Anna Shutterstock

Location Field Coming to Vectors, Illustration and Videos

In the coming days, the location field you already know from photo submissions will start to become available for all asset types. This field remains optional, and if entered, it will be considered by reviewers as part of the review process. The location you enter will not display to customers at this time, but will be used for creating localized search features for customers in the future.This field will be rolled out slowly to all contributors, so don’t worry if you don’t see it right away on your Submit page.

Should you want to take advantage of this field for your content submissions, the same general guidelines apply as before, when this feature was launched for photos:

1. Visual context: If you shoot the New York City skyline, the location would be New York, USA, even if the photo was taken from New Jersey.
  2. Metadata: If you enter the location to be Paris, France, be sure not to include other European cities like Barcelona, Rome, Copenhagen in your metadata.
  3. Property Release: If you opt to provide the location of the content and the property release shows Alexandria, Egypt, the location cannot be Cairo, Egypt.

Again, location is part of the review process, so please be sure that the location does not contradict any of the above guidelines.

We’ve partnered with Google to auto-complete locations based on the text entered. Specific building names and specific addresses are not supported. You can choose from listed entries in English only, free text entry is not supported. Be as specific as you can, selecting down to the region, town or even neighborhood, if one populates.

As always, thanks for being a part of our contributor community and we look forward to your next submission!

Thanks @Studio 2 !

We are absolutely looking into opening up the Location field to your previously-approved content. By starting with new content only, we can be sure to work out any kinks before we suggest that folks go back to edit their whole portfolio (or a part of it).

We're also working to enable the location field on the native apps, and to leverage any location data that might be in the latitude / longitude fields of your content's EXIF data. 

Lots to do!!

21 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

We're also working to enable the location field on the native apps,

Thats great news. If we already speak about the app do you know if there will be the possibility in future also to tag videos or upload with videos with the app?

Thank you. 

Morning @Studio 2 (cc. @Deni Williams)

I see what you mean. My older images with location are displaying as expected when I view the Edit page from the catalog(ue) manager. However, as you said, my recently approved images that have location are showing a blank field. 

Fortunately, the data is not lost. I can see it in our internal tools. I'll file a bug report and we'll see if we can get that repaired in the next few days.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

Thanks @1000 Words Photos,

I can't say too much - but we have plans to make it easier to submit videos, and native apps is on the list. Thanks for your patience :)

Kate

Thanks a lot Kate :).

The contributor experience is getting better and better. Thanks for all the work.

Maybe some of the below tips can help (maybe already in plan?)

- Keywords automatic added to the image based on the description and location field. No need to double enter them ;).
- Editorial captions automatically created based on the location field and exif data in the file for the date.
- Keyword suggestion tool in the native app.

Thank you.

Mirco. 

11 hours ago, MUHAMMAD960 said:

Why are you boasting about trying to sell what seem to be other people’s work? Is it really something you’re proud of or are you just taunting Shutterstock’s apparently ineffective AI?

@Kate Shutterstock or @someoneShutterstock, perhaps you could investigate this and also look at why the AI didn’t spot it.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:
  1. Visual context: If you shoot the New York City skyline, the location would be New York, USA, even if the photo was taken from New Jersey.
  2. Metadata: If you enter the location to be Paris, France, be sure not to include other European cities like Barcelona, Rome, Copenhagen in your metadata.

For clarification, using your example: If I were to shot an image of a Jersey landmark in the foreground and the NYC skyline in the background (assuming such a shot would be possible - no idea, never been there), I obviously would want both NYC and Jersey in the keywords. Then what of the location field? Just leave it blank? Pick and choose?

Seems like an interesting development. I'm definitely adding locations to newly uploaded videos. 

As some others suggested, would it be possible in the future to take data from the description fields automatically and add that to the location? When older clips will also get the availability to add a location, manually adjusting an entire portfolio seems a bit daunting. 

Looking forward to see how these changes play out though, thank you!

Interesting bit of information I just stumbled upon. The location field does not only allow names of cities but also names of mountains (and I assume other features of nature, if they are prominent enough). So if you have footage of Mount Everest you can use that in your location field instead of searching for the nearest village.

Sadly I only realised that AFTER submitting some footage of a mountain with the nearest village as location... *sigh*