59 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Shutterstock demands it,

There's a saying in Germany: "Paper is patient."
It doesn't matter what SS writes or says.
It depends on what SS does and accepts. 
And that very often contradicts the SS's own guidelines. They are worth not much.

8 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

And the number one factor is relevance: producing images having high commercial appeal.  Any port having that combination of relevance, diversity, and quality - regardless of size - will be a winner, (assuming descriptions are not truncated ... and the keywords are comprehensive and relevant).

So true. It's not rocket science that someone like me need to substantial scale my currently-microscopic-portfolio, but the only reason I'm getting regular payouts across agencies is that I haven't stuck with a single genre (let alone single subject or subject-group) but rather have tried to scale the variety of subject matter and improve the commercial value.

6 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Nice pic! Has yours ever sold? (Of course, you don't have to leak that info...) Mine never has, bit I've figured a few "weird" but relevant images couldn't hurt my portfolio.

4 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

Nice pic! Has yours ever sold? (Of course, you don't have to leak that info...) Mine never has, bit I've figured a few "weird" but relevant images couldn't hurt my portfolio.

Mine hasn't sold yet, either, but I always laughed when i saw that bike hanging off that piling!  Funny stuff!  I used to spend a lot of time out at Point Defiance, and would always come back via Ruston Way because it was such a nice drive.  Now i wish I had done some diving there!  

Here's another of my Ruston Way shots that has sold.  :)

stock-photo-large-cumulonimbus-cloud-set

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

Here's another of my Ruston Way shots that has sold.  :)

Nice one. I tried to get a similar shot, but when I zoomed in to 100% later it was a bit out of focus. Something I would hope SS would reject (and thus I didn't submit)... 😏

Learned a lot from this thread... I've been an SS contributor since Oct 2018. With only 83 images in my portfolio I was only able to sell 3 images so far. I'm still learning post on my raw photos though using Free software during my work day-offs.

What do you think about my images? I need you honest opinion/s please.... ^^

33 minutes ago, McOwenLevi said:

Learned a lot from this thread... I've been an SS contributor since Oct 2018. With only 83 images in my portfolio I was only able to sell 3 images so far. I'm still learning post on my raw photos though using Free software during my work day-offs.

You have some good photos, but you need to work on light and composition. Little light. Need to use flash and reflectors. You can use the simplest Chinese flash, the light from the flash is the same, the only difference is the ability to control. There is a lot of competition in food, see other people's top works. Use your location. Take photographs of exotic fruits, but attractively so that you can insert them in travel advertisements in Thailand. Look for advertising in Thailand on the Internet and see which photos are used for this.

15 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:
15 hours ago, McOwenLevi said:

You have some good photos, but you need to work on light and composition. Little light. Need to use flash and reflectors. You can use the simplest Chinese flash, the light from the flash is the same, the only difference is the ability to control. There is a lot of competition in food, see other people's top works. Use your location. Take photographs of exotic fruits, but attractively so that you can insert them in travel advertisements in Thailand. Look for advertising in Thailand on the Internet and see which photos are used for this

Thank you much @Evgeniia Ozerkina. Really appreciate your feedback and kind advice. Your comment actually seconds my personal thoughts 🙂  Will work harder on my photography skills esp lighting and composition. As for my image sharpness, i really couldn't get it with my current lens (i'm using prime mid-range M.Zuiko MFT lens -25mm F1.8) could be due to poor lighting and shaky hands, what do you think? At ISO 200-250, my photos still has noises too even during day time shooting (with good lighting).

Anyways, will slowly work on these issues. And will capture Thai exotic fruits and dishes next time per your suggestion.

Thanks again.

23 hours ago, McOwenLevi said:

Your fotos are quite ok, but some got problems with the shadows. Use equipement, as Evgeniia adviced and/or lokal shadow corrections in PP.

But too few, of course. 3 sales for 87 fotos is not bad, but to buy you a coffee at starbucks you need many, many more fotos.  

8 hours ago, McOwenLevi said:

Thank you much @Evgeniia Ozerkina. Really appreciate your feedback and kind advice. Your comment actually seconds my personal thoughts 🙂  Will work harder on my photography skills esp lighting and composition. As for my image sharpness, i really couldn't get it with my current lens (i'm using prime mid-range M.Zuiko MFT lens -25mm F1.8) could be due to poor lighting and shaky hands, what do you think? At ISO 200-250, my photos still has noises too even during day time shooting (with good lighting).

Anyways, will slowly work on these issues. And will capture Thai exotic fruits and dishes next time per your suggestion.

Thanks again.

You are shooting immovable objects. Use a tripod. A cheap tripod is better than no tripod. A tripod can be made heavier if there is a hook below. If there is no hook, then take bottles of water (or sand) and place around so that it does not stagger. You can use books and other things as a tripod, but it will be inconvenient, you will not be able to use different shooting angles.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, McOwenLevi said:

My humble suspicion is your keywords why you are not selling more, even with a small port like yours. I would go back and fine-tuned those search words. The keyword help function makes it really easy to get the proper words by selecting and "borrowing" from similar photos. Perhaps don't touch those 3 that sold (the algorithm would punish you for that), but update the rest. Just my 2 pennies worth. You might see increased sales 3-4 weeks after. 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, McOwenLevi said:

I like your photos.  Especially this one:

stock-photo-isolated-old-padlock-of-a-wo

Try working on keywords some more.

Can you remove words that won't help you?  Is the lock really isolated?  how many customers will search "design" when looking for this kind of picture?  Where is this "key"?

What words can you add?  What colour is the door?  What colour is the handle?  What colour is the lock?  What kind of lock is it?  Where is the lock made?  Is it a house lock?  A cupboard?  Is it pristine, new, old, rusty, vintage,...?

How are customers going to find your image? 

1 hour ago, Crowing Hen said:

I like your photos.  Especially this one:

stock-photo-isolated-old-padlock-of-a-wo

Try working on keywords some more.

Can you remove words that won't help you?  Is the lock really isolated?  how many customers will search "design" when looking for this kind of picture?  Where is this "key"?

What words can you add?  What colour is the door?  What colour is the handle?  What colour is the lock?  What kind of lock is it?  Where is the lock made?  Is it a house lock?  A cupboard?  Is it pristine, new, old, rusty, vintage,...?

How are customers going to find your image? 

Hi @Crowing Hen I really... truly appreciate your comment. Your point re: proper keywords absolute make sense. Will try to evaluate and revise all non related keywords on my existing image portfolio and will do proper key-wording in my future uploads as well. 

Thanks for the feedback!  🥰🥰

Hi @DharamNeel, I agree with the majority professionals here that keywords and compositions are important. I'm a newbie contributor in Shutterstock. Still learning what are the types of photos demanded by buyers out there. I'm a passive contributor though due to my busy working schedule. So far I have contributed 94 images since June this year, as much as I hope I will have more time to upload more photos. 13 sales as at to date. I'm not sure what is the benchmark of sales conversion rate is considered doing well. But reading the comments here is definitely helping me to improve in my future uploads. 

14 hours ago, McOwenLevi said:

Hi @Crowing Hen I really... truly appreciate your comment. Your point re: proper keywords absolute make sense. Will try to evaluate and revise all non related keywords on my existing image portfolio and will do proper key-wording in my future uploads as well. 

Thanks for the feedback!  🥰🥰

I wouldn't remove the word "design". These days everything is "design". Clothing, a circuit board, computers, a door handle, a chair, a hair pin! That particular padlock is very much a vintage design. It is not keyword spamming. If a buyer is only looking for images based on a single word of "design" and not with word combinations, it's his/her fault if unwanted pictures pop up. 

56 minutes ago, Istvan Balogh said:

I wouldn't remove the word "design". These days everything is "design". Clothing, a circuit board, computers, a door handle, a chair, a hair pin! That particular padlock is very much a vintage design. It is not keyword spamming. If a buyer is only looking for images based on a single word of "design" and not with word combinations, it's his/her fault if unwanted pictures pop up. 

That's very interesting.

I wondered about adding words like 'design' and 'object' to the keywords.  I wondered WHY.

I've only got 50 keywords, so my theory was that all fifty would be directly relevant to the image.  What's more, the more specific the keywords, the more likely I'll find a niche with very few results.

When I search "design" I get 99,212,527 results!  So if I used this word, my photo would be 1 of 99,212,528.  If I was a customer searching for an image, I imagine I wouldn't want to wade through nearly 100 million results.

I was thinking, since I only have fifty keywords, I would choose fifty relevant words that give me results that are less than one million.  

3 hours ago, Crowing Hen said:

That's very interesting.

I wondered about adding words like 'design' and 'object' to the keywords.  I wondered WHY.

I've only got 50 keywords, so my theory was that all fifty would be directly relevant to the image.  What's more, the more specific the keywords, the more likely I'll find a niche with very few results.

When I search "design" I get 99,212,527 results!  So if I used this word, my photo would be 1 of 99,212,528.  If I was a customer searching for an image, I imagine I wouldn't want to wade through nearly 100 million results.

I was thinking, since I only have fifty keywords, I would choose fifty relevant words that give me results that are less than one million.  

Yes, but!! Let's not forget that buyers don't use just the word "design" singled out! If I were to look for an image like yours, I would probably use the search words "vintage brass design padlock". Or skip the design and use door in there as well. I dunno. 50 is a lot to fill. I normally don't have a problem coming up with that, but lately I am thinking that probably I am overshooting by filling all 50! Perhaps there is a "sweet spot" somewhere that the algorithm "prefers". Say 35!? I believe the fewer words you use and still cover the "essence" of the subject, the more chance you have to get your photo come up for a search. Even better if you hit the search words in the description. Just a theory and i am not uploading these days, but i will test it in a while most certainly. Food for thought in any case.

12 hours ago, Istvan Balogh said:

@Istvan Balogh Make sense..keywords updating, done! 😊 Thank a lot.  

1 hour ago, McOwenLevi said:

@Istvan Balogh Make sense..keywords updating, done! 😊 Thank a lot.  

Please let us know if it ends with positive results. I am very curious for one! Your case is rather educational in my view. I was also going to fine-tune my keywords on some photos that I think should sell, but never did. I am not touching the ones that sold. It is not a good idea. They would be dropped back several pages by the algo. Though sometimes it's tempting! Good luck to you. And remember. You can have the greatest photo in your portfolio, if they can't be found, for the buyers they are just "not there".

On 10/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, Jarmo Piironen said:

Hello DharamNeel,

First of all you have way too small portfolio. You need to build portfolio of thousands of photos.

Secondly, learn to edit your photos well. There's plenty of free apps to edit your photos on a phone.

Third, remember to add all relevant information of the image to the keywords and captions.

Fourth, learn photography basics and composition... 😉

You can find more tips in my blog too: https://jamoimages.com/stock-photography-tips/

Great advices! Follow them and your first sale will arrive soon. :)

9 hours ago, D O-P Photography said:

Suggest you read this thread before updating keywords 🙁

Ouch!! In that case there is little point in updating the tags. I take back my previous "suggestion". One tries to give seemingly good advise, but there are other, bigger factors at play. I didn't know about that bug. Sorry!

On 11/17/2019 at 3:14 AM, D O-P Photography said:

Suggest you read this thread before updating keywords 🙁

😭😱 Oh ohh...I updated most of my photo's keywords this past weekend. So, does it mean most of them won't be seen by buyers now?  😭 Hope they could fix this issue soon.