2 minutes ago, James R Poston said:

It doesn't really matter to me how the review process goes (with human and AI reviewers). I like the fact that they are done faster than ever and since I don't upload 100's at a time I get very few rejects. It gives them a chance of being seen faster.

Agree, but why they don't enplane it? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are many good reasons for this. Some of them depend on the time of day.  If, for example, the reviewers had the wrong chocolate coating for breakfast, the rejection rate rises rapidly. It ca

Love to see how a human managed to scrutinise 20 images in under 5 seconds...  Or 45 images in 15 seconds. Even if all 20 images went to different people and they all started the second it was se

Considering the number of images and particularly video clips I see being rejected for invalid reasons recently, I'd say they are using AI to inspect too.  I'm not a newbie.  I've been doing this sinc

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

for now at least. In a little while it will check legal issues better than humans do. Just a matter of training.

And just why couldn't it "check" for "legal" issues? If it can check for noise and sharpness/focus, artifacts, etc...? Anything resembling a logo, a sign, writing, graffiti ... an instant reject! Pretty simple to me. And if the contributor feels strongly about it that it was an oversight, he/she will resubmit. Then it goes to a human! And please!! Anybody can state anything 15 thousand times! Like D  Trump that there was no collusion! if they say it so many times, it will become true?? I still don't believe for one second that humans review 30-40 photos from one contributor in seconds. But others believe what they want of course. We have freedom of thoughts and believes in democracies. 

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

It can still be an automated process where the system checks for similars before the content is available for the reviewer to see, and brings them up with the submission. They don't have time to start looking for something with the same subject, they'd never get any pics reviewed.

Just compare how long it takes for google to bring up similar images when you do a reverse image search - you click the search and it's there. The agencies can easily use a system similar to that, and when it's limited to your content they have on their servers (should be all content, so the image thieves wouldn't have such an easy time).

^

6 minutes ago, Istvan Balogh said:

And just why couldn't it "check" for "legal" issues? If it can check for noise and sharpness/focus, artifacts, etc...? Anything resembling a logo, a sign, writing, graffiti ... an instant reject! Pretty simple to me. And if the contributor feels strongly about it that it was an oversight, he/she will resubmit. Then it goes to a human! And please!! Anybody can state anything 15 thousand times! Like D  Trump that there was no collusion! if they say it so many times, it will become true?? I still don't believe for one second that humans review 30-40 photos from one contributor in seconds. But others believe what they want of course. We have freedom of thoughts and believes in democracies. 

This isn't what you believe. I am telling you that if you submit 40 photos, and it's pretty clear they are all of a specific scene, and after the first five it's pretty clear they all have issues, they may well all get rejected by the person reviewing them. 

And yes, our team is operating at light speed. 

and yes, we have a significant number of reviewers working all the time. 

1 hour ago, Aaron Lemay said:

Still doesn't better them in the end. The sun isn't always 90 degrees straight up to get great exposure. If I am even in 50 iso I would be laughing at their bias system for being built by idiots. 

Aaron, if you're having trouble getting images approved now, you would have NEVER made it here back when their standards were high.

Also, ideally the sun should be behind your back, not above you, for best pics. That's basic knowledge.

Also, if the system has worked for them so far, it's not built by idiots. Just because some pics get rejected doesn't mean it's not working. (I'd be glad to see the stricter reviews back, like in the "old days" - there, I said those bad horrible words people around here don't like - "old days"). Back then you left your ego at the door and learned to be BETTER.

1 hour ago, Aaron Lemay said:

Also I been trying to do a reserve image search I am not able to find my purchased photos. Is there another way you are able to find them?

Yes, if they credited you you can always do a search of your own name, for example: "credit: Aaron Lemay". You can do variations of that to see if there are additional results.

56 minutes ago, Jeff De said:

This isn't what you believe. I am telling you that if you submit 40 photos, and it's pretty clear they are all of a specific scene, and after the first five it's pretty clear they all have issues, they may well all get rejected by the person reviewing them. 

And yes, our team is operating at light speed. 

and yes, we have a significant number of reviewers working all the time. 

@Jeff De Jeff, what's boiling me p at the moment, is if I submit 4 photo/illustrations that take a long time to do, just because they contain a composite element that is the same they're rejected for being similar... even though the image is different in terms of layout, colour and has a different background. I literally hit submit and went to the main contributor homepage and they had been reviewed... and someone actually looked at them? properly?!? or did they just hit a button that automatically accepts everything that the system didn't think was similar without actually checking?

I looked through recently accepted images and see 10-20 similar images at a time... which to me is fine but others have 100's the same at a time but yet I submit 8 images and they decline nearly 50% for being similar even though there are 3 different subjects. Water.... baby.....bath... throwout are words that jump to mind at the moment.

I then submit a ticket for the case to be checked, explaining similars providing reference numbers etc and.... I get this

"When content is rejected by a reviewer they also give a reason as to why it was rejected. This link explains further what they mean by each type of rejection."

Given the full explanation I provided in the initial email with reference numbers that said, "They had been Declined for being similar" I think that response above was only going to make me even more annoyed that Shutterstock are a company of cut and paste service status and automated processes. 

It's got to a point were I dread submitting photo/illustrations here anymore, it just winds me up... I'll send stock images here and keep the other stuff for your competitors. The funny thing is, the type of images you reject now are also the biggest earners here... really ironic.

1 hour ago, caioacquesta said:

I´ve also had lots and lots of SUPER FAST rejected pictures recently, new and resubmissions ... 

Always whit the same explanation: Focus/Subject . 

It seems for me the AI System isn´t recognizing sometimes where the photographer has chosen to put the focus

I resubmitted now some photos (one by one) that were rejected by focus, and INCREDIBLY, were ACCEPTED !    WITHOUT making CHANGES on it !!

Why is that  ?? 

The secret is not to send photos in package  ???

Same here,too.The submitters really fast,since last couple month,we should thanks about that.But the images lay out to our pages not same speed.I know it will take time in 5 days for everyone.I think today second day that i am waiting my approved photos layout on my port.And I think it's more important for everyone,put the sale all images as fast as possible.My job is take photography and upload upload and upload 🙂 ...After,their's job!

I had read many article who is sitting there machine or human,sometimes i am confused but i had talk with a submitter when i have a problem here and he said he was a submitter since 7 years.So i do not wonder anymore.

It was last year i had same issue,i was suprise,i could not belive what happen and i told my kid where gone my image very fast and she was making fun with me 🙂 i finnaly saw it in approved panel.It was like it was gone direct in approved panel without review!

Well,We should make ready our mind for future that the machines will make most jobs 😉 

By the way, i've already started converting  my images when edit from RAW on PS "smart image" !!

Considering the number of images and particularly video clips I see being rejected for invalid reasons recently, I'd say they are using AI to inspect too.  I'm not a newbie.  I've been doing this since 05.  All of a sudden a huge number of rejections.  In the last batch I looked at all of the rejected images again and they just aren't valid.  Some seascapes shot on a beautiful foggy day were rejected for "noise".  It wasn't noise.  It was haze.  Another rejected for rolling shutter.  There was no rolling shutter, it was a wave crashing on a rock and throwing spray 10 feet into the air.  Just a few examples, but they were some of my best clips with strong sales potential, rejected by a machine.  The clips that did get through were not as good and had minimal sales potential.  I see this same type of idiocy with the keyword suggestions.  A photo of chocolate cake has the keyword "asphalt" recommended and so on.

Coupled with how they have been letting our clips go for just $1.50 and 60 cents, I find myself wondering why I upload here.  Truth is, if SS was the only agency I wouldn't shoot stock at all anymore.

13 hours ago, MSPhotographic said:

Considering the number of images and particularly video clips I see being rejected for invalid reasons recently, I'd say they are using AI to inspect too.  I'm not a newbie.  I've been doing this since 05.  All of a sudden a huge number of rejections.  In the last batch I looked at all of the rejected images again and they just aren't valid.  Some seascapes shot on a beautiful foggy day were rejected for "noise".  It wasn't noise.  It was haze.  Another rejected for rolling shutter.  There was no rolling shutter, it was a wave crashing on a rock and throwing spray 10 feet into the air.  Just a few examples, but they were some of my best clips with strong sales potential, rejected by a machine.  The clips that did get through were not as good and had minimal sales potential.  I see this same type of idiocy with the keyword suggestions.  A photo of chocolate cake has the keyword "asphalt" recommended and so on.

Coupled with how they have been letting our clips go for just $1.50 and 60 cents, I find myself wondering why I upload here.  Truth is, if SS was the only agency I wouldn't shoot stock at all anymore.

Same experience here. Definitely an AI involved. Half of the images are rejected for reasons you described so well. I am not bothered, still submitting to other sides who are actually accepting the stuff rejected here and where some of the rejected images are actually topping the best seller list. I am not trying to re upload images rejected on SS. If the company does not see the sales potential of images because of AI pre-screening it is their problem. Other sites are happy to sell them

The AI rejections are really something. For example the common rejection phrase: Focus: The main subject of this image is not in focus.

When I have a composition of a group of subjects in an image and I decide to focus on something on the edge instead of the center of the frame to it look  different or to use a different style  it will be rejected because the AI used by Shutterstock will reject it as out of Focus. I really would rather prefer a human reviewer to a mathematical algorithms one. I guess Michelangelo or Van Gogh would never have been successful because of too much noise and grain on their paintings !!:-0

On 11/21/2019 at 2:46 PM, caioacquesta said:

I resubmitted now some photos (one by one) that were rejected by focus, and INCREDIBLY, were ACCEPTED !    WITHOUT making CHANGES on it !!

Why is that  ?? 

The secret is not to send photos in package  ???

the first photo (rocks) was rejected by FOCUS.

the second one (blue lake) was accepted. 

I have many other examples of that.

Could someone explain it ?

1572456295_medium.jpg

stock-photo-lake-wonderful-spot-in-the-huascar-n-national-park-huaraz-peruvian-andes-selective-focus-1572441982.jpg

12 minutes ago, caioacquesta said:

Could someone explain it ?

There are many good reasons for this.
Some of them depend on the time of day. 
If, for example, the reviewers had the wrong chocolate coating for breakfast, the rejection rate rises rapidly. It can get even worse at noon, when it's Veggie Day in the canteen. Anyone who thinks they can get through the photos of the last barbecue evening or the bloody steak at this time is wrong. 
It's a bit better in the afternoon. The reviewers always take a little nap there. During this time they set the process to "automatic". "Automatic" means that an artificial intelligence, which is able to choose one of two options, does the review. At least 50% of the pictures make it to the front. 
The best time for submitting is when the reviewers had a little whiskey for the evening. Or two. Or three.
This seems to support the optical abilities of our reviewers to the highest degree and moreover, they don't always hit the desired button. 
So, always submit in the evening then everything will be fine with SS.     

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)