Updates to our Similar Content Policy

15 hours ago, Hemin Xylan said:

Hi,

I submitted 2 vectors of a same theme with different designs, the only thing similar with both vectors are the title and extra icons set that i placed on the same spot because i wanted a uniform representation of my works. One got approved, another one rejected for similar. I fail to understand this similar policy. Attached are the vectors. Are they similar?

A1.jpg

xx06AS-INFOG-ICT.jpg

To better understand, here is an example of what IS acceptable

Capture.JPG

cat.JPG

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they always can buy vertical or horizontal,  or square  or many other format that SS Offers to the buyer.  

they have that option already    

Seriously!!!??? 

Posted Images

On 10/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, Denis Costille said:

I opened a ticket. At first, of course, I got an answer from an expert contirbutor but I said I absolutely wanted to reach the SS team. I got a message saying they will check with the review team and come back to me.

last time i got that, by the time they finally came back it took more than 3 weeks, so the rejection were gone from my file, and they could only refer to the SS number, which meant nothing to me....  so make a print screen with that information...  

On 10/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, Mihai_Tamasila said:

I agree with the similar content policy but only when it actually works the way it should (as it is written in the support article). I had to resubmit some of my photos that got hit by similar content rejection and trust me, their only similarity was probably in the word Pano(rama). An example below; and no, I don't have any other that are similar to the rejected (now accepted) one in my portfolio.

image.thumb.png.d0298ae94264fff0fac1514a0460ca0a.png

did you have similar descriptions and KW? 

19 hours ago, jean-francois.me said:

To better understand, here is an example of what IS acceptable

Capture.JPG

cat.JPG

And here is what is not.... because if a customer is looking for a black cat with yellow collar, I am sure he absolutely needs this huge selection! Because no two images here are so alike that they could possibly be used for the same purpose!
But if a customer is looking for a German Oktoberfest-themed image with a dog with a Bavarian hat, he is supposed to settle for a Halloween-themed dog with a witch hat, because that's basically the same.... 🤨

Unbenannt-1.jpg

hi Firn IMHO it seems that the reviewers are taking it upon themselves to make business decisions without the wider knowledge of the variances in the world market place, your two images make this perfectly clear as neither would fit the brief of the other as they are so far apart. Surely the fact that the little dog is the same model in each image is just the basis of the context offered. Yes that is the similarity but in no way a reason to reject what to a discerning buyer would be considered the same! So taking this analygy further if we use the same model (say human or inanimate)  in different scenarios it seems the reviewer would choose one or two and discard the rest? But as already pointed out we seek sensible solutions to those determined to overkill on the similars issues...just my thought though as seem to happen to me usually between horizontal and vertical images!

I occasionally  sell vintage images and nature photos in sepia and black and white. I submitted images of an antique saloon piano and piano stool in color, sepia and black and white. The black and white was rejected for "similar content". So, am I t assume that black and white images are no longer acceptable? This seems a bit absurd. Let the customer choose, not the reviewer.

sorry but we are not insulting anyone on the review panel ... to discuss what is happening is both business like and professional. As contributors IMHO we are trying to make a living and provide the buyer with what we consider are images for review sensibly and consistently...so then at least we have some direction from SS and their main object being to make sales and profit too out of our hard work and time spent in the process...especially when some are having images accepted by other micro stock sites...

I do mostly video.

“Stacks” are a concept in Adobe Lightroom that would work for grouping similar variants on an image or video, when there is a real need to include them — but engineering it would be a challenge I bet. 

In the search results grid you would see just one instance of the cover thumbnail for the stack, and perhaps there is a little corner indicator showing that there are more in the stack. And the thumbnail has a frame around it that gives the sense that it is the top of a stack of images. Click on the stack to see all the variants.

Perhaps the account holder gets to choose the main stack thumbnail. And still have the reviewing staff decide whether the variants actually present viable options and are not just degrees of redundancy - applying important nuance in the decision.  

Case in point the current policy doesn’t provide for and “stacks” might: clips at different speeds but showing the same content. Would a slow motion, a real time, and a time lapse of the same scene, say a city street, get rejected right now because they all “look” the same? 

I submitted two videos the other day at different speeds of fog pouring over a ridge, and the reviewer accepted the 4X one but not the realtime one.  I really would like to offer my buyers both so they would have both speeds at the proper number of frames per second.

Michael Warnick above has a similar case in many ways, with different color treatments of a vintage image.  Perhaps the reviewer would use a guide that allowed for markedly different color treatments to be approved but subtly different ones to not. 

Just some food for thought and ideas for SS. 

Here is how “stacks” work in Lightroom:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/grouping-photos-stacks.html

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mihai_Tamasila said:

Description was different but keywords similar since both images are at sunset, both have grass,sky,clouds etc.

that might have hit the algorithm.   we don't really know what they look for similar, they might think "person thinks these are so similar they don't deserve different KW and or descriptions plus image hit similar pattern".  

it's one big problem as we get no clarification from SS what is similar,  according to them, just anecdotal evidence 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:25 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

In order to improve the overall quality of the Shutterstock image collection, we are updating our policy for review of similar content. We avoid accepting Similar Content because it creates a poor user experience for customers and contributors by having large volumes of nearly identical images or clips. Browsing through large volumes of repetitive search results is time-consuming, and prevents customers from purchasing relevant content that fits their needs.

We are outlining tighter guidelines for what we consider to be similar content and this policy will now also apply to footage submissions. You can review the details of the policy changes and check out visual examples in the Contributor Support article Why was my content rejected for Similar Content?  This policy will go into effect starting on August 12, 2019.

As a result of these stricter guidelines, some of you may encounter rejections of some types of content that was previously accepted. Please take the time to review explanations and examples provided in the support article and contact us if you have additional questions.

And as always, thanks for your continued support and participation in our marketplace!

Got that --  What I don't understand is the following: Submitted two images of the same motive, one landscape the othe one portrait format --  I know from my 25 years experience in the publishing business that editors (clients) in some cases require landscape format of a given motive and in other cases portrait format (eg for title pages etc) are required --

In the given instance the landscape one was accepted whereas the portrait one was rejected (similar content) --  Would you be kind enough to clarify, thanks --

jad190344ss72dpi.thumb.jpg.7a956d44dcbbe681e7aa424abff480c4.jpgjad190342ss72dpi.thumb.jpg.f1052ef1538df368a069992d28bfc254.jpg

3 hours ago, joachim affeldt said:

Got that --  What I don't understand is the following: Submitted two images of the same motive, one landscape the othe one portrait format --  I know from my 25 years experience in the publishing business that editors (clients) in some cases require landscape format of a given motive and in other cases portrait format (eg for title pages etc) are required --

In the given instance the landscape one was accepted whereas the portrait one was rejected (similar content) --  Would you be kind enough to clarify, thanks --

It says

Not Acceptable:

• Simple vertical/horizontal orientation changes

on the "Why was my content rejected for Similar Content?"- Page. That's the rule and I am afraid that is the only kind of clarification you'll get from Shutterstock.

It's funny though, because I remember reading a Shutterstock blog not too long before the new rule in which it was specifically suggested  that we should offer clients vertical and horizontal options of an image.

5 hours ago, Firn said:

It says

on the "Why was my content rejected for Similar Content?"- Page. That's the rule and I am afraid that is the only kind of clarification you'll get from Shutterstock.

It's funny though, because I remember reading a Shutterstock blog not too long before the new rule in which it was specifically suggested  that we should offer clients vertical and horizontal options of an image.

Thanks a lot for your elucidatory reply; it all doesn't make sense --  Furthermore I think that the rule regarding "Simple vertical/horizontal orientation changes" refers to just turning the same image by 90 degrees which is not the case here --  Guess that different reviewers digest the given rules in different ways from time to time --

2 hours ago, joachim affeldt said:

Guess that different reviewers digest the given rules in different ways from time to time --

Yes, some reviewers digest the new rules differently and others have never heard of them.

In your case, a landscape and a portrait format is similar, while I just saw about 80 new images in another port, all at the same location, probably shot in burst mode.

I have nothing against rules but they should be applied to everyone.