will do the job. The best image ? lies two inches behind the viewfinder !"

Sorry I forgot where I read that so many many years ago. Forgot whose quote it is. It still inspires me, hence shared with you.

Regards,

Rudra

Many years ago there was a contributor from New Zealand, Kenneth ..(can't remember his last name). He used to say that a lot.

25 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Good. And what was the conclusion?  🤣

it's an ongoing discussion. For me, it is. (Except selfies!)

In the professional art world, photography has been recognized as art since the inception of the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) in NY in 1929. However, it was a struggle until 1966 when Dorothea Lange had her one person show in MoMa with her depression era documentary photos. That was the moment, the greater public got to know what collectors already knew about photography.

(I only know about the US. It might have been different in other parts of the world. Especially in the UK and France)

Since I brought up Dorothea Lange, Maybe I should start a thread about women in photography. Women play such a big part in yesterdays and todays photography, graphic design,  illustrations, and art in general.

15 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Museum of Modern Art

MS is not an art, because the best placed photos are not artistic enough.
MS is not a real business, the margins are too low and the course of business is too volatile. 
MS is a game. A mixture of gambling and skill. And the "money", the cents that are displayed on our dashboard at the end of the day, these are the points in this game. 
And as with any game, one goal is of course to get as many points as possible. By all legal means. 
But a game is only fun if there are a few losers. And for the losers the "art" of stock photography (which is really non-artistic) was introduced. The poor artist can, quite individually, also be a goal in which the individual finds his satisfaction.  Everyone has to find that out for himself. 
I am still in the game mode and try to get as many points as possible. I am curious how it will end. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)