Hello everyone! I am trying to move my portfolio into Video and i am looking for some video camera to shoot 4K videos. Any advise?

Right now i own Nikon D610 but it doesn't have any video stabilizer. And i prefer to buy some video camera. Maybe have something in cost less than 1000 USD?

Thank :)

I'm currently using a $250 GoPro Hero 6 as a "starter" 4K camera for stock.  Its 4K image is pretty crisp, even with its sharpness set to low, albeit I believe its color space is only 8-bit 4:2:0, as opposed to more expensive cameras' 10 to 12-bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, and it records in more highly compressed than other cameras MP4 H.264.  It's got pretty good image stabilization as long as you move in a straight line, and it does some cool things like time-lapse, but it's limited to its fixed focal-length ultra wide-angle lens.

The GoPro has 3 fields of view:  Superview, Wide and Linear.  In 4K video, it only has 2 fields of view, Superview and Wide.  In photo modes, which are useful for doing time-lapse, it offers Wide and Linear.  Superview is the widest fisheye view, Wide is somewhat narrower and Linear is narrower still.  Linear flattens out the curvilinear fishbowl distortion.  Even in Linear, the image is still mighty wide.

Here's an example: 

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1031832230-deerfield-beach-florida--usa---june

ProTunes settings:  4K 30, Wide, GoPro Color, contrast reduced to -100% in post, Sharpness Low, 5500K White Balance, AE Shift -1, Exposure Locked, 1/60th Sec. Shutter Speed, EIS On, shot from my bicycle.

I'll probably move into a $299 Panasonic Lumix as a second "starter" 4K camera for stock, to get some zoom range into telephoto.  If stock begins to pay out $100s if not $1,000s per month, I'll splurge for a more expensive camera.

14 hours ago, Vladimir Borozenets said:

Hello everyone! I am trying to move my portfolio into Video and i am looking for some video camera to shoot 4K videos. Any advise?

Right now i own Nikon D610 but it doesn't have any video stabilizer. And i prefer to buy some video camera. Maybe have something in cost less than 1000 USD?

Thank :)

I'm using a Sony A6500 and am getting good results.  The only downside is that when you're shooting using the LCD screen on the back of the camera, it dims to almost unviewable levels.  I wish they would fix that in a firmware update.

I also use the Canon 5D MkIV, but that's probably way out of your price range.  

These couple clips were shot with the Sony A6500 in 4K (handheld):

stock-footage-july-daytona-beach-florida

stock-footage-beautiful-close-up-of-a-wi

stock-footage-a-blue-crab-callinectes-sa

With Sony announcing new cameras now (and soon), the A6500 should start coming down in price.

There are no two opinions about this - the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. Yes, no sensor stabilization but there are many options to stabilize your camera/footage. 12 BIT Raw video just trumps any shortcomings this little gem of a camera might have and lack of stabilization isn't one. Have you seen sensor stabilization on professional cameras - no.

3 hours ago, pavelgr said:

There are no two opinions about this - the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. Yes, no sensor stabilization but there are many options to stabilize your camera/footage. 12 BIT Raw video just trumps any shortcomings this little gem of a camera might have and lack of stabilization isn't one. Have you seen sensor stabilization on professional cameras - no.

Is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6pYpeLPjM

If yes, I see more shortcomings then just stabilization, like no autofocus, no flip screen (or tilted), very low battery life........For me those are the most important features.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, Phil Lowe said:

I'm using a Sony A6500 and am getting good results.  The only downside is that when you're shooting using the LCD screen on the back of the camera, it dims to almost unviewable levels.  I wish they would fix that in a firmware update.

I also use the Canon 5D MkIV, but that's probably way out of your price range.  

These couple clips were shot with the Sony A6500 in 4K (handheld):

stock-footage-july-daytona-beach-florida

stock-footage-beautiful-close-up-of-a-wi

stock-footage-a-blue-crab-callinectes-sa

With Sony announcing new cameras now (and soon), the A6500 should start coming down in price.

wow, I would never recommend the sony alpha 6500 to focus on video as it has huge rolling shutter issue...

1 hour ago, AsiaTravel said:

wow, I would never recommend the sony alpha 6500 to focus on video as it has huge rolling shutter issue...

OK.  Well, rolling shutter is common in every type of camera with a CMOS sensor that shoots progressive video, especially 4K.  Yes, some cameras handle it better than others, but it's not an issue unless you're swish panning. Use good technique with whatever camera you shoot, and you won't have problems.

22 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

OK.  Well, rolling shutter is common in every type of camera with a CMOS sensor that shoots progressive video, especially 4K. 

This statement is completely wrong.  I could list you dozens of professional CMOS 4K and HD camcorders that have no visible rolling shutter . . . and the a6500 sure isn't one of the.  Neither are the A7 cameras.  AsiaTravel is exactly right.

This thread really has a lot of bad advice on it.  Sure, you can buy a cheap 4K camera and shoot tons of video that will be accepted by SS.  But accepted isn't the same as having material that customers will actually want to buy.  Don't waste time and money on cameras that aren't up to the task of producing the kind of images people will actually spend money on.  Yeah, you might make one or two sales, but that falls way short of what you need to make it worth your time and expense.  If you can't afford new, then buy used. There are some great deals out there on professional caliber used cameras that will blow the doors off the stuff being suggested on this thread.

Doug,  I was also interested in this thread as a source of info and I know that you know about video but didn't find your post helpful on advice of what to buy as far as a video camera in the price range asked by the OP. Really not trying to be an ass ( I know how these threads can go) just trying to use you/your experience to make an informed decision.

46 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I could list you dozens of professional CMOS 4K and HD camcorders that have no visible rolling shutter

46 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

There are some great deals out there on professional caliber used cameras

Please give us some brands of cameras that would answer the OP's question and where to purchase one. That would be most helpful.

Global shutter cameras - even on CMOS sensors - don't exhibit rolling shutter.  They are thousands more in cost than the OP states he can afford.  

I have a Canon XF300 camera that I paid $5,000 brand new.  It was approved for broadcast use by the BBC, which is why I got it.  It has rolling shutter.  

You don't ignore an otherwise perfectly good camera in your price range because of rolling shutter.  You learn to work around the camera's limitations, otherwise, plan on spending in the tens of thousands of dollars for a "perfect" camera. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, @Rudra Narayan Mitra has built an excellent video port using the Sony A6300. 

5 hours ago, mandritoiu said:

You forget, again, that, while hardware performance matters indeed, content is king, after all.

This is how we can explain why clips made with a tiny Hasselblad 1" camera, earn 5-6 more per clip, than yours (inspite of your $5-10,000 camcorders)

"As much as I "hate" to admit it (just kidding)," I tend to agree with Mr.  @Phil Lowe 😉

Content might be king, it's still have to be accepted first... I had much more problem to get video of alpha 6500 with a pan or motion for this exact problem (if not much move in your clip, it's not an issue) than even the crap quality of the mavic air. I am not saying that my technique is best and there is no way to improve things, but then I would not recommend the camera to a beginner in video.

If anybody want to buy a 4K camera and consider it, I would really investigate this issue first. I really hope the next version will correct it as I really love the camera for still.

1 hour ago, mandritoiu said:

Of course. The quality must be good enough to be accepted here. 

My point is that there is no need to shoot microstock clips with $10,000 camcorders, when clips shot with a tiny 1" sensor Hasselblad camera are outselling them. 

Of course it's good to have great tools, but they are not a prerequisite to be successful in microstock.

Content is King!

+1

OMG!  Don't tell anyone I just agreed with you!  

On 8/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, Phil Lowe said:

You don't ignore an otherwise perfectly good camera in your price range because of rolling shutter.  You learn to work around the camera's limitations, otherwise, plan on spending in the tens of thousands of dollars for a "perfect" camera. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, @Rudra Narayan Mitra has built an excellent video port using the Sony A6300. 

While I agree 100% you don't have to spend 1000000000$ for camera, ignoring rolling shutter as I did when buying a6500 was a half mistake for me. It does limit a lot at what you can do while shooting non static clips, from a boat for instance. I have check your Rudra pf, and yes it can shoot very good static video (not much motion in the 30 first videos on his first page). I still bought it as I am more into photo and use drone for video nowadays, if I wanted to focus on video I would more likely get a panasonic I think.

And if the a6500 is a otherwise perfectly good camera, why not just tell the OP that it has this issue so he can make a better informed decision? I remember seeing a ranking in speed reading ability of the captor, and yes the a6500 was pretty low on the list.

1 hour ago, AsiaTravel said:

And if the a6500 is a otherwise perfectly good camera, why not just tell the OP that it has this issue so he can make a better informed decision?

Because I haven't run into the issue but once - same as on my XF300 - and wrote it off to user error.  It really doesn't affect the work I'm doing with it at all.  

On 8/11/2019 at 3:38 AM, Phil Lowe said:

Global shutter cameras - even on CMOS sensors - don't exhibit rolling shutter.  They are thousands more in cost than the OP states he can afford.  

I have a Canon XF300 camera that I paid $5,000 brand new.  It was approved for broadcast use by the BBC, which is why I got it.  It has rolling shutter.  

Thank you, Sir, Phil Lowe. Coming from you is a great honour for me!

I would like to mention here when I bought A6300, four "P"s were under consideration - Price (the cost of acquiring a new camera) , Product ( value - what I get against paying that much), Purpose (the way I wished to use it), pay up (how much time it would take to get the cost paid up and to make profit, thereafter). I think in above discussion for OP, the last point needs to be added. More costly instrument / tool (read camera), the more time is needed to get the cost paid up. Thanks everyone.

Best regards,

Rudra