Steve Cukrov

Shutterstock on FFA

The only reason SS would go through the effort of all this is to keep a majority of the profit for themselves... if not all the profit considering the lack of transparency. Just another betrayal of trust with our property. They undercut the artists own account price and channel the sales to them instead of you.

We’re working on collecting the answers, and will share when we’ve got a completely picture (haha pun not initially intended but i’m proud of it.) There’s no malicious intent to undercut anyone.

Given my past experience with FAA, I would rather not see my work on that site ever again.  I purposely chose SS to represent my work online, not FAA.  Not Walmart.  And if the only way to keep my work from being displayed for sale through such sites is to remove it here, I will do so and use other agencies exclusively to represent my work.  I didn't sign up for SS only to see my work promoted on these other sites, especially for a measly $.36 cents, when I could make more if I sold it without SS on the site itself.

3 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

Given my past experience with FAA, I would rather not see my work on that site ever again.  I purposely chose SS to represent my work online, not FAA.  Not Walmart.  And if the only way to keep my work from being displayed for sale through such sites is to remove it here, I will do so and use other agencies exclusively to represent my work.  I didn't sign up for SS only to see my work promoted on these other sites, especially for a measly $.36 cents, when I could make more if I sold it without SS on the site itself.

+1

As long as SS has no deal with RedBubble or, to a somewhat lesser extend, Zazzle, I am good.

Personally I never quite understood all the objections against FAA. Overall it is a good company. Sure, they do things I don't like (like the deal they have with Conde Naste), but still. ......

There are individuals there that make over a million dollars per year. For me they are not that good (obviously), but they are a good seller for me.

So can we just get back to peacefully waiting for an official answer from the powers-that-be.

15 minutes ago, Steve Cukrov said:

So can we just get back to peacefully waiting for an official answer from the powers-that-be.

The answer will be similar is in this thread. Nothing to get all worked up about - Shutterstock is looking at all sorts of outlets to sell images, that's good for the contributors.

"Hi Everyone!

We have information to address the concerns raised by this community.

As some of you might already be aware, Art.com has been in partnership with Shutterstock for some time now. The reason it is available on Walmart.com was due to the acquisition of Art.com by Walmart at the end of last year.

Regarding payouts for Print on Demand (POD) sites like Art.com, contributors have the potential for increased earnings, as payouts are determined based on the final retail price of the artwork - not just the cost of the image itself. Since POD partnerships obtain a “one-time use” license, contributors receive a payout every time their image is licensed.. For example, if multiple customers buy the image, the contributor of that image will get paid multiple times - for every single sale. The sale will appear in single & other on your earnings summary.

Lastly, while we don't have an opt-out feature for specific assets or partnerships, this feedback was provided to our Contributor Product team and they are currently reviewing all possibilities to improve the contributor experience."

Leonard,

While you answer might be the same one we will get from SS, I don't think anyone was uploading and pricing their images on Art.com or Walmart.

It doesn't' answer the question regarding the many people who already place their images on FFA and SS is undercutting them.

So now you have 2 other entities taking a piece of the pie.

As I said before, people can buy it here and you get $0.25 - $0.38 or $16.00 or so if it is commercial

What would be better?

A STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images:

- For your own personal, non-commercial use (not for resale, download, distribution, or any commercial use of any kind)

AN ENHANCED IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images (which rights are in addition to 1-5 above and exclusive to Enhanced Image Licenses):

= In wall art (and without requiring further creative or functional elements) for decorative purposes in a commercial space owned by you or your client, and not for sale.

1 hour ago, Rudy Umans said:

As I said before, people can buy it here and you get $0.25 - $0.38

That's a subscription price. How many people who want to buy a single image for their wall have a yearly subscription?

Sure, they might have it, but it means they're doing something else with a larger amount of pics.

To get a single pic or two for your wall you'd probably buy a 2-image prepaid pack, which brings an ODD for the contributor. So, at the very least they'd pay $29$ for two pics, and then they'd have to pay for the printing on top, wherever they decide to do it.

14 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

That's a subscription price. How many people who want to buy a single image for their wall have a yearly subscription?

Sure, they might have it, but it means they're doing something else with a larger amount of pics.

To get a single pic or two for your wall you'd probably buy a 2-image prepaid pack, which brings an ODD for the contributor. So, at the very least they'd pay $29$ for two pics, and then they'd have to pay for the printing on top, wherever they decide to do it.

worst case scenario it cost an EL, which is still a lot less than buying a decent size print on FAA. Even your scenario of $14.50 per print is still a lot less. (even included the print price, which is not as much as you might think)

But the point is not what the customer pays, but how much the contributor gets and to me it seems that is a lot better through an SS deal with a POD site than from a purchase directly from SS, which is at the most an EL and that is how much nowadays for contributors?  $16-$20?.

The difference between buying from a POD and from  SS directly is convenience and a lot of people are willing to pay good money for convenience and that is something contributors here can profit from. Maybe it's me, but I still fail to see what the problem is. 

My annual revenue from FAA  exceeds my annual income from SS by a great margin btw. almost the same for my Amazon store

Oh, I agree that for us the most important thing is how much WE get out of a sale. If SS is undercutting whatever price we have set for FAA sales, it's just not kosher. I'm sure everyone has their own pricing policy there, but personally I expect to get more than the old EL price from FAA for a print, even at the smallest size. (BTW, even with the new ELs you CAN get more than the old price was, but more often it's less, or much less).

Hi guys,

We collected a number of questions about this partnership and put them together in this FAQ:

How long has this deal been in place?
The Fine Art America partnership went live in February 2019. We engage in new partnerships regularly, so we do not publically announce all of them.

How are the images available on FAA selected?  
FAA has curated from Shutterstock’s entire collection.

How much do I get paid?
When an FAA customer orders an item with your image on it, you earn a percentage of the earnings that Shutterstock receives. The earnings are determined from the value of the whole item, including the frame, glass, etc. Your earnings percentage is based on your tier and will show up in the Single and Other column in the Earnings Summary.

Do I get paid for every item? Or every order? If one of FAA’s customers buys two items with the same image, do I get two downloads?
Yes. Customers purchase an object which incorporates your artwork, so each object produces a payout. For example, if an FAA customer buys 100 totebags, the contributor receives a payout for each of the 100 licenses.

Who sets the price?
FAA sets the price of the products available on their website.

Can I opt out?
No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). 

Why is Shutterstock offering the same images I have already posted on FAA?
FAA curates their offerings from our whole collection and because Shutterstock represents your work in a non-exclusive basis, duplicate content is possible in a lot of situations, both here and with other places you may license your content.

Please feel free to contact our support team if you have additional questions. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

FAA curates their offerings from our whole collection and because Shutterstock represents your work in a non-exclusive basis, duplicate content is possible in a lot of situations, both here and with other places you may license your content.

Please feel free to contact our support team if you have additional questions. Thanks!

this is not duplicate content in various place, it's duplicate content IN ONE place.  i actually thought SS was against duplicate content?

5 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi guys,

We collected a number of questions about this partnership and put them together in this FAQ:

How long has this deal been in place?
The Fine Art America partnership went live in February 2019. We engage in new partnerships regularly, so we do not publically announce all of them.

How are the images available on FAA selected?  
FAA has curated from Shutterstock’s entire collection.

How much do I get paid?
When an FAA customer orders an item with your image on it, you earn a percentage of the earnings that Shutterstock receives. The earnings are determined from the value of the whole item, including the frame, glass, etc. Your earnings percentage is based on your tier and will show up in the Single and Other column in the Earnings Summary.

Do I get paid for every item? Or every order? If one of FAA’s customers buys two items with the same image, do I get two downloads?
Yes. Customers purchase an object which incorporates your artwork, so each object produces a payout. For example, if an FAA customer buys 100 totebags, the contributor receives a payout for each of the 100 licenses.

Who sets the price?
FAA sets the price of the products available on their website.

Can I opt out?
No, participation in our partnership deals is part of the Shutterstock Contributor agreement (TOS). 

Thanks for your answers - not sure why it takes over a week to get answers questions that you should have at your fingertips.

But I still have an issue with the last point. You are undercutting contributors who already sell on FFA and that is not acceptable, and you need a way to remedy it on an item by item basis.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:39 AM, Leonard Whistler said:

The answer will be similar is in this thread. Nothing to get all worked up about - Shutterstock is looking at all sorts of outlets to sell images, that's good for the contributors.

"Hi Everyone!

We have information to address the concerns raised by this community.

As some of you might already be aware, Art.com has been in partnership with Shutterstock for some time now. The reason it is available on Walmart.com was due to the acquisition of Art.com by Walmart at the end of last year.

Regarding payouts for Print on Demand (POD) sites like Art.com, contributors have the potential for increased earnings, as payouts are determined based on the final retail price of the artwork - not just the cost of the image itself. Since POD partnerships obtain a “one-time use” license, contributors receive a payout every time their image is licensed.. For example, if multiple customers buy the image, the contributor of that image will get paid multiple times - for every single sale. The sale will appear in single & other on your earnings summary.

Lastly, while we don't have an opt-out feature for specific assets or partnerships, this feedback was provided to our Contributor Product team and they are currently reviewing all possibilities to improve the contributor experience."

incorrect.  For this one their is no intention to improve the contributor experience based on above information

2 minutes ago, Steve Cukrov said:

You are undercutting contributors who already sell on FFA and that is not acceptable.......

• Walmart does that with their Great Value and Equate  house brands.
  • Those products are sold beside the name brand products at a much cheaper price.
  • In lots of cases the packaging is almost identical -obviously supplied by the same company.

IMO ...... You guys are making a fuss over nothing. But if it's really important then perhaps its best to remove those images from Shutterstock.

1 minute ago, chris kolaczan said:

What percentage?

If I'm getting a $1 SOD for a sale that I would normally receive $50 for (when I sell my image at FAA myself) there is a problem

15% of 30% of a certain number

17 minutes ago, Steve Cukrov said:

Thanks for your answers - not sure why it takes over a week to get answers questions that you should have at your fingertips.

i know, i'm actually scared they didn't have these answers available, but based on standards on contributor support, not unexpected 

5 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Well... I am going to match the price for my 5 curated photos.

50% of that price is clearly much better than the 30% I will get from (probably) that 50% SS is getting from FAA.

But I'll keep an eye on those SODs. Selling them through SS, will also improve the SS rank for those photos, potentially triggering additional SS sales.

i'm hoping SS has more clout and was able to get more than 50% . But it is telling that they will not reveal the deal