Steve Cukrov

Shutterstock on FFA

9 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

So its an SOD and we earn a percentage of what SS earns

Well, if they're selling them @ 17$ a pop at FAA, a contributor's share is going to be no more than 30% of the percentage that SS gets after FAA takes their cut.

So, if FAA grabs 60% of the $17, SS takes 40%, and you might get 30% of that. So, about $2.

Versus whatever the contributor priced their work for sale at FAA -- $20 / $30 / $40 / whatever.

2 hours ago, mandritoiu said:

Anyway, I must lower my mark-up even further (from $5 to $2.76 for the 8" print and from $10 to $8.05 for the 30" print) to be able to compete with the SS collection.

Dayum 😐

That's insane.

Couple more questions to be answered please SS @Anna Shutterstock

I have four images in the SS Collection, if I remove those images from SS I assume they will then be removed from SS Collection on FAA as SS no longer has that image to license?

Are there plans for more images to be added to the SS Collection on FAA?

5 hours ago, Mihai_Andritoiu said:

Anyway, I must lower my mark-up even further (from $5 to $2.76 for the 8" print and from $10 to $8.05 for the 30" print) to be able to compete with the SS collection.

Cold day in hell before I would do that. SS has put you (and others with an FAA account) in a really bad situation.

It is clear to me that SS knows about the microstock world, but they know very little about the on-line art world, or the art world in general for that matter.

(and if their contributors are their assets, asset management could also use some improvement)

4 hours ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

@Anna Shutterstock

Please clarify if removing images from the Shutterstock database will prevent them from being sold on FAA under the Shutterstock name, and how long it will be before they will be removed.

Obviously it will - and the best way to find out how fast is to remove those images from Shuttertock.

Haven't seen any of mine in their collection so far but rest assured I will promptly remove the image from the database here. I would rather lose the potential of an SS subscription sale than a potential FAA print sale from my own collection there. Have noticed my wife has one image in the collection. Might recommend she does as I described here.

Poor poor show shutterstock, if you stomp on us any more we'll become nothing more than the Sh*t on the sh*t at the bottom of your shoe.

Those are very low fees Mihai.  It's a shame you have to do that.  For that range of sizes, mine are at $10-$110.

FAA haven't picked any of mine yet, and I hope it stays that way.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:48 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi guys,

We collected a number of questions about this partnership and put them together in this FAQ:

How long has this deal been in place?
The Fine Art America partnership went live in February 2019. We engage in new partnerships regularly, so we do not publically announce all of them.

How are the images available on FAA selected?  
FAA has curated from Shutterstock’s entire collection.

How much do I get paid?
When an FAA customer orders an item with your image on it, you earn a percentage of the earnings that Shutterstock receives. The earnings are determined from the value of the whole item, including the frame, glass, etc. Your earnings percentage is based on your tier and will show up in the Single and Other column in the Earnings Summary.

Do I get paid for every item? Or every order? If one of FAA’s customers buys two items with the same image, do I get two downloads?
Yes. Customers purchase an object which incorporates your artwork, so each object produces a payout. For example, if an FAA customer buys 100 totebags, the contributor receives a payout for each of the 100 licenses.

Who sets the price?
FAA sets the price of the products available on their website.

Can I opt out?
No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). 

Why is Shutterstock offering the same images I have already posted on FAA?
FAA curates their offerings from our whole collection and because Shutterstock represents your work in a non-exclusive basis, duplicate content is possible in a lot of situations, both here and with other places you may license your content.

Please feel free to contact our support team if you have additional questions. Thanks!

Hi Anna,

how does this work?

I know at least one of my images being offered on FAA. Now I found a website "pixels", where this image is offered as well. There is a watermark on the right bottom of the image - it's the logo of Fine Art America. "Uploaded on June 19th, 2019". "Image provided by shutterstock". 

May FAA resell our images? Is it an affiliate? How are we getting payed for this? Can you give us further information about this deal?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

42 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hi Anna,

how does this work?

I know at least one of my images being offered on FAA. Now I found a website "pixels", where this image is offered as well. There is a watermark on the right bottom of the image - it's the logo of Fine Art America. "Uploaded on June 19th, 2019". "Image provided by shutterstock". 

May FAA resell our images? Is it an affiliate? How are we getting payed for this? Can you give us further information about this deal?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Pixels is part of Fine Art America.

6 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thank you, Algol, I didn't know that. Are there even more affiliates?

Yeah they have at least DesignerPrints.com where they sell your stuff at a HUGE discount, effectively  going around the prices you have set for your images. Now, if they do that same with the pics from SS, it will go from bad to worse really quick.

Here's a real life example of what Designer Prints does:

Normal Price: $68.00

Discount: $47.70

2 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Yeah they have at least DesignerPrints.com where they sell your stuff at a HUGE discount, effectively  going around the prices you have set for your images. Now, if they do that same with the pics from SS, it will go from bad to worse really quick.

Here's a real life example of what Designer Prints does:

Normal Price: $68.00

Discount: $47.70

WRONG

Designerprints is something FAA contributors have the OPTION to sign up for. It is not automatically and not mandatory and totally up to the contributor

FAA doesn't "sell your stuff at a huge discount". The contributor does.

Designerprints is for Licensed Interior Designers that have to apply for it. Not everybody can buy from Designerprints.

4 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Designerprints is for Licensed Interior Designers that have to apply for it. Not everybody can buy from Designerprints

I wouldn't be so sure about that, from what I've seen.

And yeah, I've opted out since, but initially they had opted me IN without asking me. I had to go find out how / what/ why/ where.

slightly off topic, but somewhat related. some members here may have some knowledge on this. if so, I would appreciate input on it: I am noticing that several photo prints or framed pictures are offered and sold on FAA that are straight photos of cars (details of hood), trucks, tractors....(etc.) clearly catching the logo and or brand name label of these vehicles. does this "wall art" (thus usually single prints) fall under different judgement and "allowed"? these would not even be accepted as editorial of illustrative photos here I am afraid, so much concentrate on the brand and logos (BMW, FORD, what have you). but perhaps as targets to be hung in a living room/ board room, what have you they may fly? just guessing. or the contributor/ seller is taking a real risk offering these? Tx.

In my opinion it is not allowed to sell editorial images for such purposes. This wall art could be bought for commercial purposes as well, for example for the decoration of a meeting room, a hotel lobby, a restaurant or whatever.

1 minute ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

In my opinion it is not allowed to sell editorial images for such purposes. This wall art could be bought for commercial purposes as well, for example for the decoration of a meeting room, a hotel lobby, a restaurant or whatever.

Thank you Wilm, that's how I felt about it. But... what do I know : )?

13 minutes ago, Forum Mihai said:

I also use to have some product shots of alcoholic beverages there and I even sold them a few times.

However, FAA informed me that they received cease and desist DMCA request from the lawyers hired by the brand owners.

I immediately deleted all offending material, not just what was mentioned in that letter.

In my opinion, this is how FAA operates. They allow material infringing copyrights to be sold and they wait for the copyright owners to explicitly ask for removal.

It's like walking on thin ice, if you ask me.

Thanks very much Mihai. I don't have any such "brand promoting" or displaying stuff, just made me curious after popping up such sales on faa how those contributors get away with it in photos. I suppose it's a totally (?) different scenario if these logos are part of paintings or drawings. Then they may be (seem to be) allowed.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, Matt Gibson said:

Are there plans for more images to be added to the SS Collection on FAA?

I think the answer that addresses that question is this:

On 8/13/2019 at 9:48 AM, Anna Shutterstock said:

FAA selects the images it wants to sell from the entire SS database.  So even if you were to remove the four images from SS that you didn't want sold at FAA, FAA could still choose 4 more.

IMHO, it's a bad deal for us. 

I just ended up here trying to find out what the deal was after seeing some of my images for sale there under the SS account.  I make thousands a month at FAA under my own account, and only hundreds here on SS, and I definitely won't be sacrificing my earnings at FAA to keep my portfolio available for licensing here.  We need better answers to this and an option to opt out of this program, because for me anyway, this is unacceptable.  Given the situation, I'd rather remove my whole portfolio from SS than have them competing with and undercutting my portfolio over there.  Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon or I guess I'll start removing my images here...

On 9/26/2019 at 7:19 PM, Dave Allen Photography said:

I just ended up here trying to find out what the deal was after seeing some of my images for sale there under the SS account.  I make thousands a month at FAA under my own account, and only hundreds here on SS, and I definitely won't be sacrificing my earnings at FAA to keep my portfolio available for licensing here.  We need better answers to this and an option to opt out of this program, because for me anyway, this is unacceptable.  Given the situation, I'd rather remove my whole portfolio from SS than have them competing with and undercutting my portfolio over there.  Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon or I guess I'll start removing my images here...

Brilliant work!

Indeed, if you're making that much on FAA, then definitely don't let the penny stock get in the way of your earnings, it's just not worth it. They could pick all of your images for the SS collection there and you'd be shit out of luck!

Your BRP and Smokies pics are stunning!

On 8/13/2019 at 10:48 AM, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi guys,

We collected a number of questions about this partnership and put them together in this FAQ:

How long has this deal been in place?
The Fine Art America partnership went live in February 2019. We engage in new partnerships regularly, so we do not publically announce all of them.

How much do I get paid?
When an FAA customer orders an item with your image on it, you earn a percentage of the earnings that Shutterstock receives. The earnings are determined from the value of the whole item, including the frame, glass, etc. Your earnings percentage is based on your tier and will show up in the Single and Other column in the Earnings Summary.

Do I get paid for every item? Or every order? If one of FAA’s customers buys two items with the same image, do I get two downloads?
Yes. Customers purchase an object which incorporates your artwork, so each object produces a payout. For example, if an FAA customer buys 100 totebags, the contributor receives a payout for each of the 100 licenses.

Who sets the price?
FAA sets the price of the products available on their website.

Can I opt out?
No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). 

Why is Shutterstock offering the same images I have already posted on FAA?
FAA curates their offerings from our whole collection and because Shutterstock represents your work in a non-exclusive basis, duplicate content is possible in a lot of situations, both here and with other places you may license your content.

Please feel free to contact our support team if you have additional questions. Thanks!

Hello dear Anna will I have any luck with this partnership, because over 1 year at Shutterstock was sold only 54 images. What should I really photograph to be sold with high demand?