Sign in to follow this  
James R Poston

No Bickering! Yayyyyy

1 hour ago, Aaron Lemay said:

I am just on here to throw photos up and see where it lands. If there are issues with my photos I will look into them and work on them when I have time. I know there are some very very outdated which they are about years back. When I started this account. Which were on a old Sony pocket camera lol. I'll probably delete those and upload them again with better information lol. 

Why not deal with the numerous issues with your snapshots BEFORE uploading them and spamming Shutterstock. It really isn’t necessary to upload everything you take, maybe you could spend some time learning about composition and selecting your best work instead of just bragging on the forum constantly. If everyone followed your example there would be a hundredfold increase in dodgy snapshot nonsense on Shutterstock. 

8 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Only because there are some looking (hoping?) to be provoked.

I use a number of boards and forums commensurate with my different interests and this one is by far the most fractious which is a shame because there is a ton of really useful stuff in between the bickering.

The easy way to avoid the bickering is simply to not rise to the bait. Just let the 'provocative' comment or post hang there without response.

Exactly 👍

Interesting, @Phil Lowe makes a point about being careful with a topic, and bickering among others about the topic follows. What happened to no bickering (the topic of this thread)?

5 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

SS is constantly telling us they want authentic models, not Photoshopped Barbie and Ken dolls.  She is lovely.  I wish her much success.

That's right. Plus size models are in high demand right now. Many agencies want authenticity. I edit the eyes a little but let my light do all the work.

5 hours ago, Brady Barrineau said:

I removed her photo because

You should never have posted it on an open forum in the first place. You exposed he to public scrutiny and comment when it was totally necessary, not for her edification but rather for your self-approbation.

21 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I hope that more members of the forum won't be put off and leave because of the latest set of tirades by Rent-a-Rant. Bullying continues here and standing up to it individually (or ignoring it) seems the only way to counteract it. There is a lot of useful information given to new contributors on this forum and to be told that your port size should disallow you from helping others is nonsense. The person who says this has never helped anyone. The forum is meant to be for mutual support. 

100% agree

Everyone here has the right to post help and advice.  Size of port or length of time they have been contributing is irrelevant.

It is the choice of the reader whether or not to take that advice.

6 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

...and making sure the metadata is rock solid.

Yes, metadata is as important as the image itself - no question! 

But when I take a look, what the translation software "creates", I am always shocked. A lot of those keywords have got nothing to do with the image. If customers don't search in English, they might be desperate sometimes.

Just one example:

Keywords.jpg

11 hours ago, Grossinger said:

It's always the people with tiny, itty bitty, cute little, microscopic piddly little ports that start the bickering.
I post an irrefutable truth and here comes the little people with pitchforks and rakes.

Stepping in now against my better judgment..

’Tiny, tiny, piddly ports’ insults should be off the table forever. Why ?

Because you should have mentioned this to the guy you congratulated with his big earnings whilst he had a ‘tiny, tiny, piddly port’ under 1000 images.. This was the moment where I thought it would be a mind changer for you and you would realise that the piddly port remarks should be off the table.... But you continued in other threads.... So, that’s when I realised your mindset changes when you see $ signs.... I just wish you would have said something to the guy about his piddly port, or that you at least would have mentioned something about you changing your mind about little ports..At least you would have been consistent.

You say you will become succesful by surrounding yourself with succesful people. That is indeed a good strategy, also in real life. But in real life, succesful and wealthy business people will only surround themselves by people they trust. Not people that change their whole attide as soon as the boss walks in. And you told everyone what you think about ‘tiny, piddly ports’ and we were not allowed to post on the forum. Then you congratulated the guy with his piddly port without saying anything - that was being dishonest in my eyes. You lost me there. And I was NOT expecting that from you, because you have stuck to your principle for months, and you always say what you think. 

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Yes, metadata is as important as the image itself - no question! 

But when I take a look, what the translation software "creates", I am always shocked. A lot of those keywords have got nothing to do with the image. If customers don't search in English, they might be desperate sometimes.

You're right.  I have said several times on this forum that non-native English speakers are at a huge disadvantage and it will take much more effort for them to ensure good metadata.

8 hours ago, cpaulfell said:

You should never have posted it on an open forum in the first place. You exposed he to public scrutiny and comment when it was totally necessary, not for her edification but rather for your self-approbation.

Yep

4 hours ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

I will now... Got trigged by the amnesia remark.. And responding makes me feel bad too. 

Nah, admit it, you love to tell people off.
It makes you feel good and fulfilled.

Parade?  Did someone say parade?  Here's my 4K veterans day parade in Orlando that I shot for a camera test. I haven't decided if any of the shots would be worthwhile to submit.  Maybe the 120 fps slo-mo in the second half?  I guess I might as well throw some of it on SS and see what happens.

25 minutes ago, Aaron Lemay said:

@Grossinger what is this TOS and posting earnings is against the forums which could lead me to getting banned from SS? I believe talking about it and showing it off gives promise to that that are trying to engage onto this platform. But if there is a link about this please share. Oh also I am in Chicago right now for the tommorow Thanksgiving parade this is always heavily covered. But I will be paid directly. The center stage performers will have a contract tied to the photos. But the rest of the parade I can sell on here and publicly off my website.

Terms of Use for Shutterstock Forums

1. While the administrators and moderators of the forums made available to Shutterstock Contributors monitor many of the messages posted, it is impossible to review every message. Shutterstock will take reasonable steps to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible after receipt of written notice of the presence of such material, if Shutterstock determines that such material is unsuitable for the forums.
  2. You acknowledge that all posts made to the Shutterstock forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the views of Shutterstock, its officers, directors or employees or of any administrators, moderators or the webmaster (except for posts by those people). Neither Shutterstock, the webmaster nor any of the forum administrators will be liable, under any circumstances, for the content of any messages posted in the forum by other parties.
  3. You agree not to post any material that is abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or that may violate any applicable laws. Violating these terms of use shall be deemed a material breach of the TOS and may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned from the forums and your service provider being informed. Shutterstock may also terminate your Contributor Account. The IP addresses of the computers associated with all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.
  4. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time in the exercise of their discretion.
  5. As a forum user you agree that the personal information provided by you may be stored in a database maintained on servers owned and/or controlled by Shutterstock.
  6. Shutterstock's forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the personal information you provided to Shutterstock - they are used only to improve your viewing experience.
  7. You shall defend, indemnify and hold Shutterstock harmless from and against any loss, damage, liability, claim, demand, action, cost and expense (including reasonable attorneys' fees and costs) resulting from claims made against Shutterstock by any third party, including any governmental agency, which arises out of or in connection with your use of the Shutterstock forums.
    https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/000008826

28 minutes ago, Aaron Lemay said:

@Grossinger what is this TOS and posting earnings is against the forums which could lead me to getting banned from SS? I believe talking about it and showing it off gives promise to that that are trying to engage onto this platform. But if there is a link about this please share. Oh also I am in Chicago right now for the tommorow Thanksgiving parade this is always heavily covered. But I will be paid directly. The center stage performers will have a contract tied to the photos. But the rest of the parade I can sell on here and publicly off my website.

I'm of the opinion that no matter how heavily a subject may be covered there is lots of sales potential in the videos and images.
The more popular the event the better.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving

17 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

What is your website URL? I am really curious.

I'd like to see it also. I want to know what standards pertaining to my model I wasn't following? Like photoshopping out so called defects that many agencies are asking to be left in - even in Los Angeles and NY - there is a massive market for that. But I want to see what a Sony camera and some Rotolights can do - Sony - Rotolight...Sounds like a JL photowalk.

I need to clarify once again my celestial bodies in my port. Someone never completed the second grade. I do not 'download' these images from NASA as Minion keeps saying nor did I steal any NASA images. I have go over this again because new contributors are curious and I cannot let them read someone's words who has NO clue. 

NASA texture maps are public domain - in fact NASA's entire image library is public domain. They are all free. How do you use them? You can download NASA images to use in a unique illustration but you cannot just download and resell the original. How do I use the texture maps? I download the diffuse, displacement, cavity, AO - all these are very high resolution and able to be rendered near photo realistic. I use Maya/Arnold 5 to map my texture maps onto a sphere primitive and render with lighting. Please do not pay attention to this guy who spouts off BS like image theft, downloading originals and selling them...he has no clue.

aaamoon.jpg

12 hours ago, Aaron Lemay said:

Great video! And God bless your heart for doing all that. And I have to be honest. I apologize: https://dougjensen.com/ 

You have me beat. Far from where I stand I have 4 cameras and a laptop. You have a ton of high end equipment and you also have your own workshop. That is is so awesome. When I make my way towards you I have to come and check out out of your sessions. You have a lot of educational books and videos. I also see you been to a lot bigger events. Yeah my junk change will never amount to what you make in a month or in a year! You have your own production studio and been doing video production 30+ years. Freaking awesome! But it is good to see another Sony brother out there. A question, are you planning to get into Red cameras? I know they are a lot but people are getting into 6k video production. Anyways I will watch my tone with you now at least I know I am in the presence of hardcore producer. Great choice of life! Carry on Sir 😃😃😎

Thank you for the compliments.

No, I am not interested in Red cameras.  I'm completely happy in the Sony ecosystem and have no reason to change.  The Sony cameras offer a lot of features and functions that other brands can't touch.  Plus, my next camera is most likely going be a Sony 2/3" ENG camera such as the PXW-Z750, and no other manufacturer has anything to compete against that.  I did get a HERO8 yesterday, though, so I'm not 100% Sony.

21 minutes ago, Aaron Lemay said:

Either way good to know you are another brother of Sony. Been seeing more and more of the family growing. Since now Canon and Nikon are having issues. Heard Nikon is going under slowly and Canon is trying to bring back DSLR. Sony is killing it in all fields right now.

I had a VERY bad experience with Sony customer service some time ago and, since then, have steered clear of their products.

20 hours ago, Aaron Lemay said:

My website won't help what you are looking for it is mostly all sports photos which I cover the most of. 

Umm. Are you for real? 

I am sorry but I have to say this, you have all the trappings of a fake account. Lots of excuses. Come out of nowhere and take over all the threads. Upload a whole lot of similars and snapshots. Lots of boasting. Neither a newbie nor a professional photographer. (A pro photographer would neither have so many images with such bad exposure problems nor be willing to upload them.)

So, I am guessing you're another spoof account. Am I right?