Sign in to follow this  
James R Poston

No Bickering! Yayyyyy

31 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Yep, someone always has to attack the other guy because they didn't like what he said. Then it spirals down from there.

Doug I disagree on your take about the bickering origin. I think the obsessive omnipresent repetition of this port size argument easily becomes boring, does not help any discussion to develop in an healthy and constructive way, and can be understandably irritating for some people who can feel targeted (for as true or false this may be). There is obviously so much more than port size, sharp focus, and great exposure (all important indeed) in stock photography, you surely know it and your amazing portfolio is living proof of that. It looks like any discussion that tries to explore beyond this is stunted and ends up in an endless low level and, shall I say, piddly, bickering. To me, this is sad. I hope SS can find a way to promote a more interesting and constructive interaction among users, as this forum can indeed be, and often is, a unique and amazing resource.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Imagine you are a shareholder. And you would have to make a decision about which company you would like to invest in next.

Then it would be your decision to orient yourself exclusively to the size of the company. My decision would be to be guided by earnings and sales.

A company with 10,000 employees is interesting at first glance because it is a large company. But if it only generates sales of $1 million with these 10,000 employees, that would be a blatant misinvestment.
If there was a company with 20 employees - making $2 millions, my decision would be clear. Because they seem to do everything right. I wouldn't ignore them.

However: I don't care if a contributor has 50 or 500,000 images. I'm only interested in that one question: How much effort is needed to earn how much money? Like Doug. If someone with a smaller portfolio or a portfolio of the same size makes more money than me, he/she makes something much better than me. From this contributor I can learn a lot. And that doesn't automatically have anything to do with niches. Selling an image several thousand times, although there are 1,200,000 results, has nothing to do with "niche". The contributor I'm talking about offers brilliant quality. No crooked horizon, excellent lighting, high aesthetic photography, high demand themes. That's it. That's quality.

I can learn from everybody, who is successful - not matter what portfolio size. And I try do do so. Learning works best without prejudices and with open eyes. But everybody has to decide for himself.

The optimum would be a large portfolio with high quality and "stocky" pictures. They exist. But it's a very long way.

A flower can be sold thousands of times, a cat, a tree, a landscape or a christmas background. To reach this an images is needed that is far above the average. It must have more "aesthetic quality". That's it.

You don't have to pay attention to this post by the way, because I have less than 5,000 images. And the one example I was picking out, has the same piddly amount of images.

Your patience and cool temper is admirable. Great post.

7 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Starting this thread was a big mistake, it was a provocation for bickering.

Only because there are some looking (hoping?) to be provoked.

I use a number of boards and forums commensurate with my different interests and this one is by far the most fractious which is a shame because there is a ton of really useful stuff in between the bickering.

The easy way to avoid the bickering is simply to not rise to the bait. Just let the 'provocative' comment or post hang there without response.

55 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

The only problem with some of those Youtubers, Aaron, is some of them don't really earn that much.

Yes, Annie!

There were a lot of links to those youtube advisers in this forum. Most of them didn't have much to show for it.

But the last link I clicked was interesting.

The lady asked - concerning several images - if there were more pictures that would sell more often - the left one or the right one. My hit rate was 100%. It was like winning a quiz.

15 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Just let the 'provocative' comment or post hang there without response.

There is a precise and well known technical wording for this concept, on which I agree 100%:

"Don't feed the troll"

13 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Yes, Annie!

There were a lot of links to those youtube advisers in this forum. Most of them didn't have much to show for it.

But the last link I clicked was interesting.

The lady asked - concerning several images - if there were more pictures that would sell more often - the left one or the right one. My hit rate was 100%. It was like winning a quiz.

Yeah, found this video very interesting too. The most sold was rarely the most beautiful. It was always the more broadly useful, or the more unique. Great lesson.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

Have you turned a new leaf then? Think you called someone an a-hole here:

Nope.  Some people are still a-holes and I'll call 'em as I see 'em. Has nothing to do with this thread, though, but thanks for bringing it up anyway.

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

Starting this thread was a big mistake, it was a provocation for bickering.

It's always the people with tiny, itty bitty, cute little, microscopic piddly little ports that start the bickering.
I post an irrefutable truth and here comes the little people with pitchforks and rakes.

31 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Nope.  Some people are still a-holes and I'll call 'em as I see 'em. Has nothing to do with this thread, though, but thanks for bringing it up anyway.

Great, so you understand that we all have the right to call 'em as we see 'em too. If we see the obvious and intentional hostility where you claim you don't then perhaps that's because the comments are not directed at you. Or perhaps you have other reasons for playing the apologist?

25 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

It's always the people with tiny, itty bitty, cute little, microscopic piddly little ports that start the bickering.
I post an irrefutable truth and here comes the little people with pitchforks and rakes.

I must admit it MInion, you made me chuckle. 

12 minutes ago, Foodio said:

Great, so you understand that we all have the right to call 'em as we see 'em too. If we see the obvious and intentional hostility where you claim you don't then perhaps that's because the comments are not directed at you. Or perhaps you have other reasons for playing the apologist?

Now I remember why I don't come here much anymore.  Thanks for the reminder before I wasted time on this stupid childish bickering.  I thought maybe a civil conversation might be possible, but sadly it is not. People always want to make it personal if they don't like exactly what someone said or how they said it.   I have a folder with 327 4K files that desperately need some good metadata before I can submit them, so I think I'll focus on that instead.

3 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Untrue.

Here is some good advice, for example. And there is so much more that could be said to help newcomers.

Sorry Annie, last brag on you today. I promise.
Ackab clearly does not get it.
I called you out specifically because you have a huge, successful and very beautiful port.
You are exactly the kind of person I pay attention to.
Ackab don't get it.
Somehow he show's your post to prove me wrong. How?
Of course people should pay attention to your port, to your photography and to the subjects you chose.
Don't copy! Use them as an inspiration.
You don't see this kind of information in piddly little ports.
You don't even see this kind of beauty and class in larger ports.
So how does that negate anything I've written?
This is how arguments get started. People don't understand what they are reading.
@Aaron Lemaytakes issue with the fact that very specific arcane subjects are not searched for so he uses his parade images to prove me wrong.
Since when is a parade a very specific arcane subject? Explain that.
How is it being hostile when I say I don't pay attention to people with small ports?
Hmmm?
Are you being hostile when you don't listen to a plumber telling you how to cure your heart condition?
The problem with a lot of you is that you are looking for a butt hurt before you even start to read. You don't read and comprehend very well.
One person here with an insignificant 159 images in his port is telling me I'm wrong.
What? Is that joke?
People don't read and then walk away with a massive butt hurt and immediately fire of a hate filled post.
I make no apologies for for what I wrote it's the truth.
NOBODY as actually been able to FACTUALLY take issue with what I wrote.
Others think I'm attacking newbies because I don't respect tiny ports. Not at all. I'm a newbie and I  had a tiny port for a few weeks.
I'm talking about the massive posters that are on the forum day in, day out, pontificating away on subjects they clearly know nothing about.
People with small ports that have been SS contributors for years.
It's not their ports I'm taking issue with, it's their posts! Read my thread here from the beginning.
Stupid advice given by people who clearly don't know squat about stock who don't sell many images and just talk, talk, talk.
People who don't understand the difference between a parade and a tiny, very specific and arcane subject.
Well, OK I'm done with this subject, you are now free to misquote, misapply and use this as an opportunity to brag about your great photography.
It's all a huge waste of time.

19 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

One person here with an insignificant 159 images in his port is telling me I'm wrong.
What? Is that joke?

That's me I take it? Insignificant? I have a full time job, photography is a hobby for me. If I can make some money doing something I enjoy in my spare time, then that's fine with me. I've been doing this 6 months and get a lot of joy and some success out of it. We all have different goals and positions in our photography journey.

You do give some good advice, but I was calling out the constant belittling and trolling of anyone with smaller ports or those just starting out. It can make this community seem unwelcoming to newcomers if all they see is posts saying that their opinion doesn't matter unless they have 5000+ images. I haven't posted any hate filled posts, just calling out the constant bullying and trolling of smaller portfolios that I'm surprised that the forum owners (SS) let you get away with. 

2 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

That's me I take it? Insignificant? I have a full time job, photography is a hobby for me. If I can make some money doing something I enjoy in my spare time, then that's fine with me. I've been doing this 6 months and get a lot of joy and some success out of it. We all have different goals and positions in our photography journey.

You do give some good advice, but I was calling out the constant belittling and trolling of anyone with smaller ports or those just starting out. It can make this community seem unwelcoming to newcomers if all they see is posts saying that their opinion doesn't matter unless they have 5000+ images. I haven't posted any hate filled posts, just calling out the constant bullying and trolling of smaller portfolios that I'm surprised that the mods put up with. 

See, you still don't get it because you don't read what I write.
I don't take issue with small ports. I take issue with people who have small ports posting advice and criticism all day long, day in day out clearly not know what they are talking about. Get it?
I don't take issue with newbies. Not at all. I'm one myself.
Your excuse of having a job is just that, an excuse for a small port. Add to it at your leisure. no problem, but but don't go around pontificating about stock photography.
And by the way, @1000 Words Images has a HUGE port, really big. He also has two kids a wife and a job.
So it's best to tell the truth that you are not all that crazy about adding to your port. I can relate.
Don't go around posting about stock photography. What do you know about that?

8 minutes ago, Aaron Lemay said:

It is ok, getting into deep conversations is good learning. I am not here to tare into people about their ports but we all don't know what people want in this world. Even two fair photos were downloaded today and they are again from across seas. When they are subject about a cities fair. Don't know why but whatever. At least they sell

Yeah, that's what it's all about to me. Selling images.
The rest is just poppycock.
I agree here.
I just sold an image of a flower I posted a couple of days ago.
What's unusual about that?
Experts on this forum will constantly tell people that flowers don't sell. The market is over saturated and full.
I sell flower shots all the time.
It also goes against what I post about sometimes. That there is a time delay built in from the time you upload to the time an image sells.
This picture clearly goes against that but it's the exception that proves the rule. Newbies should keep this in mind because all of their (mine) images are fairly new and it does take time to build up a sales momentum.

4 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

posting advice and criticism all day long

I would suggest you learn the basics of lighting whether it's studio strobes or constant LED set up. What you're obviously doing is just taking photos inside with whatever ambient light is available, this is not professional in any way. Any professional here with two brain cells will tell you this.

1 minute ago, Brady Barrineau said:

I would suggest you learn the basics of lighting whether it's studio strobes or constant LED set up. What you're obviously doing is just taking photos inside with whatever ambient light is available, this is not professional in any way. Any professional here with two brain cells will tell you this.

Please repost this to me when you get about 5000 images in your port. Right now you don't even show up on my radar.
Your constant sniping just proves your immaturity.
Good luck!

Just now, Grossinger said:

Please repost this to me when you get about 5000 images in your port. Right now you don't even show up on my radar.
Your constant sniping just proves your immaturity.
Good luck!

That's fine. Get yourself a basic studio lighting kit from B&H. Learn how to light. So many of your images have glaring exposure issues and why they get accepted this way is a mystery to many here, and no it's not that Shutterstock has all of the sudden discovered that underexposed poorly done photographs outsell pro level work. It's really unbelievable. 

3 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

See, you still don't get it because you don't read what I write.
I don't take issue with small ports. I take issue with people who have small ports posting advice and criticism all day long, day in day out clearly not know what they are talking about. Get it?
I don't take issue with newbies. Not at all. I'm one myself.
Your excuse of having a job is just that, an excuse for a small port. Add to it at your leisure. no problem, but but don't go around pontificating about stock photography.
And by the way, @1000 Words Images has a HUGE port, really big. He also has two kids a wife and a job.
So it's best to tell the truth that you are not all that crazy about adding to your port. I can relate.
Don't go around posting about stock photography. What do you know about that?

Please don't tell me I'm not allowed to post about stock photography. What gives you the right to tell anyone that?

I am keen on adding photos to my port, but I'm not just going to add any old rubbish just to get my portfolio to a high number of photos that more than likely won't sell. Yes someone might have a HUGE port plus a wife, 2 kids and a job... but from behind your keyboard, you have no idea what other contributors have going on in their lives that may mean that they can't always go out shooting. 

3 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

I am keen on adding photos to my port, but I'm not just going to add any old rubbish just to get my portfolio to a high number of photos

Post whatever you wish whenever you wish. I know two stock photographers who make over $2,500 USD per month with Shutterstock and another agency - they have less than 3,000 images...There are many, many like this. But their work is really good high quality commercial work - and they rarely travel far UNLESS they're getting paid to do so. YouTube lady talked about this a lot and she's right.

3 minutes ago, Brady Barrineau said:

Post whatever you wish whenever you wish. I know two stock photographers who make over $2,500 USD per month with Shutterstock and another agency - they have less than 3,000 images...There are many, many like this. But their work is really good high quality commercial work - and they rarely travel far UNLESS they're getting paid to do so. YouTube lady talked about this a lot and she's right.

Thanks. My works not of that high quality yet but I'm still learning. I've watched a lot of her videos and learnt a fair bit from her.

1 hour ago, Travers Lewis said:

Please don't tell me I'm not allowed to post about stock photography. What gives you the right to tell anyone that?

You can post all you want, I'm not going to read any of them. OK?