Steve Cukrov

Shutterstock on FFA

SS is now offering our images on FineArtAmerica

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/shutterstock.html

Looks like many of the images were added June 2019 - but their 'About' area says "Shutterstock joined Fine Art America on October 16th, 2018."

Just another deal we know nothing about until it is uncovered by a contributor.

How much do we get?  

Why can't we opt out?

What if SS offers the same image we already have on FFA?

I left FFA because there was one individual there that I knew of, who was stealing images from SS and posting them there for sale as his own work.  FFA actually would ban anyone who called out such image theft, so that's when I lost all respect for that agency and pulled all my images off it.

P.S.  I found one of the images there for sale by SS that I had pulled off that site. ::SIGH::

18 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

I left FFA because there was one individual there that I knew of, who was stealing images from SS and posting them there for sale as his own work.  FFA actually would ban anyone who called out such image theft, so that's when I lost all respect for that agency and pulled all my images off it.

P.S.  I found one of the images there for sale by SS that I had pulled off that site. ::SIGH::

Now you can have the delightful full circle where someone steals an image from FFA, uploads and sells it on SS who then upload and resell it on FFA as well.

Just now, Richard Whitcombe said:

Now you can have the delightful full circle where someone steals an image from FFA, uploads and sells it on SS who then upload and resell it on FFA as well.

An Infinity Loop of seedy desperation and crime.  :(

22 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Thanks for sharing this discovery @Steve Cukrov.

Not very happy about it, because SS is charging less than me. Now I might have lower my prices to avoid competing with myself.

628738822_FAAme.JPG.5cac367aaa95bdd83b4ff9af416148c6.JPG467200296_FAAss.JPG.411516e24d1702dd03e2563358789302.JPG

I can see 5 of mine being mirrored there, maybe not the end of the world.

I can also see one from you Steve and one from @Phil Lowe (guess which one?).

I didn't really discover it - found it over at MSG - and since it hadn't been mentioned here yet I decided to bring it up where we might get some answers.

7 minutes ago, Steve Cukrov said:

I didn't really discover it - found it over at MSG - and since it hadn't been mentioned here yet I decided to bring it up where we might get some answers.

Who is MSG?

45 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Thanks for sharing this discovery @Steve Cukrov.

Not very happy about it, because SS is charging less than me. Now I might have lower my prices to avoid competing with myself.

628738822_FAAme.JPG.5cac367aaa95bdd83b4ff9af416148c6.JPG467200296_FAAss.JPG.411516e24d1702dd03e2563358789302.JPG

I can see 5 of mine being mirrored there, maybe not the end of the world.

I can also see one from you Steve and one from @Phil Lowe (guess which one?).

Well, CRAP!!!

I certainly hope I find none of mine there this time!

4 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

FFA actually would ban anyone who called out such image theft, so that's when I lost all respect for that agency and pulled all my images off it.

Obviously the same here at Shutterstock now. Instead of banning the thieves SS have banned one of the most decent people here because he brings the thieves into the light. Where's the moral in this? SS should hire him instead. Large scale sales of stolen images can now continue - in the dark.  

Didnt think i'd have anything on there at all.

The turtle is my 3rd top selling image and appears to be onsale there for significantly less than elsewhere.

The only other one i have, horses in the snow has sold exactly once.  Years ago for $0.38.  Yet its 5x the cost of the other one.

How do they set these prices?

Edit:- The horse and snow is from Getty not SS.  Why the huge price discrepancy?

I wouldn't be surprised if SS is keeping all the profit off the images sold at FAA and the contributors are getting nothing.

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

Obviously the same here at Shutterstock now. Instead of banning the thieves SS have banned one of the most decent people here because he brings the thieves into the light. Where's the moral in this? SS should hire him instead. Large scale sales of stolen images can now continue - in the dark.  

just saw that.  wow

@jeffde I think we need some clarification here, found four of mine on there also. Not acceptable, at least need an opt out choice specifically for FAA, not all partner sites, just FAA so we are not competing with ourselves. This industry gets seedier and seedier, I sometimes feel dirty just being part of it.

44 minutes ago, Eric Krouse said:

@Steve Cukrov your wine corks picture is on there. You can search by your SS contributor name in their FAA gallery. Laurin's got 3, Phil has a cardinal, Richard a sea turtle, etc, etc and so forth.

Thanks, I know - it's the only one of mine so far, and I'm not happy about it.

This is also very harmful to artists and photographers that willingly uploaded their work to FAA, not realizing they're competing with micro stock images as well.

Bad deal all around.

1 hour ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

So a direct question to SS - what commission do WE get paid for a sale on that site?

I don't have anything at FAA anymore but would be interested to know how much we get for FAA sales...hope for the most but fear for the least (sub or mini-SOD)!

This has been going on for about a year and I am pretty sure there is a thread about it somewhere.

I couldn't find that thread but I did find the one about a similar situation with Amazon. I can inmagine that the deal SS has with Amazon is similar to the one with FAA

https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/90519-amazons-posters-prints-program/page/2/

Also, if I remember correctly (would have to double check that I can't do right now), but clients are already allowed to purchase a regular licence for a print for their personal wall, which would pay us a lot less than the FAA or Amazon deal. Something to think about