A new "Location" field when uploading your Photos!

10 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

The reviewers will check if the location you entered makes sense. Bad locations might lead to rejections.

And yes, all filters are designed to limit choices.

Thank you Mihai.

5 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

Yes. And not using this field will limit yourself I think. If I will not use the field it means simply that my images will not appear on the search result of people that want to use the filter. 

All right then, could you help me please to place a location to my, say isolated nutcracker (the kitchen utensil not the ballet)?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just what I was wondering as well!

Hi, It seems that once the image is approved, the location cannot be added/edited.  Is that the intention? How would mistakes be corrected? - Thanks.

I am able to enter a location on new submissions. However the location field is showing on existing images in my portfolio, but I am unable to enter the location when I try to edit. Is it possible to

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

I doubt that customers will use the location filter when searching for nutcrackers. So,  it shouldn't matter of you leave it blank.

Unless that nutcracker is traditional to a specific place. In that case, adding the location might help customers looking for that specific traditional nutcracker.

Thanks Mihai, I was joking with Mirco, he has many objects too without origin (location).

On 10/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, Forum Mihai said:

It only make sense to prioritize images from that location, when a customer decides to use the new location filter, the same way specific images are prioritized, when a customer decides to use the color filter, etc

By neglecting it, you can lose, in front of other contributors who will decide to populate it, indeed.

Your decision to make.

but will in be indexed to sub location?

I just uploaded a capture on Pollan Beach, in Ballyliffin, County Donegal, Ireland which is on the Inishowen Peninsula part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

all these would be a location that would likely be used.  In fact the least likely is actually to name of the small town... So how is SS going to make sure the clients finds what they need @jeffde

38 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

I am not Jeffde but yes "Location should be consistent with the title, keywords, and/or property release."

You can read about the "Location requirements" here, if you haven't already.

consistent and equal are NOT the same.  Editorial require me to use CITY, Country.  but location allows for more options (like Neighborhood) 

So my location could be Queens,  whereas caption MUST be New York.  

Though i might have an image in the city of Westminster, i would likely rather it gets group under London for Location (which would be in my KW)

So Consistent, but not MATCH description 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, jeffde said:

Greetings!
We’ve partnered with Google to auto-complete locations based on the text entered. Specific building names and specific addresses are not supported. You can only choose from listed entries in English only - free text entry is not supported. Be as specific as you can, selecting down to the region, town or even neighborhood, if one populates.

Any feedback about this feature is welcomed and will be considered. Thank you all for being a part of the Shutterstock family!

what will be the process to have location added, modified?

will you support places with 2 possible names for example Derry and Londonderry in Northern Ireland?

53 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

I think that you should rather consider what can help customers find your photos. If you think that customers would rather search for Queens, instead of New York, then by all means, use Queens,

But personally, I would not risk missing out on customers searching for New York, just to be on the Queens search, when a selected few will look for Queens photos

ok, but then reverse would apply for London, as i doubt many people would use city of Westminster .  

so again i think SS needs to allow flexibility to meet customers needs.

Hi @jeffde

I would like to know how the location field is interpreted for search results.

For example, if I took a photograph of Mount Snowdon in Wales, I would presently tag it with: 'Snowdon'; 'Snowdonia'; 'Wales'; Welsh' (along with subject keywords). This is so that if someone searches for 'Welsh mountain' they should find my image just as they would if they search more specifically for 'Mount Snowdon'. This system works very well, and appears to be the common practice at present.

If alternatively I used the new location field instead of tagging the location, suppose that Mount Snowdon is in the list of available locations, and I select that location. Will search engines (especially Shutterstock and Google Images) know to associate the image with 'Snowdonia', 'Wales', 'Welsh', 'British', 'European', and so on? Or will customers have to search for 'Mount Snowdon' in order to find the image?

If the new feature uses Google's database of place names, then I am concerned that while Google might know that 'Snowdon' implies 'Wales', it might not use adjective forms such as 'Welsh', meaning that I miss out on customers who search for 'Welsh mountain' as opposed to 'mountain in Wales'. Has this been thought of?

I don’t understand what it is for. Dog or cat, mountains or river. And if the operator wants to concentrate on the object, he will write it in keywords. I am afraid to push away more buyers by specifying a specific location. Although what can push away more than my English ?? .. ;)

In my opinion, this makes sense for news topics. But then you need to increase the speed of checking editorial materials and lure news agencies.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:01 AM, Sergei Tim said:

I don’t understand what it is for. Dog or cat, mountains or river. And if the operator wants to concentrate on the object, he will write it in keywords. I am afraid to push away more buyers by specifying a specific location. Although what can push away more than my English ?? .. ;)

In my opinion, this makes sense for news topics. But then you need to increase the speed of checking editorial materials and lure news agencies.

Double yes to both points. Some subjects don't need a location, but Editorial does. News track for uploading would be an exceptional and "exciting" innovation.

(no comments on anyone's English as a second language, when people who were born here can't write a complete sentence, use even close punctuation and grammar, or spell with a spell checker?)

Microstock agencies, don't really care about news. Some day they will. I mean, heck, everyone has a good enough camera in their pocket now, kids in grade school have better phones than I do.

What ever happened to the citizen journalist sites? Did Yuri start one?

I think we need details on how location will be used.

For example, if someone has something that is relevant to several countries (a species, festival or whatever) this could be important.

If a potential buyer searches for keywords and selects ONE specific country will it exclude *all* the images not tagged with that country thereby potentially removing relevant images?

Or will it *only* exclude images specifically tagged with a different country and continue to show all those which are not?

In the first instance, the contributor is better off tagging and hoping, in the second case, he's better off not adding a location at all.  So its important to know.

Also, for those of us with portfolios in the thousands or 10s of thousands, going back and adding location data for them isnt feasible or practical - are we now going to have the vast majority of our portfolio excluded from searches where someone uses a location and see a corresponding massive drop in sales?

I can see the use in editorial but im struggling to see how its overly useful to RF stock.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:10 PM, Brian Kapp said:

Hi, It seems that once the image is approved, the location cannot be added/edited.  Is that the intention? How would mistakes be corrected? - Thanks.

I've reported this bug but haven't had much luck.

If you're interested, another bug appeared at the same time which affects buyers ability to search for your keywords if you edit or add them after acceptance. To be brief, you see the new/edited keywords next to your content, but if you try to search your catalogue for them, they don't bring up your content. There are two threads going in 'technical issues' about it - one says the problem's been solved, though it hasn't been for me.
@Jeffde1

I wonder how it's going to work. But I can certainly see a few applications. For instance, my city has a common name, and so the search results are alway messed up. I think being able to restrict the search to specific area as on a map, could be great. The same goes for different spellings and alternate names. 

Are we going to be able to update locations of already uploaded photos?