Mediocre photos which has sold AND great photos which hasn't

3 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

besides the crooked perspective (easy fix) the first one is the better picture. Sorry

Don't be sorry, apparently your idea is the most popular, given the performance of the two photos

It is a good thing then that I never decided to delete it¬†ūüėĀ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My biggest single sale at SS. Made with a tiny pity camera through the dirty plastic window of the visitor terrace.     A great photo. Sorry I cannot give example for mediocre, I

Would be interesting to share with two types of photos here: 1) The ones you view as mediocre (at best) and didn't expect anything, and yet they somehow got sold at least once 2) The ones yo

This keeps selling despite the drab, overcast sky.  I'm glad it does, but I have better. This has never sold despite its rich, vibrant colors and tack-sharp focus.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Marco Fine said:

Yes of course, I'm interested.
My idea on the first photo is that, in addition to the crooked lines, the colors are quite far from reality (too strong PP), and also the focus is rather soft, especially on the sides.
I think that this same image would not be accepted today by SS.

Not looking at the focus since I can't tell that from these images anyway, the first (crooked) one is better I think because of the composition and exposure. The horizon is in a much better place in the first one. There are also less distracting elements on the right side. Unlike you apparently, I think that the colors in the second one are not realistic.The colors are overcooked, the skies are all blown out and there is too much distraction going on on the left. It would also be hard to crop the second on on the left side because then you would cut the bridge in half and a bridge to nowhere doesn't look all that great.

just my opinion. Yours (and others) may vary

Great idea for a thread that encourages participation. Both images are from W√ľrzburg, Germany.

The first one is my cash cow by an obscene margin. There are some technical problems along with the facial expressions but it's significant in that it documents Muslim population in Germany, thus serving a purpose. They passed right by me after this so I was unable to get a better shot. Overall, I was very disappointed with the image and almost didn't upload it at all.  
2.jpg.32650dcb2aeed5c44dbcbedf1ee710cb.jpg

I had much higher hopes for this cityscape at blue hour from the Marienburg fortress. Just a few nickels and dimes. If you told me the first would pay for an iPad while the 2nd wouldn't cover an espresso, I'd have said you were nuts. 

3.jpg.6bf53896b4ac72987450807595ed89fd.jpg

14 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Not looking at the focus since I can't tell that from these images anyway, the first (crooked) one is better I think because of the composition and exposure. The horizon is in a much better place in the first one. There are also less distracting elements on the right side. Unlike you apparently, I think that the colors in the second one are not realistic.The colors are overcooked, the skies are all blown out and there is too much distraction going on on the left. It would also be hard to crop the second on on the left side because then you would cut the bridge in half and a bridge to nowhere doesn't look all that great.

just my opinion. Yours (and others) may vary

Thanks for the helpful and constructive review 

On 1/16/2020 at 6:57 PM, Marco Fine said:

Don't be sorry, apparently your idea is the most popular, given the performance of the two photos

It is a good thing then that I never decided to delete it¬†ūüėĀ

Yes, Marco, it's a good thing that you didn't delete the lesser liked (by you) first image. My "approach" is: never delete anything that works. Though I must admit I was tempted a couple of times, simply to "give room" to another photo (almost identical) that is better in my view, yet picked fewer times for some reason. If I may, I also agree with Rudy. The sky in your "preferred" version is perhaps too overpowering (for stock purposes) and "cooked" a bit. Not so easy to work with. Also, how the light hits the brick fort on the left. It seems more "inviting" and "alive" in the first photo. It stands out. Not so much in the second shot. My humble 2 cents. 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:23 PM, Sharkshock said:

Great idea for a thread that encourages participation. Both images are from W√ľrzburg, Germany.

The first one is my cash cow by an obscene margin. There are some technical problems along with the facial expressions but it's significant in that it documents Muslim population in Germany, thus serving a purpose. They passed right by me after this so I was unable to get a better shot. Overall, I was very disappointed with the image and almost didn't upload it at all.  
2.jpg.32650dcb2aeed5c44dbcbedf1ee710cb.jpg

I had much higher hopes for this cityscape at blue hour from the Marienburg fortress. Just a few nickels and dimes. If you told me the first would pay for an iPad while the 2nd wouldn't cover an espresso, I'd have said you were nuts. 

3.jpg.6bf53896b4ac72987450807595ed89fd.jpg

This shows once again how different valuations can be.
I do it exactly the other way round like you did with these two pictures.
The lower one is technically interesting, well done, a nice photo, no doubt. 
But the upper one (which you find much worse) is really good. Maybe not from a technical point of view, but from the history and the actuality. With life, blood and emotions, really good street photography, that tells a story. 
So I rate the upper photo much higher than the lower one. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)