Em Double-U Images

CAMERA BRAND AUTOMATICALLY INCLUDED IN IMAGE DESCRIPTION RESULTING IN REJECTION.

I have just read feedback from my first submissions. Most were rejected on the grounds of trademark names in the description or keywords. I can't see any issue with the keywords I used, but the name of my camera was automatically inserted in the description field. Had the field been left blank to begin with, this is information that I would not have considered putting in the description. Since it was automatically put in the description field by Shutterstock's system, I assumed it was valid information to include. So the question I am left with is; Why does Shutterstock automatically put information into the image description that will lead to an image being rejected? I feel this is an unnecessary waste of my time.

Some cameras include the camera model in you exif description field. Shutterstck look at this field and automatically includes the content in the description field.

Short answer is: delete this info while submitting, it is not relevant and should not be included.

The reason why SS does that is that many people put the title/description of the image in the exif description field of the photo file so that when they submit to multiple agencies they do not have to manually write the description multiple times, on each web site, but the info is embedded within the photo and automatically read and filled up on submission. Same goes for the exif keywords field. Fill it up (for example in lightroom) and now your keywords are in the photo file, you don't have to manually write them each time for each site you submit to.

How are you adding keywords to your image?  In lightroom?  Some other way? 

It doesn't sound like you are you manually typing them in on the SS website when you submit the photo?

You sound frustrated (I can tell because shouting your subject line makes it difficult to read what you are saying and indicates to the powers that be that they should dismiss the thread as a rant rather than a call for help).  It's good to remember that every site has their own system.  The key is to learn how their system works and make it do your bidding.  Other people seem able to do this, so there must be a way.  Perhaps SS has a tutorial around here that will show you what they are looking for?

There is software (for free as well) that lets you remove the exif data. I did that for a while for similar reasons. But not doing it any more. Some of my older photos (though they are o.k., in fact a couple are among my most downloaded ones) were taken with a small older "pocket" Canon. And I didn't feel like volunteering to provide that info to reviewers. But since then I realized that if the photo is o.k., they won't reject it due to the camera you used. 

On 11/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, Ackab Photography said:

Some cameras include the camera model in you exif description field. Shutterstck look at this field and automatically includes the content in the description field.

Short answer is: delete this info while submitting, it is not relevant and should not be included.

The reason why SS does that is that many people put the title/description of the image in the exif description field of the photo file so that when they submit to multiple agencies they do not have to manually write the description multiple times, on each web site, but the info is embedded within the photo and automatically read and filled up on submission. Same goes for the exif keywords field. Fill it up (for example in lightroom) and now your keywords are in the photo file, you don't have to manually write them each time for each site you submit to.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I was aware of being able to enter keywords before uploading but will need to look into how to edit description in exif data.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, Crowing Hen said:

You sound frustrated (I can tell because shouting your subject line makes it difficult to read what you are saying and indicates to the powers that be that they should dismiss the thread as a rant rather than a call for help).  It's good to remember that every site has their own system.  The key is to learn how their system works and make it do your bidding.  Other people seem able to do this, so there must be a way.  Perhaps SS has a tutorial around here that will show you what they are looking for?

I did not intend to shout, I had not noticed the title was in caps until I saw your response. I'm new to this and it was a genuine question.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:30 PM, Em Double-U Images said:

I have just read feedback from my first submissions. Most were rejected on the grounds of trademark names in the description or keywords. I can't see any issue with the keywords I used, but the name of my camera was automatically inserted in the description field. Had the field been left blank to begin with, this is information that I would not have considered putting in the description. Since it was automatically put in the description field by Shutterstock's system, I assumed it was valid information to include. So the question I am left with is; Why does Shutterstock automatically put information into the image description that will lead to an image being rejected? I feel this is an unnecessary waste of my time.

You can open the photo in your photo software, copy the image, open a new empty file a new one and paste the photo into it. The Exif/IPTC data will have disappeared in the new file. Takes one second.

EXIF stripper Free

2 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

You can open the photo in your photo software, copy the image, open a new empty file a new one and paste the photo into it. The Exif/IPTC data will have disappeared in the new file. Takes one second.

Yes, also easy.

Does shutterstock have a list of "banned" cameras - maybe because their sensor resolution isn't deemed good enough?  I have searched high and low and can't find if such a thing exists.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jim Grady said:

Does shutterstock have a list of "banned" cameras - maybe because their sensor resolution isn't deemed good enough?  I have searched high and low and can't find if such a thing exists.

I've been thinking the same thing several times. I can well imagine that there is a list of cameras with insufficient quality.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jim Grady said:

Does shutterstock have a list of "banned" cameras - maybe because their sensor resolution isn't deemed good enough? 

SS accepts everything bigger than 4MP. 

Alamy had such a list some years ago, but I do not know, if they still use it.

I doubt, that SS has a list, because I sometimes submit fotos from a tiny toy drone (accept) and sometimes without name of camera in EXIF (accept).

So they do not seem to care. 

I've even had pics from an old iPhone 5 accepted, so SS does not seem to have a hang-up about cameras.

BTW - this thread was originally not about the OP's camera causing the rejection. The rejection was caused by the camera's BRAND NAME being automatically added to the keywords.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:30 AM, Em Double-U Images said:

rejected on the grounds of trademark names in the description or keywords. I can't see any issue with the keywords I used, but the name of my camera was automatically inserted

Ive noticed some commercial videos where the name "GoPro" was used as part of the description. I don't know how the contributors got away with that. Perhaps they edited the descriptions and inserted the camera brand after the videos were approved. Very sneaky if that was the case.