Jeff De

Introducing Forum Reactions!

3 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

For what it's worth, well said, Kelly.  You will be missed.

Yeah I wrote the same in a PM.

Yes, Debra, I see it just like you do.

When I read all this, I have to realize that my opinion about the "forum reactions" was right. It was a mistake to introduce them. They lead to abuse, further arguments and ultimately contribute even more to a decreasing communication culture. In my opinion this should be abolished as soon as possible. I don't see any enrichment in this "innovation". And repeat once more that there are other, more important issues that should have been addressed.

10 hours ago, D O-P Photography said:

Well @jeffde it looks like Forum Reactions has been a great success! Whoever thought of it should be promoted 🏅 It started on the 4th November and today is the 10th November. So far it has only started the 3rd World Forum War and only 4 regular contributors are leaving and only 3 have said they won't participate whilst it is in place! (Only my limited count) It could have been so much worse. Congratulations 🍻

The result may be somewhat suboptimal.
But in defence of the IT department, I have to say that this has been the first and only innovation that has worked since my time with SS. 
Everything else the guys created was "exciting", but never really worked. 
That the colorful switches don't work is not the fault of the IT department or SS.
But to sociopaths like me. 

9 hours ago, geogif said:

The result may be somewhat suboptimal.
But in defence of the IT department, I have to say that this has been the first and only innovation that has worked since my time with SS. 

There's a bullseye slapshot if I ever saw one. 😎

3 hours ago, Forum Mihai said:

........ And that's my dear friend Leo, who achieved 100 down arrows in a matter of hours. Once he realized that we could see how he squeezed the cat in the dark, he switched his tune, acting as an innocent "retaliation" victim.

• The novelty wore off very quickly - it had nothing to do with the confidentiality of the Forum Reaction feature.
  • But I see you are still very much engrossed by the Forum Reaction feature.

14 hours ago, geogif said:

Everything else the guys created was "exciting", but never really worked. 

If I remember right, the SS team does not handle the forum software, it comes from elsewhere.  The forum is a separate entity from the rest of the SS.

@jeffde Can we please shut down this thread and remove the system of voting. This is really pathetic. Actually any other thread that has this amount of arguing/fighting would have been shut down immediately and yet SS let's this continue.

Actually i think this voting system can be also a good thing. It is nice to see how much other members like your comments or posts. To see if they agree or not agree. To see if it was helpful. It can be very motivating. I use even red arrows if i think some comment is offending. This also can help the person to be aware that maybe something is not right. I also want to receive red arrows. I see them as a help and if i will get to many of these then i know it is time to check my past comments and try to understand what i could do better. If this system is used the right way it can be really an extra "fun" or motivation in a forum.

21 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

Actually i think this voting system can be also a good thing. It is nice to see how much other members like your comments or posts. To see if they agree or not agree. To see if it was helpful. It can be very motivating. I use even red arrows if i think some comment is offending. This also can help the person to be aware that maybe something is not right. I also want to receive red arrows. I see them as a help and if i will get to many of these then i know it is time to check my past comments and try to understand what i could do better. If this system is used the right way it can be really an extra "fun" or motivation in a forum.

I agree with you 100%, as usual.
Finally there is something like an objective, clear, unambiguous and fair evaluation of the forum posts.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Paul McKinnon said:

Won't this lead to spamming?  What bothers me the forum is there are so many duplicate topics.  A topic is created and people reply with good points, then somebody else posts a similar topic and all the good points already made have to be repeated or are lost forever.  It is very frustrating!

No worries...duplicates will be rejected ;-)

On 11/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Forum Mihai said:

No worries, "forum zombies" are those who are not allowed to post on this forum, but can vote. You are very much "alive", therefore not a "forum zombie".

😉

Wow some new zombies have arrived in the last few days. I guess they are multiplying. I hope SS finally does something about anonymous accounts that are just used for trolling the forum.

On 11/4/2019 at 7:43 AM, Jeffde1 said:

We're excited to introduce a new feature to the Shutterstock Contributor Forums - Reactions!

Reactions award reputation points to the contributor who posted a topic or reply. Each reaction can increase or decrease the contributor's reputation points total (or leave it unchanged).

Reputation points serve only to help others to see the overall community reaction to a contributor's reply or topic. Please try out this feature and let us know your feedback.

@Jeffde1

Is this not abuse of the Forum Reaction feature?

1643825664_Screenshotat2019-11-1516-26-44.thumb.png.56850e0b6ca9be5f4d970c0f8aa84edc.png

On 11/10/2019 at 3:34 PM, PlopandShoot said:

I don't get the fuss. Some of the same people arguing the same things over and over for months, and all the sudden people leaving because "arrows"? 

FWIW, I have 2 accounts (one for the forum and one for my ss account), and I pm'd Jeff at the time I created it to ensure I was not breaking any rules. So far so good. 

The forum is much less toxic these days in my opinion, one of the ringleaders is gone, and his minions are less vocal which makes the people on the other side (rightly or wrongly depending on pov), have less to be contentious about. Win win.

Good to know, maybe Leonard will stop being a self appointed admin telling what we can write here.

7 minutes ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

I wish I could get out of here!  For some reason Admin isn't helping me with that.

• You don't need the admin for that.
  • Log-out for good and your posts will get bumped down and quickly forgotten.
  • By posting you delay your departure.

30 minutes ago, Leonard Whistler said:

• You don't need the admin for that.
  • Log-out for good and your posts will get bumped down and quickly forgotten.
  • By posting you delay your departure.

Closing an account should be an available option, there should be a button for that imho.

15 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Closing an account should be an available option, there should be a button for that imho.

• But there is no fanfare with the simple click of a button.
  • The most popular way of exiting these forums is with multiple posts or even threads announcing their departure - a process that can take months.
  • One of the most notable cases is @Laurin Rinder - about 10 threads which spanned several years.

1 minute ago, Leonard Whistler said:

• But there is no fanfare with the simple click of a button.
  • The most popular way of exiting these forums is multiple posts or even threads announcing their departure - a process that can take months.
  • One of the most notable cases is @Laurin Rinder - about 10 threads which spanned several years.

lol. Still think there should be a button, Not specifically for this forum, in general, for all web sites accounts.

I think the reactions have been extremely successful for doing what they are designed to do.  Get people who like spending time on social media style forums, to spend more time on this forum and get everyone else so annoyed that they go out and take more photographs.