A new "Location" field when uploading your Photos!

Greetings!

Shutterstock is excited to welcome a new feature to our Contributor experience.

In the coming days, there will be a new location field that you can add to your photo submissions. It will be available for photos only and although it is optional, if entered it will be considered by reviewers as part of the review process. The location you enter will not display to customers at this time, but will be used for creating localized search features for customers in the future. This field will be rolled out slowly to all contributors.

If you'd like to take advantage of this new field, here are some guidelines:
Visual context: If you shoot the New York City skyline, the location would be New York, USA, even if the photo was taken from New Jersey.
Metadata: If you enter the location to be Paris, France, be sure not to include other European cities like Barcelona, Rome, Copenhagen in your metadata.

Property Release: If you opt to provide the location of the photo and the property release shows Alexandria, Egypt, the location cannot be Cairo, Egypt.
Again, location is part of the review process, so please be sure that the location does not contradict any of the above guidelines.
We’ve partnered with Google to auto-complete locations based on the text entered. Specific building names and specific addresses are not supported. You can only choose from listed entries in English only - free text entry is not supported. Be as specific as you can, selecting down to the region, town or even neighborhood, if one populates.

Any feedback about this feature is welcomed and will be considered. Thank you all for being a part of the Shutterstock family!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just what I was wondering as well!

Hi, It seems that once the image is approved, the location cannot be added/edited.  Is that the intention? How would mistakes be corrected? - Thanks.

I am able to enter a location on new submissions. However the location field is showing on existing images in my portfolio, but I am unable to enter the location when I try to edit. Is it possible to

Posted Images

So, what would be the advantage? While designated the exact location may have an appeal to select customers, it would seem to limit opportunities. I know I have several images that get used for various locations, not just the exact location. And if an image includes the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben, wouldn't the description and keywords identify Paris and London specifically? So, what is the need or advantage of this extra identifier?

4 hours ago, Michael Warwick said:

So, what would be the advantage? While designated the exact location may have an appeal to select customers, it would seem to limit opportunities. I know I have several images that get used for various locations, not just the exact location. And if an image includes the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben, wouldn't the description and keywords identify Paris and London specifically? So, what is the need or advantage of this extra identifier?

Agree. 

I have many travel fotos, which sell. And in many cases they sell not in the country of travel, but in very different places. 

Therefore the restriction to one country or one region is exactly that: a restriction.

I doubt that this restriction makes sense for worldwide sales. In addition, usually the description or KWs contain the country of admission and customers can search for it.

19 minutes ago, geogif said:

Agree. 

I have many travel fotos, which sell. And in many cases they sell not in the country of travel, but in very different places. 

Therefore the restriction to one country or one region is exactly that: a restriction.

I doubt that this restriction makes sense for worldwide sales. In addition, usually the description or KWs contain the country of admission and customers can search for it.

There is no restriction. Everyone can buy the image. It just says where the subject of the image is. If there is the eifel tower in the image you will anyway put the keywords France and Paris. You would not enter Italy or Spain. This would be spamming ;).

3 hours ago, 1000 Words Images said:

There is no restriction. Everyone can buy the image. It just says where the subject of the image is. If there is the eifel tower in the image you will anyway put the keywords France and Paris. You would not enter Italy or Spain. This would be spamming ;).

Thanks for clarification.

But this means, it is mostly senseless, double work.

If the location is important, I of corse mention it in the KW and/or description. 

What is an new extra field good for?

It seems that there will be a new search method in future for customers related to places and maybe a map. Time will show us.

I wish Shutterstock would use this field also for editorial submissions to create automatic date+place captions. For example you enter the place and an automatic editorial caption will be created based on the location entered and capture date of the photo. Maybe something to think about @jeffde?

This would give contributors a extra motivation to use this new field plus captions will be created faster and in the right format.

7 minutes ago, Heide Pinkall said:

That might also mean that searching for something in a specific region limits the number of results.
E. G. somebody looks for "Christmas market" in gerneral - but he will only see pictures of Christmas markets in the region he is located.
Am I right?

No. I am not a Shutterstock official haha but i am sure it is not the case. They would shoot themselves in the foot. It is only a field to enter the location of the place to be prepared for a new feature for customers to search by location. Everyone can license a christmas market image from any place. He simply can search for it with the help of the field. I cant imagine anything different.

3 hours ago, Heide Pinkall said:

That might also mean that searching for something in a specific region limits the number of results.
E. G. somebody looks for "Christmas market" in gerneral - but he will only see pictures of Christmas markets in the region he is located.
Am I right?

I am afraid you are right. I think this is not done for buyers or contributors but for Google's tailored search results (as I understood Jeffde's announcement).

14 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

I am afraid you are right. I think this is not done for buyers of contributors but for Google's tailored search results (as I understood Jeffde's announcement).

How can this be right ;). Shutterstock is trying to cut down his own sales? So i will never be able to buy a photo of the eifel tower because i am not living in Paris? For sure not. 

It is simply a location field to let the system know "this is a location". Later Shutterstock can use it for other search types. Maybe some map where customer can click on and images appear? 

2 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

They would shoot themselves in the foot.

Why is that? For SS a sale is a sale, no matter where it comes from.

3 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

Everyone can license a christmas market image from any place.

Not from any place, just from what the search result brings up. If you think that you see the same search result on Google as every other people, you are wrong.

Just now, Whiteaster said:

Why is that? For SS a sale is a sale, no matter where it comes from.

Not from any place, just from what the search result brings up. If you think that you see the same search result on Google as every other people, you are wrong.

Ok. I understand know. Sorry 😊. You are thinking from Google perspective. I am thinking from Shutterstock.  

11 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

How can this be right ;). Shutterstock is trying to cut down his own sales? So i will never be able to buy a photo of the eifel tower because i am not living in Paris? For sure not. 

It is simply a location field to let the system know "this is a location". Later Shutterstock can use it for other search types. Maybe some map where customer can click on and images appear? 

You messed up your quotes above, the second one is not mine, please correct it.

So i will never be able to buy a photo of the eifel tower because i am not living in Paris?

This is not what it means of course but I wonder where do you get your info about this when nobody else knows details?

Jefde just mentioned Google but he didn't elaborate what is the relationship between google and SS in this matter.

@Whiteaster

Quote is fixed. Sorry.

And about the details. I just stupidly enough did not understand the message. I thought Heide meaned that what you enter in SHUTTERSTOCK will give results only from your region. But i ignored the fact that all the discussion is about Google. 

I am 38 but i keep on learning.... happy for this. 

🤓

13 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

@Whiteaster

Quote is fixed. Sorry.

And about the details. I just stupidly enough did not understand the message. I thought Heide meaned that what you enter in SHUTTERSTOCK will give results only from your region. But i ignored the fact that all the discussion is about Google. 

I am 38 but i keep on learning.... happy for this. 

🤓

Thank you for the fix.

What does this tell you:

17 hours ago, jeffde said:

The location you enter will not display to customers at this time, but will be used for creating localized search features for customers in the future.

37 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Thank you for the fix.

What does this tell you:

In my understanding it means that the field will not be useful yet when it comes to shutterstock searches at the moment. But it will be used for a new way of searching that will go live on a later stage.

But just my understanding...

33 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

Right. And this is not something new.

Alamy has a location field, Pond5 has a location field. Dreamstime is even making use of coordinates.

This definitely needs more explanation.You both are considering your own stuff, eg. landscapes, cityscapes which have a well defined location but what about other works?

If I upload a "choux a la creme", I will have in the keywords French or France (as French cuisine), I don't want my image to be limited to that one country.

A more clear explanation to what I mean would be the checkbox at 123:

123.jpg.12bffbc8dca1eabdc50378182428f8a3.jpg

I don't want that, I don't think anyone wants that but I am afraid that is what this is all about.

9 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

This definitely needs more explanation.You both are considering your own stuff, eg. landscapes, cityscapes which have a well defined location but what about other works?

If I upload a "choux a la creme", I will have in the keywords French or France (as French cuisine), I don't want my image to be limited to that one country.

A more clear explanation to what I mean would be the checkbox at 123:

123.jpg.12bffbc8dca1eabdc50378182428f8a3.jpg

I don't want that, I don't think anyone wants that but I am afraid that is what's all about it.

Yes i understand....

But you can simply not use it. It is optional ;)

18 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

It only make sense to prioritize images from that location, when a customer decides to use the new location filter, the same way specific images are prioritized, when a customer decides to use the color filter, etc

By neglecting it, you can lose, in front of other contributors who will decide to populate it, indeed.

Your decision to make.

That doesn't answer my question which was, what does this mean:

if entered it will be considered by reviewers as part of the review process

.Besides, I don't see this as prioritizing but as limiting. Hopefully there will be some details from SS's part.

3 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

The reviewers will check if the location you entered makes sense. Bad locations might lead to rejections.

And yes, all filters are designed to limit choices.

Yes. And not using this field will limit yourself I think. If I will not use the field it means simply that my images will not appear on the search result of people that want to use the filter.