Brian Kapp

Noisy question

1 hour ago, Ackab Photography said:

Interesting. Why is it annoying?

If I am not mistaken (I used to use it a long time ago) you need to set up a profile for pretty much every camera (and lens?). I also recall it was pretty aggressive and you had to keep going back and forth to find a reasonable balance between noise and plastic! It's probably better now.

If anyone is interested I use Topaz DeNoise on pretty much every studio shot I take. Shadow noise is a fact of life on FF Nikons the way I shoot so I love it. Raw Medium settings work like a charm every time.

6 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Interesting. Why is it annoying?

As Foodio has already written, defining the profile is a little tedious. 
Since I use the program only rarely (only with real noises) the routine is missing. In order for the program to work well, you have to find areas with "clean noise", which really only works well manually. And that's a bit annoying. Because there are fewer places on an image than you might think. So this can take some time. 
But I've already saved some of overly noisy photos.  
When using a Sony with the shaking function (I don't know if other cameras also have this function) and later processing with neatimage, photos in really dark conditions with very little light are also possible without Tripod (doesn't always work, but often). Of course there shouldn't be too much movement in the picture. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

@Foodio @geogif Thank you guys. 

What I do for high iso shots is to use Capture One on raws and just slide the Luminance to 100%. It works amazingly well by virtually elimiminating noise with no plastic feel at all. I find that Capture one sliders are very good at raising the various settings (saturation, structure, noise reduction etc...) without never letting you to go overboard, as Lightroom and PS do. Always nice to have some software alternatives around though. I have been playing with Topaz for a long time, however the general feel with the various effects is that tons on noise and artifacts will be introduced if you push it a bit. For Topaz denoise I have a reminiscence of "plastic", however I have not used it for a long time now, maybe it got better.

The only real problem with Capture One is the insane price, it is otherwise my very favorite raw developer out there delivering results that are superior and more interesting out of the box with respect to camera raw.

13 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

What I do for high iso shots is to use Capture One on raws and just slide the Luminance to 100%.

I switched to capture one after my free PS/LR subscription expired. 
And I didn't regret it, the work is faster and better than with LR. 
Instead of PS I now use Affinity, more than enough for my purposes. 

But back to the noise:
It was a really dark night and the ship was continuously moving. Since I was forced to use the shaking function for the night photos on the ship because of the movement, no RAW file was created. And with Capture one I didn't manage it enough, with neatimage it was enough.