Hello,

I took an image of my Persian carpet & submitted as commercial (also with property release) and it was rejected (intellectual property reason). My question is, do you think I can submit it as editorial (things of human interest category) and how likely it will be accepted? You may say that go ahead and see if it works or not. But since rejection is very frustrating for me, I wanted to ask your opinion first (Also I am not much familiar with editorial). And how the caption should be?

I attach the image, and also the link to my previous topic about this image (if you wanted to look at it anyway).

Watermarked.jpg

1 hour ago, blackjack said:

I took an image of my Persian carpet & submitted as commercial (also with property release) and it was rejected (intellectual property reason). My question is, do you think I can submit it as editorial (things of human interest category) and how likely it will be accepted? You may say that go ahead and see if it works or not. But since rejection is very frustrating for me, I wanted to ask your opinion first (Also I am not much familiar with editorial). And how the caption should be?

Hello,

The rejection is for intellectual property of the model creator. You are just the owner of the rug, not the designer.

Yes you can upload it as editorial, I just checked, there are many other carpets.

Have a look at this search result, find something similar and see how to do the description and keywording: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/antique+persian+carpet?sort=newest&image_type=photo

Good luck!

Thank you Whiteaster,

Prior to posting I searched "persian carpet" and I don't know why I got completely diferent results, less than 100 editorial images and all with ~119$ prices. It seems I did something wrong. Thanks for the link, I found some images similar to mine (which due to that search haven't found none of them) which are helpful in caption and keywording.

I like your images which beside their artistic values make me very hungry :)

Cheers!

I submitted and its rejected: Non-Licensable Content: We cannot accept this image into our commercial or editorial collection, or we are no longer accepting this type of content.

I think SS policies is rather frustrating and confusing, while I found many images similar in the search results. After a while even in capturing moments you are not sure if you are image will be useful later or not.

I am so sorry for the rejection. they change the rules but we never know what has changed.

Still, I see this image was uploaded on October 2019, though none of these carpets are the main focus (or all of them are).

carpet2.jpg.1ad20cabdb57e525590ea530e67e1698.jpg

I filtered that link for latest editorials, if you have the patience, you could check what was uploaded lately. Just hover over the image and the date is usually among the first words.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/antique+persian+carpet?sort=newest&image_type=photo&editorial=1

The search engine doesn't bring them up in the right order.

You could try re-uploading it later, maybe the reviewer was too cautious. I hope it will go though.

Thank you very much for your kind words about my food.

Thank you alot for your efforts & searches on this matter. Among them I saw 4 images from May 2019 which carpet was main subject (a carpet filling the frame).

The thing I really I want to know is that, is there any announcement from the time they change a policy (if they really did) to inform us, contributors, so we become more careful what not to submit. Or they just wait until we submit something and then reject with a simple general one line explanation, and leave us with wasted time, effort and frustration.

16 minutes ago, blackjack said:

Thank you alot for your efforts & searches on this matter. Among them I saw 4 images from May 2019 which carpet was main subject (a carpet filling the frame).

The thing I really I want to know is that, is there any announcement from the time they change a policy (if they really did) to inform us, contributors, so we become more careful what not to submit. Or they just wait until we submit something and then reject with a simple general one line explanation, and leave us with wasted time, effort and frustration.

In general there are no announcements, unless something big is coming. Reviewers are inconsequent and some are overzealous.

You can re-upload the image and try again. The number of rejections doesn't count anywhere. If you get the same rejection several times, then you can give up.

You know that you can write your metadata on the image file in photoshop or other software, this way you don't need to start from scratch if rejected.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, carpet designs are protected as they are often used to identify the maker as coming from one village or even one family.  There's a lot of history about intellectual property theft and carpet designs that makes some fascinating research.  

Short answer, carpets like this are art and there's lot of legal history about protecting the design.  I could definitely see why the image couldn't be used as commercial.  

As for editorial, I thought it would be okay, but I haven't read all of the restrictions.  A quick search here: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/Known-Image-Restrictions-Objects-and-Subjects?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

gives me:

Wallpaper, Wrapping Paper, and Textiles

• Unique wallpaper, wrapping paper, and other textiles are subject to copyright protection. Flat scans and head on shots of wallpaper, wrapping paper, and other textiles are unacceptable for both commercial or editorial use

• Can be acceptable for commercial use if the wallpaper, wrapping paper, or textile design is generic and incidental/not the main subject of the content

So there you have it.  

Yes, a rug like this will be copyright protected.

I don't know if your image counts as a "head on shot" or "flat scan" but it's definitively not "not the main subject of the content".

Those image restriction lists make an interesting read.  

Considering how small the returns are per sale here, I find it's not worth investing too much time trying to get a single image through their review process unless it's to try to understand a technical flaw in the image.  

12 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

In general there are no announcements, unless something big is coming. Reviewers are inconsequent and some are overzealous.

You can re-upload the image and try again. The number of rejections doesn't count anywhere. If you get the same rejection several times, then you can give up.

You know that you can write your metadata on the image file in photoshop or other software, this way you don't need to start from scratch if rejected.

No, I don't bother go any further. Why? What for? Going for a little possibility of approving and then, among some millions useless easily approved images, waiting months for the image to be discovered and sell 25 cents doesn't make me any proud of my efforts & even myself.

11 hours ago, Crowing Hen said:

As for editorial, I thought it would be okay, but I haven't read all of the restrictions.  A quick search here: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/Known-Image-Restrictions-Objects-and-Subjects?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

Considering how small the returns are per sale here, I find it's not worth investing too much time trying to get a single image through their review process unless it's to try to understand a technical flaw in the image.  

Thank you for the link, I hadn't seen that. Yes every now & then these rules change. You may come later and see they say, even carpets that are not the main subject are not acceptable because the customer can zoom in or crop that image out and steal the design anyway.

Completely agreed, its not worth it.

I like many of your images, specially B&W hen sitting on arm of chair, or hole on the wall.

1 hour ago, blackjack said:

No, I don't bother go any further. Why? What for? Going for a little possibility of approving and then, among some millions useless easily approved images, waiting months for the image to be discovered and sell 25 cents doesn't make me any proud of my efforts & even myself.

I think you are right, I understand your point of view.