Photographers who influenced you the most

What is your top 5 photographers who influenced you the most in your photography (for stock or art) ?

19th, 20th, or 21st century and dead or alive and doesn't have to famous

Mine are: (not in any particular order)

• Alfred Stieglitz ( A very influential photographer and gallery owner in the beginning of the 20th century. Without him, the USA art world might have looked different today)
  • Edward Steichen (Friend of Stieglitz, co founder of Gallery 291, At the time world best known fashion photographer. Worked for Conde Naste)
  • Margaret Bourke-white (She is somewhat of a hero to me. Fearless woman and among the first 4 photographers for Life Magazine)
  • John Sexton (assistant to Ansel Adams. His black and white is unequaled )
  • Man Ray (he was a great contribution to have photography recognized as art. Especially surrealism-what I love)
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad   humble, unknown and mostly alone. 

I don't even know names of 5 "famous" photographers, much less would I know anything about anyone's work, so I couldn't even discuss the topic. I don't know, and I don't care, as I don't see how

myself

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Foodio said:

It would be impossible for me to narrow it down to five after a very good friend of my fathers who was a pro studio tog before he passed away.

I have to agree with Sexton. He would be at the top of my list too.

There are a lot more whose work I love (dead or alive), but not every photographer I love influenced me.

Ultimately I think that these 5 had the most influence on me.

My mom, who handed me a Brownie Box camera on a San Diego beach when I was 4 and told me to take some pictures.  Was hooked after that.

Dale Pegg: Emmy-award winning news videographer, who broke me into news videography when I started in that business in Detroit in 1980.  

Chuck Davidson: Emmy award-winning sports videographer who, like Dale, broke me in on sports in 1980, teaching me how to shoot Red Wings hockey and Detroit Tigers baseball.  I won my first TV award (Albuquerque Press Club) shooting Albuquerque Dukes baseball on the strength of the training I got from Chuck.  He went on to be a top sports videographer for WBBM in Chicago. 

Jaques Cousteau/Al Giddings: Cousteau's specials in the 60s and 70s and Giddings' feature film work inspired me to pursue underwater photography and video, which I was able to apply to my own professional work in 1990 on the Christopher Rush Story, from which a feature-length documentary was made in 2015.  

I don't even know names of 5 "famous" photographers, much less would I know anything about anyone's work, so I couldn't even discuss the topic.

I don't know, and I don't care, as I don't see how any of that would be inspirational to me.

Maybe that's why I suck at this, as I'm not willing to "aspire to be like person X".

That said, I have full respect for those who CAN draw inspiration from others' work! Good for you! :)

27 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

I don't even know names of 5 "famous" photographers, much less would I know anything about anyone's work, so I couldn't even discuss the topic.

I don't know, and I don't care, as I don't see how any of that would be inspirational to me.

Maybe that's why I suck at this, as I'm not willing to "aspire to be like person X".

That said, I have full respect for those who CAN draw inspiration from others' work! Good for you! :)

Thw thing with me is Sari, I don't read photography magazines or "how to" books anymore, but I do read books about other photographers and art in general.

Anyway, they don't have to be famous and everybody (even you :)) gets influenced  by something or somebody one way or the other.  In some things it is just more obvious than in others. Like music for instance is much more obvious.

In general I think it is a beautiful thing

19 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Thw thing with me is Sari, I don't read photography magazines or "how to" books anymore, but I do read books about other photographers and art in general.

Anyway, they don't have to be famous and everybody (even you :)) gets influenced  by something or somebody one way or the other

Oh, I don't read any magazines (photography or other), or books, either. I do get books for gifts, but I put them on the shelf, or literally use them to prop something up, like one is under my mouse pad because otherwise it'd be a tad too low...LOL

I just don't care what other people's pics look like.

But yeah, one can be (and probably always is, either positively or negatively) influenced by pics, even just random ones that we see. If one makes any kind of impact, it likely leaves its mark on us, and might just come out in what we do sometime later on, without us giving any thought to it. It doesn't have to be conscious, but it can be, definitely, depending on the person.

13 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Going to sneak in another one and be disobedient. She is 19th Century. Julia Margaret Cameron. Amazing for a woman to achieve what she did at the time. I have visited her house on the Isle of Wight. I find her images very evocative. 

She is amazing. Her pictures had a great influence on the pictorialism movement.

Check out  Gertrude Kasebier

Thanks for a great topic, Rudy

I love Annie Leibovitz, the Rembrandt of Photography, and the incredible lengths she goes to with regard to staging, and the overall boldness and colour of her work.

ANNIE LEIBOVITCH QUEEN 2007

See the source image

Drew Barrymore shot by Annie Leibovitz

I would love to have her styling team and studios to be able to achieve what she does, but on a smaller level, I guess she has influenced me to do more with my work and go that extra mile. Push the buttons each time, so to speak. 

Top 5.  Don't know if this is the proper order but all inspired me in one way or another.

!.  My Dad.  He owned a small town Newspaper and he did everything to include taking all of the pictures.  Just growing up around that and seeing the whole process definitely started my interest in photography.

2.  My mom.  She didn't take pictures nor did she know anything about cameras but she taught art and was responsible (both genetically and personally) for my interest in art and  nature.  Regrettably, I didn't have the talent to extend my creativity past photography.

3.  Art Wolf, a well known wildlife photographer.

4.  Franz Lanting, another wild life photographer.

5.  David Muench, Landscape photographer

I wouldn't say they influenced me but a few of my favourite photographers are

Erwin Olaf (Dutch photographer)

Ansel Adams ( because of the B/W photos)

Don McCullen

and every photographer who does images for National Geographic

and that guy who did that amazing B/W portrait of Jimi Hendrix (can't remember his name)

44 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

Thanks for a great topic, Rudy

I love Annie Leibovitz, the Rembrandt of Photography, and the incredible lengths she goes to with regard to staging, and the overall boldness and colour of her work.

ANNIE LEIBOVITCH QUEEN 2007

See the source image

Drew Barrymore shot by Annie Leibovitz

I would love to have her styling team and studios to be able to achieve what she does, but on a smaller level, I guess she has influenced me to do more with my work and go that extra mile. Push the buttons each time, so to speak. 

See,  I think the first pic is nice; it's very classy but not pompous. Now, the other two don't do anything at all to me; I kind of like the light in the 2nd one, but the 3rd is a complete "meh".

That said - I know it takes a ton of skill / planning to get there on all of these pics.

30 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

See,  I think the first pic is nice; it's very classy but not pompous. Now, the other two don't do anything at all to me; I kind of like the light in the 2nd one, but the 3rd is a complete "meh".

That said - I know it takes a ton of skill / planning to get there on all of these pics.

I want to put a lion in my work! LOL

But basically I love the whole craziness and adventure of it all.

the middle shot was part of her Disney range.

Drew's shoot theme was The Beauty and Beast. Here's more:

https://coolpima.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/drew-barrymore-for-vogue-beauty-the-beast-by-annie-leibovitz/

annie-leibovitzdrew-barrymore-_5_.jpg

Oh, LOL, I bet it says a ton that I didn't know who the person in the lion pic was :D

Just the stuff on the table is so over the top and impossible for me - normal people don't have resources for that, never mind the rest.

Is it an adventure anymore when you have (seemingly) unlimited resources to do whatever? I don't know, I'm sure everyone has their own view about it.

Oh, and for me the beauty in the pic is the lion. That's a pretty kitteh! :P

54 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Oh, LOL, I bet it says a ton that I didn't know who the person in the lion pic was :D

Just the stuff on the table is so over the top and impossible for me - normal people don't have resources for that, never mind the rest.

Is it an adventure anymore when you have (seemingly) unlimited resources to do whatever? I don't know, I'm sure everyone has their own view about it.

Oh, and for me the beauty in the pic is the lion. That's a pretty kitteh! :P

yeah, she's a celebrity photographer.

The Disney shoot was shot for Vogue magazine. Don't know who chose the theme. And that in itself may be a little bit satirical - the fairytale of Hollywood.

Here are some of her more well known celebrity shots that you may like, Sari.  I just love her imagination and her ability to think outside the square.

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Aussie actress, Cate Blanchett

See the source image

And her famous John Lennon and Yoko shot.

See the source image

and her own (spoof??) portrait of the one above.

See the source image

Apologies for hogging the thread, Rudy. I must go! lol
52 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:
Apologies for hogging the thread, Rudy. I must go! lol

You're not hogging the thread. Discussions like this are a welcoming side effect of this kind of threads. They open our minds and widen our horizons.

As far as Annie Leibovitz goes, I liked her better in the "old" days when she was a little bit more hands on instead of being a production manager, but either way, she is a heck of a photographer.  Maybe for me personally her best days were when she was a photographer for Rolling Stone Magazine.

(every freakin' time I want to write Photographer I write Photogrpaher! Why is that? lol)

A local Photographer that always amazed me is/was Jack Leigh (passed in 2004). His black and white coastal work is amazing (South Carolina/Georgia) .

His best known shot was used on the cover of the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's called "The Bird Girl". Local college; Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) had an exhibit of Jack Leigh's work a few years ago and one display was what was done in post to the Bird Girl step by step, pretty cool.  Amazing work. Long before digital, all work done with film.....

image.png.801b8a232b8642c188c4fcbacca2bfc5.png

13 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

I guess you don't like Diane Arbus and Cindy Sherman either :)

I do like Diane, her work is quite varied and can be seriously creative. Haven't seen much of Cindy Sherman.

With Bruce, I like his early black and white work, just not his current obsession with poking a camera and a flash into someone's face.

My street spirit animal is Daido.