Tony Dunn

Main subject out of fucus

On 11/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, Joseph Kulha said:

I keep getting this too, the OOF, and while it's obviously their site so they can accept or reject whatever they want...I think they're making a mistake with many of their rejections (you can find these complaints all over the internet).  This is one of the reasons I refused to use them in the past, it's just extremely frustrating and it seems completely random which of my shots are accepted or rejected.  This was confirmed to me earlier when I had a photo rejected multiple times for multiple different reasons...including "excessive grain" when in fact it's just dust and grime because it's a shot of an abandoned interior.

But again, their site, their choice...

Same here I tried I Stock years ago (never tried shutter stock until now) but was rejected. It's only because I now have better cameras now & could scan my old slides that I tried again.  I'm sure they use automatic software sometimes to judge quality of photos. My brother {who's an ex full time photographer in the film era)  couldn't find anything wrong with a photo I submitted even back then and he submits photos for stock all the time but not microstock.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:38 PM, Maurice James Dawson said:

Tony, The aperture numbers on these bridge cameras are not the same as what your 35mm film camera was. They are an equivalence to 35mm cameras meaning your max of F11 is probably equivalent to F22 on a 35mm camera, has to do with the size of the sensor and the lens. It does differ per camera but that's how these sort of cameras work. You should also experiment with the camera trying to take the same photo at different settings, lenses usually have a 'sweet spot' for max sharpness, sometimes going up to F16 or F22 causes softness because of the light bouncing around inside the lens during exposure, this is called Diffraction. As far as zooming in digital cameras there is usually an option in the settings to turn off digital zoom so that you don't use it by mistake. In the viewfinder there is somewhere along the zoom line a stripe, this is where digital zoom clicks in. And I'm sorry to say but your images are OOF, even the image of Big Ben, look at the letters under the clock face they aren't in focus.

yes I never use digital zoom because the canon has 50x zoom. Only the water reflection shot was taken with that on the widest angle the zoom could go so there was some distortion. I just got a sony NEX 5n camera with 18-55mm zoom lens & it's much better / sharper with no purple fringing on the edges of the photo. 

Something is strange, yes. I posted a new topic yesterday with more details about it. I've never had problems with focus, but this time sharp photos are being rejected at random.

I say randomly because if today they are accepted, tomorrow they may not be. It is as if it depended on the day. I've been selling reasonably well, but this has discouraged me, especially.

This brings me to two possibilities:

1. The curation system has been updated and brought new bugs with it.
2. They raised their level of demand (especially with regard to the focus criterion) to superhuman levels and failed to warn us about it in the news section.

If you look closely at my topic you will realize that the first possibility is the most plausible one.

Just to illustrate (I know they are not interested in this) I shoot with a Canon 6DMII + 70-200 f4 L USM.

The entire last batch was rejected by the moderator (if you can call it that) because the main subject is out of focus. I have suspicions that the moderator presses the buttons without looking even at the monitor. I uploaded absolutely sharp pictures, which I check before uploading at 100% magnification. And this is not the first time! Not only is sales the worst month in the last two years, but also blind moderators remove 90% of the downloaded material. Thank you for the wonderful mood for the holidays!

On 12/19/2019 at 5:35 AM, vesperstock said:

Expanding an image beyond the intended resolution — ie to the point where pixelation is visible — results in a perception that it's out of focus. This is not helpful.

I agree I just hope the reviewers don't 'expand images higher than 100%  else they'll find things wrong with every photo submitted.

On 12/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, Leonardo Castro said:

Something is strange, yes. I posted a new topic yesterday with more details about it. I've never had problems with focus, but this time sharp photos are being rejected at random.

I say randomly because if today they are accepted, tomorrow they may not be. It is as if it depended on the day. I've been selling reasonably well, but this has discouraged me, especially.

This brings me to two possibilities:

1. The curation system has been updated and brought new bugs with it.
2. They raised their level of demand (especially with regard to the focus criterion) to superhuman levels and failed to warn us about it in the news section.

If you look closely at my topic you will realize that the first possibility is the most plausible one.

Just to illustrate (I know they are not interested in this) I shoot with a Canon 6DMII + 70-200 f4 L USM.

Canon 6DMII + 70-200 is a full frame DSLR is it not? If photos get rejected using that then there's no hope for us APS-c cam users lol. Did you resubmit the sharp photos? Surely SS must realise that someone who uses a full frame cam would naturaly be able to take sharp photos.

12 hours ago, Tony Dunn said:

Canon 6DMII + 70-200 is a full frame DSLR is it not? If photos get rejected using that then there's no hope for us APS-c cam users lol. Did you resubmit the sharp photos? Surely SS must realise that someone who uses a full frame cam would naturaly be able to take sharp photos.

Yes, it is a full frame (and the lens, despite its old design and not being very expensive, is a "L" version, Canon's high-end line with excellent performance). And yes, I re-sent exactly the same pictures, without any kind of editing!

But a full frame, by itself, does not guarantee perfect pictures 100% of the time. Basically, what you get with a full frame camera is a higher utilization rate (which in my case has been around ~8%) and more attractive photos in specific circumstances (not really relevant in all cases).

The problem here is the photo itself, which can be taken with any camera, if in the right conditions even with a cell phone and that once well focused, it could not be rejected. At least not for that reason. I have more than one photo in my port made with a $90.00 compact camera (Canon Powershot A490). By the way, one of my best photos (National Geographic homepage for 5 days!) was made with this gem! :)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/lush-megalopyge-albicollis-caterpillar-climbing-matchstick-1252840648

And there is no problem with that here at the SS, although it was sent at a time when these strange rejections were not happening.

13 hours ago, Leonardo Castro said:

Yes, it is a full frame (and the lens, despite its old design and not being very expensive, is a "L" version, Canon's high-end line with excellent performance). And yes, I re-sent exactly the same pictures, without any kind of editing!

But a full frame, by itself, does not guarantee perfect pictures 100% of the time. Basically, what you get with a full frame camera is a higher utilization rate (which in my case has been around ~8%) and more attractive photos in specific circumstances (not really relevant in all cases).

The problem here is the photo itself, which can be taken with any camera, if in the right conditions even with a cell phone and that once well focused, it could not be rejected. At least not for that reason. I have more than one photo in my port made with a $90.00 compact camera (Canon Powershot A490). By the way, one of my best photos (National Geographic homepage for 5 days!) was made with this gem! :)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/lush-megalopyge-albicollis-caterpillar-climbing-matchstick-1252840648

And there is no problem with that here at the SS, although it was sent at a time when these strange rejections were not happening.

they seem to have started rejecting low light or long exposure photos using noise as the reason when there was hardly any that I could see in my photos..

13 hours ago, Leonardo Castro said:

that photo is sharp no doubt about it> I also have a few in my port taken with my old cheap Olympus point & shoot cam. but most photos using it got rejected because they were old & weren't shot with the intention of submitting here. I realise you now have to think 'stock photo' when you shoot.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:27 PM, Tony Dunn said:

Actually if the size matches the resolution, and the full frame has the same or similar pixel pitch as the crop camera, they would both be equally as sharp.

In simple terms, a full frame doesn't always take sharper photos than an APS-C camera. An older full frame, won't be as sharp as a newer crop camera. And what of Nikon, where the camera can change from DX to FX using the same sensor? Both are identical sharpness, pixel pitch and everything, just the image size changes.

👍

Yes there is hope for APS sensors, I shoot that with one exception a 1Ds II that's really nice, but not as fast.

I'd say, you will get more for your money and better images, buying the best lenses you can afford, before assuming that a full frame camera is more important. A lens will last for years and many different cameras. Same Macro lens (for example) I had on my 10-D is still perfect and working for my other cameras. I've gone through probably six camera bodies and have four more, in that time.

You want sharper photos? Get the best lens you can afford.

Only one photo here is from my full frame camera.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, Jeff De said:

last photo is not in focus, has brands and company names, and has identifiable people in it. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.40.52 AM.png

that's way more than 100%