https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/new-orleanslouisiana01062019-photo-mardi-gras-orleans-1465763117?src=vxjlS39c4arwsoj_3FzlzA-1-1

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/new-orleanslouisiana01062019-photo-mardi-gras-orleans-1465763048?src=vxjlS39c4arwsoj_3FzlzA-1-36

I guess mardi gras was early this year.  again, this kinds of validate that reviewers are not expected to check captions. 

note: i am commenting on these, in line with guidelines that prevent me only from commenting "on the work of contributors".  this is obviously not the work of contributor. as can be seen below for the second one

https://insidethemagic.net/2013/02/universal-orlando-shows-off-four-new-mardi-gras-floats-joined-by-cajun-cuisine-and-live-music-when-the-event-kicks-off-feb-9/

(also 2nd picture was taken at Universal Studios so would have required a Press Credentials)

new-orleanslouisiana01062019-photo-mardi

Captioned Mardi Gras.

It isnt.  Its an old photo of Masskara festival in the Philippines and the original artist has it for sale on Dreamstime.

Smiley robot thing is from DP in 2017.  Several of them.

new-yorknew-york06082019-photo-capable-6

is actually copyright Matthew McDermott and was used here:- https://nypost.com/2018/05/03/laguardia-airports-security-robot-is-giving-women-the-creeps/  in May 2018

new-orleanslouisiana01062019-photo-mardi

Also Mardis Gras this year...Except it isnt/  Its universal studios 2013 ( https://insidethemagic.net/2013/02/universal-orlando-shows-off-four-new-mardi-gras-floats-joined-by-cajun-cuisine-and-live-music-when-the-event-kicks-off-feb-9/ )

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/new-orleanslouisiana01062019-photo-mardi-gras-600w-1465763198.jpg[/img]

This one is Alambama in 2010...But was stolen from Getty images.  https://www.npr.org/2016/02/08/465758335/for-mardi-gras-les-bon-temps-rouler-in-mobile-ala-too?t=1565638916759

The Scuba shots were stolen off a diving trip report from a dive centre in 2016 (on their blog)

Pretty sure its the same group/theft factory as the others.  Ticks all the boxes.  Except this time its stolen from everywhere from Getty images to personal blogs and Russian clothing mail order catalogues.

These guys do have good upresing software.

And yet again, Shutterstocks review procedure to let this through is utterly utterly pathetic.  There is no checking.  No checking on the captions, no checking on the keywords, no checking the description matches the image.  No validation of suspicious profiles at all.  Nothing.  They dont care.

2 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Shutterstocks review procedure to let this through is utterly utterly pathetic.  There is no checking.  No checking on the captions, no checking on the keywords, no checking the description matches the image.  No validation of suspicious profiles at all.  Nothing.  They dont care.

While I agree, don't get "Alexed".  :(

Very little verification.  And most of it are from countries with little or no copyright laws and other things making actual enforcement near impossible 

And obvious checkpoint would be to audit all new accounts and not allow any payouts for 3-6 months.

But obviously the best solution is to actually review the images, captions and keywords and check similars.  But that would take time and delay the quest for a bigger and bigger library.  It would require a human and less AI.  Maybe do it for new accounts specifically and/or ones that have suddenly started earning a lot more money.

4 hours ago, Elijah Lovkoff said:

It is quite unbelievable indeed. I don't understand how is it possible that Alex is still banned. The guy was really dedicating lots of time to helping others, a lot of time have been invested in exposing thieves and he is the one that is being banned and monitored. 
I really would like to see some transparency on SS part in explaining why one of the leaders of this community just disappeared.

+2

And the port is still active. Incredible! Now they are chasing two similars - good luck ... 

5 hours ago, Elijah Lovkoff said:

It is quite unbelievable indeed. I don't understand how is it possible that Alex is still banned. The guy was really dedicating lots of time to helping others, a lot of time have been invested in exposing thieves and he is the one that is being banned and monitored. 
I really would like to see some transparency on SS part in explaining why one of the leaders of this community just disappeared.

He's active on MSG so hasnt disappeared.  He was banned and now is on moderation here for a time period.

When forum posters blatantly violate the guidelines and/or TOS of our forum to the point where it's no longer accidental or occasional, it becomes a problem. Said person is welcome to post, create topics, etc. as long as they stay within the aforementioned lanes. 

Reporting suspected portfolio issues of others is fine. At the same time, doing so in a way that defames Shutterstock and creates an unwelcoming or uninviting environment for contributors who may be focused on their own work or are just getting started, is against the spirit, intent, and goals of this forum.. Anyone is welcome to DM me a portfolio to pass along to our compliance team, or email compliance@shutterstock.com directly with your concerns. 

Please set any and all expectations to include the fact that Shutterstock will not remove a portfolio without a fair review of the content. We do not operate on hunches and insinuation, and under most circumstances this review takes some time. 

39 minutes ago, jeffde said:

Please set any and all expectations to include the fact that Shutterstock will not remove a portfolio without a fair review of the content. We do not operate on hunches and insinuation, and under most circumstances this review takes some time. 

These are not hunches or insinuations though. There is evidence presented here that should lead to the immediate closure of that account.  It was the same in the last thread of this nature where nothing happened for weeks. (And I think still nothing happened as of today?)

You have to understand why we feel frustrated and as if Shutterstock did not care about thse issues....?

2 minutes ago, Firn said:

These are not hunches or insinuations though. There is evidence presented here that should lead to the immediate closure of that account. So was in the last thread of this nature where nothing happened for weeks.
You have to understand our frustration here?

+ 10 - these ports need no further investigation. It’s so obvious.

5 minutes ago, Firn said:

These are not hunches or insinuations though. There is evidence presented here that should lead to the immediate closure of that account.  It was the same in the last thread of this nature where nothing happened for weeks. (And I think still nothing happened as of today?)

You have to understand why we feel frustrated and as if Shutterstock did not care about thse issues....?

Still needs to go through a proper legal review and sign-off

Let me know which threads from the past have been missed and we'll resurface them. 

3 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

Last words from me in this discussion. I suggest that next time someone stumbles over a port fielled with obviously stolen images report it to ‘compliance’ and see what happen.

Ive done that for everyone posted just to make sure they're aware.  I haven't once received a reply even confirming the mail was received or read.

13 minutes ago, jeffde said:

Still needs to go through a proper legal review and sign-off

Let me know which threads from the past have been missed and we'll resurface them. 

Would gladly do so if you (?) had not deleted the thread.... the one with the atomic bomb editorial contributor. At least before the thread was deleted the portfolio was still up....

41 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

I dont really want a thank you, just merely an acknowledgment that the email has been received and read.  That way at least you know SS is aware.

This is what you get when you email our compliance team at compliance@shutterstock.com

autoreply.png

OK ive emailed Submit@ and infringementclaims@shutterstock.com

Neither returned any reply.

If that is the correct address, it might be worth adding it to the FAQ/Knowledge base online as all of the search hits for things like that return the above 2 addresses with no hits on compliance at all.

People who arent on this forum may well be completely unaware the address exists.

18 hours ago, jeffde said:

At the same time, doing so in a way that defames Shutterstock and creates an unwelcoming or uninviting environment for contributors who may be focused on their own work or are just getting started, is against the spirit, intent, and goals of this forum..

I would argue that silencing, censorship and threats of account closures of contributor accounts also creates "an unwelcoming or uninviting environment for contributors". 

I admit that I over-stepped some "rules" since there procedures in place to report suspected accounts, of which I have been notified both in public and private. Perhaps it's a matter that I care far too much, as I cannot just stand idle as there's injustice occurring which is affecting my livelihood (SS make up something like 40-50% of my total stock income). I often feel outright upset / angry / frustrated that there isn't a procedure in place to prevent such accounts from uploading and secondly, the slow pace in which such accounts aren't taken down.  This comes during a period where the industry is experiencing real threats by the likes of scummy free-download agencies such as Pixabay, Pexels and Unsplash, as well as diminishing returns per downloads due to supply outpacing demand.  

I must adhere to rules set out in both the contributor contract and forum guidelines but would request that SS take a more transparent approach to third parties notifying suspicious accounts and the action taken. Keep in mind that during the "wackamole campaign" something like 300 accounts were flagged and shut down in a relatively short period. I believe that overall this achieved many goals and shone a positive light on both contributors and SS, of which if the wider media picked up would have helped the brand. Understandably, some accounts that were legitimate were flagged of which a robust procedure would eventually mitigate. 

I reiterate that silencing/punishing me and others that only desire the best for SS tarnishes your image and creates "an unwelcoming or uninviting environment for contributors". I would urge you to avoid shooting the messenger in the future and focus your energies on those that do real harm to your business.     

Yours sincerely,

Alex