Updates to our Similar Content Policy

this new policy is a total disaster in my opinion. at least how SS is implementing it.

when someone uploads 10 times the same image from different angles i can understand why you don´t want this.

but stuff can have the same background and have a real sales value.

when a clients needs a background for the match italy vs. germany he is not satsisfied with an image germany vs. france.

2019-08-14_232545.jpg

alamy, dreamstimes, istock, 123rf, depositphotos, adobe stock.... all of them have no issues with the content being "too similiar".

there are millions of "grunge texture" in the SS database (search for that term). basically black scratches or spots on a white background (or vice versa).. but this is too similiar?

😞

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they always can buy vertical or horizontal,  or square  or many other format that SS Offers to the buyer.  

they have that option already    

Seriously!!!??? 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Lightboxx said:

this new policy is a total disaster in my opinion. at least how SS is implementing it.

when someone uploads 10 times the same image from different angles i can understand why you don´t want this.

but stuff can have the same background and have a real sales value.

when a clients needs a background for the match italy vs. germany he is not satsisfied with an image germany vs. france.

2019-08-14_232545.jpg

alamy, dreamstimes, istock, 123rf, depositphotos, adobe stock.... all of them have no issues with the content being "too similiar".

there are millions of "grunge texture" in the SS database (search for that term). basically black scratches or spots on a white background (or vice versa).. but this is too similiar?

😞

SS stated that they were doing the customers requested, since they are paying the bills, it would appear they are fine with this. 

curious are these upcoming match ups?

4 hours ago, jean-francois.me said:

SS stated that they were doing the customers requested, since they are paying the bills, it would appear they are fine with this. 

curious are these upcoming match ups?

Not that i know.

I doubt customer requested THIS. 

sales say something different. it is just another bad implemented idea.

25 minutes ago, Lightboxx said:

Not that i know.

I doubt customer requested THIS.  it is just another bad implemented idea.

considering FIFA has 211 members this would be over 44000 images (half if you don't care about home team)   .  i do think this is possibly what customers have asked . 

the issue is they never took what they accepted seriously.   someone has already spammed the football flag vs flag with totally ridiculous match ups, including countries facing themselves .  i actually hope SS doesn't grandfather these. they are the ones who messed it up for us 

Yeh well i sell these images. While others wonder that their cat, dogs and flower photos don't sell. So obviously there is demand for this.

I sold this for political backgrounds, handball, soccer, volleyball etc

I mean this is not only losing me money. And there are unlimited numbers of patterns. Did customers request there is only one caro or fabric pattern? I don't think so.... and sales prove it.

19 minutes ago, Lightboxx said:

Yeh well i sell these images. While others wonder that their cat, dogs and flower photos don't sell. So obviously there is demand for this.

I sold this for political backgrounds, handball, soccer, volleyball etc

I mean this is not only losing me money. And there are unlimited numbers of patterns. Did customers request there is only on caro or fabric pattern? I don' think so.... and sales prove it.

problem is your predecessors spammed.   how many times do you figure Belgium vs Belgium sold?  Iraq vs Israel ?

they are the ones you need to be mad at.  Is SS bringing the pendulum too far to rebalance probably,  but people spammed and we are paying for it.

someone has already spammed the football flag vs flag with totally ridiculous match ups, including countries facing themselves

i sure would prefer to add such images to my portfolio than, for example, flower images.
because no matter how many of them on SS, sure not as much as other motives.

and honestly who cares when they are sold? :)

when i look at facebook groups and the portfolio statistics posted there, i sold more of these images than other people sold overall with their whole portfolio.
i am not saying that to brag, i am just a small fish who does this for fun and to earn some extra money,  but to give a perspective.

i made SS money with these images.

i mean these images are individual and have an individual use for a client.
they are not a series of 10 images where i moved the camera 10 inch every picture or waited that an animal or person moved a meter.

if SS would only accept unique IDEAS / MOTIVES from now on.... that would be something different.
that would mean that thousand and thousand of motives that are photographed to dead are not accepted anymore.

there are millions of rose flower photos on SS.
how many times can you photograph a rose straight on?

hundred thousands of photos of bakery displays.
still you got an image that is in the SS database a thousand times accepted as i see.
and there are thousands of people who photographed basically the same motive.

how many images of windows, images of flat lays with a handy and a pencil or business man shaking hands does the world needs?
each of these images from different contributors are a bit different.... but they are more or less also interchangeable

and SS is still accepting THESE kind of images.

imho it makes no sense how this selection process works right now.

ps:

how many times do you figure Belgium vs Belgium sold?  Iraq vs Israel ?

Iraq vs Israel.... don´t know quite often from my own experience.
sure more often then most dog or butterfly pictures i have in my portfolio.

honestly you are guessing.... but i know. ;)

how many times do you think senegal vs. algeria sold this year or brazil vs. serbia?

and not only for sport but for political reasons.

i sold USA vs. CHINA when the US gov introduced tarifs on adobe alone 8 times on a day.
there was no such sports match at that time...

scotland vs. england sold for 3 figures on alamy (brexit).

portugal vs. argentina two times this week. both to the same client (same location, same day).
one time with a clean background one time with a cloud background.
but customers obviously don´t want variations on SS......

2019-08-15_124630.jpg

3 hours ago, Lightboxx said:

i sure would prefer to add such images to my portfolio than, for example, flower images.
because no matter how many of them on SS, sure not as much as other motives.

and honestly who cares when they are sold? :)

when i look at facebook groups and the portfolio statistics posted there, i sold more of these images than other people sold overall with their whole portfolio.
i am not saying that to brag, i am just a small fish who does this for fun and to earn some extra money,  but to give a perspective.

i made SS money with these images.

i mean these images are individual and have an individual use for a client.
they are not a series of 10 images where i moved the camera 10 inch every picture or waited that an animal or person moved a meter.

if SS would only accept unique IDEAS / MOTIVES from now on.... that would be something different.
that would mean that thousand and thousand of motives that are photographed to dead are not accepted anymore.

there are millions of rose flower photos on SS.
how many times can you photograph a rose straight on?

hundred thousands of photos of bakery displays.
still you got an image that is in the SS database a thousand times accepted as i see.
and there are thousands of people who photographed basically the same motive.

how many images of windows, images of flat lays with a handy and a pencil or business man shaking hands does the world needs?
each of these images from different contributors are a bit different.... but they are more or less also interchangeable

and SS is still accepting THESE kind of images.

imho it makes no sense how this selection process works right now.

ps:

Iraq vs Israel.... don´t know quite often from my own experience.
sure more often then most dog or butterfly pictures i have in my portfolio.

honestly you are guessing.... but i know. ;)

how many times do you think senegal vs. algeria sold this year or brazil vs. serbia?

and not only for sport but for political reasons.

i sold USA vs. CHINA when the US gov introduced tarifs on adobe alone 8 times on a day.
there was no such sports match at that time...

scotland vs. england sold for 3 figures on alamy (brexit).

portugal vs. argentina two times this week. both to the same client (same location, same day).
one time with a clean background one time with a cloud background.
but customers obviously don´t want variations on SS......

2019-08-15_124630.jpg

i understand.  and your pairing i've seen are reasonable, but i can also understand why SS has issue with someone who did 13000 pairings, including countries facing themselves, and things like Bangladesh vs Swaziland .....  these spammers have really messed it up.  

Enough mockery.
Your inspector simply proves to the curators his 'effectiveness', instead of cutting off files with real violation of the rules.
These images look differents. These signs use different color standards for different countries. This is a different isolated backgrounds. This is a different angles of position of the object in preview. This is a different grids of storyboard. 
What the hell are you doing?

stop to stupid.jpg

On 8/15/2019 at 4:52 AM, jean-francois.me said:

Is SS bringing the pendulum too far to rebalance probably,  but people spammed and we are paying for it.

Yup that covers it. I just can't wait for my newest similar rejection for uploading different cars and drivers from the same race taken at the same position. I think they have swung way too far to the other side of similar now, or some reviewers are taking the similar stance to an extreme.

Maybe I need to edit some and upload just to see how distorted this has become.

SS created the problem, by accepting too many similar and spammed up collections, now they are going to punish us for their past history of not following their own rules? Sad way to handle things.

Happy to say my one of a kind or 2-3 of any setup, will now be the rule for awhile. I won't have to change my personal policy or be held back by restricting my limited efforts. LOL 😄

Hi Ederella it seems to me it is the opinion of the reviewer as to what they will let through and accept...I agree that endless similars frustrate any buyer and unecessary but it is not fair with the inconsistency being found for some contributors work and it is work editing and keywording to produce a quality image. As already said there has to be some variations of a theme to help the buyer fulfill a project to its completion and offered a sensible choice within a themed set and will facilitate that brief. Can't have a 'one size fits all' mindset as this will annoy the buyer as much as too many similars and then go elsewhere to complete that assignment IMHO ...I had a horizontal image rejected and the portrait landscape view accepted!! and the scene wasnot the same angle taken...so work that one out? especially if the 'article' you need it for with text can only take one or the other...

It would be better if Shutterstock will focus on clearing the image base of already accepted garbage. In the meantime, we are beholding the large-scale simulation of work. More and more evidence of unfair rejections appears at the Russian-language forum (microstoсk.ru). It seems that the inspectors mark the normal content like a 'similar' in order to just fulfill the daily 'Anti-similar' plan and report to the curator about their good results.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

In order to improve the overall quality of the Shutterstock image collection, we are updating our policy for review of similar content. We avoid accepting Similar Content because it creates a poor user experience for customers and contributors by having large volumes of nearly identical images or clips. Browsing through large volumes of repetitive search results is time-consuming, and prevents customers from purchasing relevant content that fits their needs.

We are outlining tighter guidelines for what we consider to be similar content and this policy will now also apply to footage submissions. You can review the details of the policy changes and check out visual examples in the Contributor Support article Why was my content rejected for Similar Content?  This policy will go into effect starting on August 12, 2019.

As a result of these stricter guidelines, some of you may encounter rejections of some types of content that was previously accepted. Please take the time to review explanations and examples provided in the support article and contact us if you have additional questions.

And as always, thanks for your continued support and participation in our marketplace!

great

On 8/21/2019 at 10:28 AM, Ederella said:

Today 2 if my vector files was rejected for being too similar and I thought was absolutely unfair! Meanwhile I see tons of similar content accepted yesterday. Here are few examples. 2019-08-21_09-01-48.thumb.png.72ce13c4d7ed3d50f945e8496794b3f5.png

This bread explosion is enormous!

2019-08-21_09-03-34.thumb.png.9547bbc45abbe6756b5efea91e4a7609.png

2019-08-21_09-06-34.thumb.png.ebfd5811013257701a7844ea61cf11e0.png

Other stocks accepted all my "similar" files.

@Anna Shutterstock can you please clarify how these are ACCEPTABLE? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The standards being applied are clearly a result of not understanding the buyer market.  Horizontal and Vertical shots are used in different situations.  A smile vs a frown are different, yet are being rejected for similar content.  A full length is rejected because a head shot is accepted.  I had 4 different shots of Gerard Butler, all but one rejected.  The one approved was a angle not looking in camera, while the looking in camera was rejected.

In celebrity editorial content, photo buyers look for different angles, expressions, crops, and poses for different reasons.  Your application of this is EXTREME and limits options in celebrity editorial photos.  I routinely have direct eye contact, side views, and horizontal crops used.  I also have strange angles, and yes, even every image of a celebrity bought.

Please take another look at your policies and who is applying them before tanking my sales and yours.  The reviewers are clearly throwing the baby out with the bath water.

SHAPE UP, please!

5 minutes ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

Horizontal and Vertical shots are used in different situations. 

I recently submitted two shots of a waterfall (one vertical/portrait and the other in landscape/horizontal) with that thought. Though I realize one can crop a photo, one type of shot might be more useful than another for a particular use. One was rejected for being too similar! I realize that  the reviewers can't read minds and realize I wasn't about to submit 100 variations of the same photo.

I figure that for outdoor/landscape photos an arguement could be made for allowing 1 horizontal and 1 vertical shot. And for a handful of "similars" (same location, view, etc), but from different seasons (eg, 1 summer, one fall showing fall foliage, and then 1 in winter with water iced over/snow on the ground/etc) and/or showing vastly different weather (eg, clear skies vs. Dense fog). As long as a port didn't have, say 50 of each instance each photo might find an audience/use. 

Of course others might disagree.

Hi Adam had the same happen to me as I deliberately took a portrait and horizontal to include different aspects of a local landscape and horizon with wind turbines to create a useful image but one kept the other rejected. It is not always possible to crop meaningfully to place with an article or book cover space especially where text is necessary. I would concurr that IMHO reviewers need to widen out their mindset and not just 'see' the image but its usefulness in the buyer market. This will lose us and SS sales and frustrate the buyer used to a sensible variety of choice and as said not allowing the endless shots of a tin can! Although not as experienced a photographer as many here part of my thinking is creative and the way an image can be marketed and also give the prospective buyer opportunity to be helped to get ideas for a brief...