Why are my EPS files so small?

Help! I've submitted many vectors over the years but haven't done much the last couple years. My goal this year is to submit at least 15 vectors a month but I am having a problem when saving. I start with an artbox at 3000 x 3000 pixels enough to get the 4mp requirement but when I save it at the recommended settings from the shutterstock guideline page it reduces it to around 400 KB. What am I doing wrong?  

6 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Jenn - stange problem when you are an experienced vector contributor! What are Shutterstock’s requirements (besides the file size)? What is the rejection reason?

as I said I haven't contributed in a couple years. I just don't remember the settings I used to use. I think I have it figured out. Now I am remembering why I stayed away for so long...because of unhelpful comments like this.

Hi Jenn.

Please follow the instructions in the exact order. If you do it out of order it will most likely give you trouble.

When done correctly it is definitely a large file but that's the way it has to be for now. I don't make the rules. 🙂

Go to doc set up and change your measurements to pixels.

Select your artwork first. Never mind your art board size for now. That has to be the last part.

Once you select your image you created, go and select the Transform box out of the menu up top. Its under windows.

Enlarge it to about 3000px or what ever number you have to have.

Now you can enlarge your artboard. Also located in your doc set up. Same process. Make it a bit larger then your artwork leaving a small space around it.

Save like always.

It should work. 🙂👍

Tip: If feeling frazzled, take a break.

When working on this don't panic and breath. 🍹

One step at a time.

You will get this like many people here. Just be patient. 😊

As for me I have one particular Illustration that I will have to submit here at a later time because it would be too hard on my computer. I will save that and upload when I get a more powerful computer. To bad for SS. 🤷

Simple vectors will be smaller.  By simple I’m not  meaning any insult,  some of the best vectors are simple, but if you don’t have any blends, transparencies, opacities, gradients etc your file  Megabytes will be small.  I think  as long as you have the required Megapixels you should be OK.  However I haven’t submitted any vectors since the new rules were in place, so I could be mistaken.  Without seeing the file it is hard to give you any conclusive advice.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, Jenn Huls said:

Help! I've submitted many vectors over the years but haven't done much the last couple years. My goal this year is to submit at least 15 vectors a month but I am having a problem when saving. I start with an artbox at 3000 x 3000 pixels enough to get the 4mp requirement but when I save it at the recommended settings from the shutterstock guideline page it reduces it to around 400 KB. What am I doing wrong?  

I have the same issue.. here... It can´t be. I have all...transperency, gradients... my .eps file its about 20mb... I tried k_t_graphics advices.. but it´s too much... I don´t get it....  I could upload my pack of friendly animals as .JPG.. but we all know it´s not the same... the file has labeled layers... What am i doing wrong?... is it my bad?... anyways... I also don´t know a way the see for my self if The size of my artwork (not the size of the artboard) is less than those 4mb... But I trully don´t think so... cause the file when save its a lot bigger...HELP PLS.

Bunny3.png

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:04 PM, Jenn Huls said:

Hello Jenn, not so sure that your issue has been answered. The simple answer is that the Shutter's restriction on vector WEIGHT is less than 100MB. So this is maximum weight. There is NO restriction on minimum WEIGHT. So your weight 400 KB is absolutely fine, taking into consideration that 3000x3000 pixel SIZE.