hiv360

top images rating

It seems to have worked for one ore two days - but now it seems that the problem has returned... The picutres that I have sold during the last few days (maybe a week) do not move up but remain in the place they had been before 😞

8 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

@hiv360 @Heide Pinkall @GMMaria @sugar kang

I have posted about it at the end of this thread : link below. It would be great if anyone wanted to add a comment to mine on that thread. I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness as I don't think everyone has this problem or if they do it doesn't bother them. It is being ignored by Sstock 🙁

AND

"My 1st page of my portfolio in top images is almost exactly the same as my fresh content page - I have tried sorting this via the forum + PM + via emailing yourselves."

It looks like I am a guinea pig or the have same bug too as I am going in the same direction. But I wouldn't say I have no sales at all. So until the money drip, I don't mind. 

Though, to tell the true, not all my images are the 1st page perfect. So I am not very happy about it too.

It would be nice to have an option of prioritizing the 1st page manually. But I doubt it is implementable. 

14 hours ago, GMMaria said:

It looks like I am a guinea pig or the have same bug too as I am going in the same direction. But I wouldn't say I have no sales at all. So until the money drip, I don't mind. 

Though, to tell the true, not all my images are the 1st page perfect. So I am not very happy about it too.

It would be nice to have an option of prioritizing the 1st page manually. But I doubt it is implementable. 

I'm not sure what that page is supposed to do, they run the show and the website. I see new images go up towards the top. I can't assume I know what supposed to happen, because when they were called most popular, it wasn't. Well what is "most popular" what did it mean? If it was best selling, they weren't. If it was most downloads, that wasn't it.

Now we have Top Images, and we still don't know what is a top image. Only thing I can say for sure, is the name changed. 😉

I can say that a new upload that sold, jumped to the top of the page, which was interesting. Another one moved up a few spots, but was already on the front page. My first of my top 10, just as an example, one that just sold, is on page 1, next doesn't show until page 3, and that's two of them, then one on page 4.

If I look for recent downloads, (with the exception of the two that were already on page one and the best seller that shows on page 1) they aren't until page 3.

So unless SS tells us what the page is supposed to do and what it's supposed to show, we can't say it's broken? All someone would need to do would be tell us all what Top Images actually means? If it's identical to Most Popular, nothing changed, we don't know and the pages are pretty much a mystery. New images go to the top, then some that have had sales, but not most money or best sellers, or most recent sales. 😮

If we could optimize the first page, there would need to be a new button that was "Artists Top Picks" Like we can do on FAA where we're doing the marketing, but no other stock site that I know of, lets us change the order of what shows to buyers on our personal page. Maybe some do?

On 1/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, Kate Shutterstock said:

Thanks for your patience!

My colleagues have assured me they're working on this and we'll see a fix soon that will more consistently re-order your portfolio based on recent downloads. I'll keep you posted. 

That would be interesting and I'm sure welcome.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

I can say that a new upload that sold, jumped to the top of the page, which was interesting

NO. Not for me.This is the problem. They are sold but they don't move at all. They sit on the same exact positions as they were uploaded. 

25 minutes ago, GMMaria said:

NO. Not for me.This is the problem. They are sold but they don't move at all. They sit on the same exact positions as they were uploaded. 

same here.
There's no big difference between first page of "top images" and "fresh images".
So, what should "top images" be good for?
And... no, it's not because the page might have been loaded out of the cache. I asked a friend that has never visited my Shutterstock portfolio before - and the order of images on his phone was exactly the same as on my phone.

2 hours ago, Heide Pinkall said:

same here.
There's no big difference between first page of "top images" and "fresh images".
So, what should "top images" be good for?
And... no, it's not because the page might have been loaded out of the cache. I asked a friend that has never visited my Shutterstock portfolio before - and the order of images on his phone was exactly the same as on my phone.

Yes, there is a perceived problem, but we don't know what their intentions actually are?

2 hours ago, GMMaria said:

Only that one and one other have moved up, they were on the first page already. Other sales, from deeper pages, have remained so far down, I don't know where they are when looking at Top Images. I also don't know where they were, so finding them wouldn't mean much.

I'll try to be brief (you know how hard that is for me?)  😄

We don't know what it's supposed to do, or what's supposed to be displayed, only what we assume a working Top Images sort should show. I see nothing different from whatever years it used to be Most Popular and had the same unknown activity. The Top Images can't be broken, if it's actually doing what the programmers intended it to do, no matter what we think it should do?

On 3/2/2020 at 11:04 PM, Heide Pinkall said:

Great point Heide!!! 

For me there is also movement, but the pictures that move up are random ones that usually have not sold at all, while images that sell - even images that sell hours after being approved, which used to lead to the images rising in rank almost instantly in the past - do not move up at all.
I suppose that, since it's not being 'fixed' it's not a glitch, but a change in algorithm and Shutterstock now sorts the images according to different criteria than before. Possibly views now count more than actual sales, which does not seem logical to me, because even if an image has been viewed a hundret times but not sold once, that should mean that the image was not relevant to buyers after all. But Shutterstock does what Shutterstock wants, no matter whether we see any logic in it.

I reported this problem week or two ago but the reply was more less informative, apparently SS know about it, here is the reply:

Thank you for mailing us about this, this has been reported and mentioned by a few contributors recently.

The most popular in the catalogue manager is really showing a reflection of top images in searches but doesn't seem to update often.

It's never been a reliable indicator for me since I my portfolio went over a certain size and most of most of my best sellers are all over the place.

The order in your portfolio here is a better reflection of an aggregate popularity that incudes recent sales and searches amongst many other factors.

The actual search order of your images on the user site changes constantly

Thank you for your reply, I don't see it as too much of problem, just noticing it for few weeks and was wondering if it's something temporary or it it 's permanent change. I'm ok to manage my images myself, thank you for your offer.

The portfolio side and the related catalogue manager features are being upgraded and having new features added constantly since the last big update. I'd expect the way images display and the way you can arrange them to added to and improved in the future. It's worth looking on the user forum announcements from time to time.

1 hour ago, lennystan said:

I'd expect the way images display and the way you can arrange them to added to and improved in the future. It's worth looking on the user forum announcements from time to time.

This sounds as if our personal portfolios are not important anymore. Sad.